IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

Got my xbox back today - took about a week to turn around from Germany.

However, I can't even turn the thing on - it red rings immediately. So much for the "Rigerous two hour computer generated and monitored final test" :(

Got my xbox back today - took about a week to turn around from Germany.

However, I can't even turn the thing on - it red rings immediately. So much for the "Rigerous two hour computer generated and monitored final test" :(

a full red ring? or the 3-parter?

Currently I get the amazing disc spindown problem where the disc stops spinning mid-game and so the game I'm playing will either promptly crash, or if it has cached level data (like Halo 3) it'll crash when it next tries to load something.

So far this has meant I cannot complete Cortana on Legendary on Halo 3 (I can live with this), have had occasional problems with Dead Rising, but more importantly it crashes during the credits of Ninja Gaiden 2 which means that I don't get to make my final save which registers the fact that I've completed it. This has happened twice now and the second time nearly involved me pitching my controller at my TV.

Unfortunately the console is out of warranty (bought in December 2006), but I did get the RROD once a few months ago. So could I send it back citing intermittent RROD as the fault?

Unfortunately the console is out of warranty (bought in December 2006), but I did get the RROD once a few months ago. So could I send it back citing intermittent RROD as the fault?

I was getting a really noisy disc and occasional hangs (about 2 a week) for about 3 months before it finally red ringed - I'd say go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought my (65nm Falcon) 360 just over two months ago and it already seems to be on the way out. Just tried loading a previous save of Mass Effect several times, and it froze each time. Gave up and tried loading Losy Odyssey instead - same problem. Sticks at the loading screen. Is this a recognised problem?

Ok, I finally managed to load a Lost Odyssey game - and everything was working perfectly for about five seconds, until the game slowed down to about two frames per second then froze completely. Two months old, this console! Two months! Amazing.

So less than a week and my Elite arrived back. At least on 1st glance I thought it was mine.

The side was covered in solvent marks where the previous owner ( not me ) had placed stickers and the engineer had removed them with solvent. some scratches and marks on the sides of the console and the power button

Think of the scene in Misery where Kathy Bates discovers her Penguin had been moved slightly, and thats me, maybe I should just be happy that I can play again. But I am pretty annoyed to say the least. My console was perfect in every way, I don't know if the marks, dents and the likes were caused by the engineer, or they fix them and place a matching serial sticker to my old one on as a rule.

I know this isn't my old one

Its defo not my old one and although the serial no is the same, the sticker with the number on is different.

It's one of them, do I have a wobbly and lose having it for another week or 2 or just get on with it. Either way it's a bit cheeky on their behalf.

*sigh*

I think my 360's about to bite the bullet. Again. Got fun fuzziness/ghosting on screen, which itself was merrily jerking about. Turned it off, 'just in case', but I can see a call being made to Microsoft in a little while. Ho-hum.

Hey guys can I join your gang, can I, can I, can I, pleeeeease!

Yup my 360 has finally borked (after 2 and a bit years) with a nice fat juicy RROD so I'm finally member of the club. :P

Mixed feelings to be honest, not playing it much (or anything for that matter) so I'm not up in arms. I'll probably just pop out and buy a new Elite or Premium - anything to get a quieter drive & HDMI really. Still it might be worth repairing the old one and flogging it.

I've just checked on service.xbox.com and it states "out of warranty" when I register my serial number, but I thought MS extended all warranties to 3 years???

Yes, RRoD is in addition to the standard 1 year warrenty.

Ok cheers, so pick up the phone on Monday and call them?

Reading thorough the thread, it seems like it can all be done online, so no need to deal with shitty call centres. phew!

OK more RROD noob questions...

If a buy a new model (say while the old one is off being repaired) I'm going to have problems getting my stuff (games and saves) across onto the new one?

So wait for the old one to come back and use the transfer cable jobbie?

Damn! this has gone from being simply to a big ball ache

OK more RROD noob questions...

If a buy a new model (say while the old one is off being repaired) I'm going to have problems getting my stuff (games and saves) across onto the new one?

So wait for the old one to come back and use the transfer cable jobbie?

Damn! this has gone from being simply to a big ball ache

There's a tool to help you reassign your licenses: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...censemigration/