IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

I tried my 360 this morning and it actually worked! I'm not sure if its because its a little warmer at the moment, but it just doesn't seem to like working in the evening! Which isn't ideal as its the only time I can play on it. Have other people experienced this inconsistency with the 3 red lights? I presume its only a matter of time before it packs in completely.

Mine works when cold, but after ten minutes or so it freezes, switch it off and on again and it's a RRoD.

Why fork out for another one, why not just demand an exchange under the Sale of Goods Act?

Edit: Just a wee update about mine, spoke to Gamestation agian this morning and I'm getting my 21 month old console replaced in store tomorrow and I'm able to swap the HDDs over so I don't lose all my data! I'm a happy bloke now :(

I got my first RROD yesterday. It’s my third 360 system but the first which has actually died and given me the RROD.

UPS are collecting it today, just to check am I right in thinking that MS fix the consoles free of charge beyond the 1 year warranty period? Thought I heard that they started doing that due to the high number of dying consoles.

Also out of interest is the Elite meant to be any more reliable than the standard 360? I am tempted to trade in my old system for an Elite once I get the fixed unit back, not sure if I can justify the £100ish upgrade for what is essentially the same system though…

Mine works when cold, but after ten minutes or so it freezes, switch it off and on again and it's a RRoD.

Why fork out for another one, why not just demand an exchange under the Sale of Goods Act?

I bought mine from play.com, I'm not sure if anyone else has experience returning something to an internet company? I think I'll send it off to MS and hope to get decent life out if it after that. If it happens again I'll look into getting a free replacement.

So it I have registered my xbox for repair and MS have sent me an email saying there are three methods for collection, however they have only sent me the electronic UPS label so far so am I right in assuming they won't be sending me a box?

The problem is when I retrieve the UPS label it says there is a lable cannot be retrvied and I need to check the link. Presume my only course of action is request another one from MS?

Goddam, my 360 is fucked again but it won't red ring no matter what I do.

Basically, I get a few minutes of game, then it crashes with a checkerboard style distortion on screen. The machine hasn't even been used in a few months thanks to a lull in gaming on my part apart from MGS games.

There's no fucking way I'm paying MS to fix the machine only to be in the same boat in 12 months time, is there a DIY solution I can try? If all else fails, I can get a new 360 in October when there's actually games worth playing on it.

What colour does the light on the PSU go when the machine RRODs? I'm on the phone to MS atm trying to arrange a repair from work, where I don't have the machine with me. The agent didn't understand "intermittant" so I'm gonna tell her I'll call back.

What colour does the light on the PSU go when the machine RRODs? I'm on the phone to MS atm trying to arrange a repair from work, where I don't have the machine with me. The agent didn't understand "intermittant" so I'm gonna tell her I'll call back.

Mine stayed green I think...

Yeah say "green".

I was asked the same question when my machine went, and I couldnt be arsed to go to the other room and power it up.

I said Red at first, then she went straight into a speel saying its the power supply in my area .. until I said "Oh the PSU itself? Green!"

Looks like MS may be limiting damage by claiming if your PSU is red, then thats the issue.

:lol:

OK yet more noob questions

I've got the UPS label, do I need to box it all up and affix my label then arrange for collection, or do UPS have something more organised?

Yeah need to put only the console in the box, no pads, PSUs, tv leads, or faceplate, just the console itself.

Of course you could always "forget" to eject the disc (despite them reminding you) and write to them later saying your GTA was still in the drive :lol:

Oh, and they get into a strop if you mention "Microsoft" on the box, they are REALLY keen not to let anyone have any ideas about the number that are returned.

Of course you could always "forget" to eject the disc (despite them reminding you) and write to them later saying your GTA was still in the drive ;)

Shit just remembered - Rock Band is still in the drive!!!! :lol: <rushes off and plugs console back in>

She's all boxed up and ready to go, I've spoke to UPS, and like a twat I've left it to Friday to sort this out! so no collection for me (I'm working away for the next 2 weeks) gonna have to drop it at the USP depot, oh well. Might pick up my Elite on the way back :P

So do they email you when its on its way back or does it just turn up one day?

You get an email saying it has left the workshop. It goes something like;

Day 1 - email from Microsoft

Day 2 - tracking number live on UPS site - giving delivery time as day 3

Day 3 - you can track the movement from your local depot (the longest part of ths journey naturally).

So far both machines have been delivered on the day advised on the UPS site.

They seem to have the turnaround down to 7-8 days now.

Strike two! Sort of. Last time it was just two red lights which apparently was probably something to do with the scale chip. Full red ring this time though. The lady on the phone was very nice though. With a bit of luck they'll replace rather than repair it this time, if only to delay the next inevitable next rrod for a little longer. She kind of hinted that on a 2nd repair they're more likely to replace, but obvioulsy she couldn't actually say one way or the other. Stupid hot glaswegian weather.

Fucky fucky twat shit...

So I've sent of my old fucked 360 and bought a new Elite today.... So I have 2 HDDs, one old 20Gb full of my stuff and the new 120Gb

My "plan" to use a mem card to copy my game save data over to the new HDD is a bit flawed.

Firstly the mem card holds absolutely fuck all and even doing just game saves, it's going to take forever. And each time I swap the hard drives over the console tells me by profile is invalid and I need transfer it again (Recover gamertag). Which takes about 20 minutes, fuck knows why but it takes foever to download my profile.

Worse than all that, my Rock Band save refuses to copy, FUUUUUCCCCK ! That's untold hours of gaming down the fucking pan. Yeah thanks guys nice feature that.

Sorry for all the swearing buy I'm seriously pissed

Panic over

I've put the profile on the mem card, so now it's happy each time I swap the HDD over.

Also I found that the 360 will not let you copy some saves (Rock Band being one of these) but it will let you move the data, which is fine by me.

Phew!

I rang UPS to collect my 360 from a friends shop as I wasnt going to be in all day. They said fine, we'll collect today. As I put the phone down what do I see out of my window? A UPS van. Shit, best get my 360 to where it's being collected. So I basically had to chase the van to the shop to be picked up about 5 minutes after I'd rang. Thats pretty good service :(

Panic over

I've put the profile on the mem card, so now it's happy each time I swap the HDD over.

Also I found that the 360 will not let you copy some saves (Rock Band being one of these) but it will let you move the data, which is fine by me.

Phew!

Easier way to copy everything from the 20 to 120 is this -

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=169117

Weird thing I noticed the other day - Streets of Rage 2 won't remember that I've paid for it (this is after a RRoD, old HDD, new machine). I've deleted it and redownloaded it but it still comes up with the 'unlock this game for achievements...' thing every time. How do I make it remember?

:(

Drat and double drat!

My Premium, bought last week, has just carved some pretty rings into my GTA IV disc. Was getting the odd disc read error before that when watching DVDs. Bought it from Play as well, so getting it replaced won't be as simple as just taking it back to the fucking shop.

They won't do it either. The damage isn't a manufacturing fault. You will either have to speak to Microsoft to get them to pony up for the replacement and/or Take 2/Rockstar.

Ah joy, third xbox and I'm having more red light and random crash problems. Checked the website and it says that I'm out of warranty. Called them up, mentioned 3 red lights and they said Ok we'll pick it up. FREE OF CHARGE. Thank christ for that. Presuming they send me another free of charge it'll be my 4th one. No way I'm going to pay them to repair it, so if they ask for money I'm not having it. I'd rather go get a new one.

The thing is I love my 360, so I can't envision myself not having one.