IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

Okay a mate at work has given me the box that he got his repaired machine sent back in so I'm going to go online and get a label to return my 360.

What do I need to do. I want to keep the HDD if possible. DO they repair mine or do they send me a new one?

Dude, I apologise, it wasn't directed at you. I was just incredibly annoyed. I appreciate your help.

No bother mate. Let's try and get this sorted. Your options are ring up MS and get it fixed, tell your mate. Send it to me, i'll fix it, but the warranty will become void.

Maybe it has no warranty? Do you know if he bought it new? Is the sticker intact under the faceplate?

No bother mate. Let's try and get this sorted. Your options are ring up MS and get it fixed, tell your mate. Send it to me, i'll fix it, but the warranty will become void.

Maybe it has no warranty? Do you know if he bought it new? Is the sticker intact under the faceplate?

I thought my mate would have to do all of that, assuming he's already registered it (he's had trouble in the past, I think)?

I'm really annoyed about this, my mate is a decent guy but he has this unreasonable streak and I think he's going to throw a wobbly and expect me to pay for it.

I thought my mate would have to do all of that, assuming he's already registered it (he's had trouble in the past, I think)?

I'm really annoyed about this, my mate is a decent guy but he has this unreasonable streak and I think he's going to throw a wobbly and expect me to pay for it.

Well, if it's less than 3 years old then there's nothing to pay anyway.

Yeah, I know, but I meant that if you weren't lying, you'd have to pay for any fault other than the RROD, wouldn't you?

I'm wondering how to handle this. I can't get in contact with my mate, but I want to get the ball rolling on this so he doesn't moan. But i'm not sure if he registered his, and so I don't want to put the serial number of his 360 into the repairs centre thing.

Hmmm.

I organised for UPS to come yesterday but they didn't manage it and so picked it up this morning. The chap said he'd picked up a few 360s that day already, that he picked some up every day pretty much, then went into to say they were dodgy consoles and wouldn't touch one with a bargepole ;)

UPS must be laughing all the way to the bank thanks to MS.

I was about to order a repair from Microsoft's Repair Site. It tells me that they will give me a shipping label by email and I print it off. I then have to send it off to the service centre. Does this mean that I ring UPS to organise a pick up?

I was about to order a repair from Microsoft's Repair Site. It tells me that they will give me a shipping label by email and I print it off. I then have to send it off to the service centre. Does this mean that I ring UPS to organise a pick up?

Yes, quote the tracking number. I did it via the website, seems to work so far.

Mine has started giving the warning signs. Massive green graphical glitches in Fallout 3. Everything in Mirror's Edge is yellow. I'm pre-empting the RROD by ordering a x-clamp fix kit off ebay.

Anyone done the fix before? It seems fairly easy from the instructions.

If you want it to work and stay fixed mate just getting one of those kits isn't going to do it. All they do is replace the x-clamps, they don't attempt to put right the damage they have done.

They are a bit of a con to be honest as everything you need is at B&Q and Homebase. Have you got these near you?

This may be old news to everybody but there's a really in depth article on Microsoft and the RROD here: http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360...e-console-woes/
So if some are saying this article is late in the game, I'd like to say it is still valid. As a hardware engineer I'd say it is almost criminal how MS has let this junk out the door, but as long as they are willing to take the hit on their budget, and replace my console with a smile, I'll keep sending them back. Maybe they have it licked in 08? I think not as they are trying to cut costs.

The important lesson is spend as much as it takes up front to get the right product out the door, because it will cost you a heck of a lot more latter. How many engineering hours does a billion dollars (which is probably conservative) equal?

If you want it to work, your going to have to faff. :(

The x-clamps have caused the solder under your mobo (which is bending) to come away from it. It then cools, leaving bad joints in places. This needs reflowing, with a heatgun, otherwise you'll have about 1 - 3 months before it red rings again.

To be honest I would advise just doing the clamp fix first. I have done a fair few now and apart from a couple they have worked fine just using the kit. The kit is good enough to clamp down the duff solder joints again IMO.

It isn't that much of a hardship to use a heat gun afterwards if the clamp doesn't do the trick. If you are nervous at all and hit the wrong spots with the heat gun you will do more harm than good...imo