Piracy Poll

neoELITE

Which formats have you yarred  

500 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Theres no working ps3 backup playing method afaik, why is it on the list ^_^

I know but I thought I'd include it for scientific purposes. If I hadn't included it, someone would have said, "what about PS3".

I'm crap at creating polls on here too - so it'll get picked to bits. I'm not so much interested in the %, rather the numbers (it is also 8am on Saturday). We've had piracy threads before but never really been able to guage the actual scale of piracy.

I occassionaly pirate when it's very easy (like on the DS where the pirated product is actually better than the original) or if I want something really bad without a workable alternative (region or releasedates related). I don't feel guilty about it because I positively pump hundreds if not thousands a year in the industry and buy my favourite games anyway.

There are three main drawbacks to piracy for me:

1. If you can get and play anything without investment, you end up getting everything and playing nothing.

2. These days with ever updated firmware (protection), there is a constant arms race of counter-piracy and counter-counterpiracy going on which I can't really be arsed with.

3. Online bannings etc.

This is why I would never mod my 'real' consoles like the 360 or PS3.

I must have pirated hundreds of games on speccy, c64 and Amiga but bought loads too - I got my parents to sign up to the Britannia Game Ckub so I got at least one new game every month for about ten years.

I haven't pirated any GAME since the Amiga though, unless we're counting ROMS, emulators etc.

I put down PC, as when I was a schoolkid I did once get a copied version of something off a mate. I threw it away though; not paying for it seemed to lessen its value and I never got into it. Decided after that I wouldn't use pirated games again.

Yeah the "embarrassment of riches" side of it, is the main downside.

Back when I pirated the Dreamcast like a mofo it was simply a cycle of download/selfboot/burn/load/play for 10 mins, repeat.

You never played anything though to the end, in fact playing anything for more than an hour was an achievement

Not good.

EDIT: Same goes for the XBox now I think of it. ^_^

I've copied my fair share of spectrum/c64 games. Back when I was small I was happy for the extra games to play.

I have a NeoGeo CD system which plays CD-Rs, it made it pathetically easy to get hold of stuff like Metal Slug, Viewpoint and Pulstar.

Similar thing with the Dreamcast, once those region unlock discs became available I was getting hold of all sorts of stuff.

Nothing for the current systems though, except the odd emu/ROM. If it were easier I probably would do it tbh.

Yeah the "embarrassment of riches" side of it, is the main downside.

Back when I pirated the Dreamcast like a mofo it was simply a cycle of download/selfboot/burn/load/play for 10 mins, repeat.

You never played anything though to the end, in fact playing anything for more than an hour was an achievement

Not good.

EDIT: Same goes for the XBox now I think of it. ^_^

Exactly, same experience for me on the Xbox. A huge HDD in there with all the games you could ever want and you downloaded every new release, checked if it "worked" and never touched it again.

On the other hand, this doesn't happen on the DS with a nice flashcard full of games, it's actually preferable to the legit route because it's a true portable solution: one card with about 40 games on it in your pocket instead of dragging all those small easy to lose carts along. But handheld games generally require less dedication and are designed for short bursts on the go usually, so maybe that's the secret.

I've pirated on the PC and PSP. The former because, well, you're stretching back ten years when it comes to me having owned one, so it'd be pretty saintly of me not to have done so. I haven't pirated anything for three or four years, through a general lack of interest in PC gaming. I've a PSP running custom firmware, and have tried a couple of games out through downloading rather than purchasing, but not much.

Generally, I'm with Napoleon here. I'd end up with plenty of games that I'd never really play, and I really can't be fucked trying to keep ahead of the game, no matter how simple it might be. I also have a moral issue with rampant piracy - I could treat pirated games as demos with a clear conscience, but nothing more.

I've only included this gen as I have an issue with grown ups with disposable income pirating software and most of us were children at the Amiga/Speccy stage. I did pirate Amiga stuff but oddly, even having a tape to tape hi fi when I had a spectrum, I didn't do it as games were £1.99 and I could get one a week with my pocket money - my local indie store did a buy 4 and get the 5th free (they'd stamp a card). My experience of the Amiga (I must have been about 12 or 13 yrs old) was tarnished by pirating the discs as I barely played anything for more than an hour. I can understand children doing this as they don't have the disposable income to buy all the latest titles - some spoilt children do. My kids are lucky as my hobby is there's so they don't have to even think about it - they have a wealth of games to choose from on DS, 360 and Wii - if I caught them doing it though, I'd be most displeased.

I'm interested in the grown ups, this gen.

The previous gen I had a Cube and an Xbox and didn't pirate on those - nor did I during the gen before that, I had a PS One but didn't want to get involved in the whole Amiga experience all over again.

I've only included this gen as I have an issue with grown ups with disposable income pirating software

Why do you have an issue with it though? I really couldn't care less if somebody buys his game at full RRP from the highstreet, second hand from eBay or downloads it from obscure sources.

I do have issue with people charging money for illegal copies though, making money from somebody else's hard work. But if anybody prefers 'free samples' over paying full price ... well, I suppose they think we're idiots for spending good money on something that could be obtained for free.

What if you have yarred said game, then paid for it when you felt it deserving of you money? It is how I have done things in the past. For film, music and games. If it was easy enough to yarr, I would get the game. play it a bit then buy it if I enjoyed it. If I didn't like it. I didn't bother buying, however I also didn't play it again. Therefore, more money has been earned from me because of this. I won't mod a console though, they are too fragile these days. This is for the current gen only by the way. Since I got a family and money has become tighter. I can't just go and blow all my wages on games anymore. So if I spend out on a piece of shit, then it affects my pocket more than it used to. As an example... I heard about Slitherlink on the DS here, I downloaded it to see if I would really like it. After a few days I went and bought it from PlayAsia because of how good it was. That happens quite a lot on DS titles with us.

On the flip side of all this. I have started using Swapgame for my 360 needs and their 'Keep It' option. However because it is so hard to get the copy you want I only bother doing this for the 360 and not the DS.

Quick question. What is the difference between the following scenarios:

1 - I buy a game second hand of a friend, who has also bought it second hand somewhere. I have paid money but that hasn't then been passed to the developers of retail or anything.

2 - I download a game and it turns out the person I download it from (who has hosted it) had just gone out and paid full price for it.

What I am asking, is the legal act of the second hand market not also as bad as the illegal act of copyright theft?

I don't care about whether people who yarr or anything. However if you get caught, you get caught. Also, as with some above. If the games are that much easier to get then surely you won't spend as much time with them all.

I've only ever pirated stuff for the PC, PSX, and PS2. For the consoles, it was mostly for games I couldn't buy over here (big JRPG fan), so that felt sort of justified.

A friend of mine and I would download swathes of games for the PC, late-90s to early 00s. I would say it was a combination of not having any disposable income (we were school kids), and finding it something of a challenge, as it wasn't anywhere near as easy to do back then as it is today (you had to rely on usenet and IRC). We'd fill bin bags with CD-Rs full of everything we could get our hands on.

I haven't pirated anything for years now, with the exception of helping someone acquire the Adobe creative suite for her university course. I don't have as much time to play game these days, so I find I have more than enough money to spend on buying the ones I want. I don't pirate music, film, or TV either, for the same reasons.