Piracy Poll

neoELITE

Which formats have you yarred  

500 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm like most people in the respect that as a child I regularly pirated Spectrum and Amiga software without a care in the world. Each machine I have owned since then, that's all of the major console releases, has been legitimately supported with original software. The only hint of piracy in my house at the moment is on the DS and even then I'll simply delete the game if it's poor and buy the game if it's good.

You could probably blow the entire second sentence away if you saw my ROM collection... Oddly, I don't see this as piracy largely due to the fact that these games are for formats which have long since ceased to be sold.

I've acquired illegal copies of games. Never distributed them though. Mostly it's been on the PC, and in these cases it's been a "try before you buy" thing because no-one would release a demo for the game in question. These days you have things like the R4 and CFW for handhelds, and for the former I've again tried out a game before deciding whether or not to get the full game. Then there's my emulation habits - upon finding out that Gyakuten Saiban 3 (Phoenix Wright 3) had an English option, I downloaded and played the ROM from start to finish. But then I bought the import. And then I bought it again when it was released in the UK. I also emulate a lot of older stuff, and got a bollocking on this very forum because I played the Metal Slug games on MAME when apparently I should be buying the boards. It's a moot point now because I have the MS Anthology on PSP...and emulation's slowed right down recently so it's become much more of a curio than a hobby.

EDIT: as an aside, we got hold of a C64 in late 1990 when the machine was already on its way out, so prices were dropping and we had a bunch of old titles to seek out on budget. Not to mention the fact that monthly magazines would often put full games on their covertapes. Things like this meant that I hardly ever copied games for 8-bit machines.

I also emulate a lot of older stuff, and got a bollocking on this very forum because I played the Metal Slug games on MAME when apparently I should be buying the boards.

I spent years playing the roms before I got the boards, and Anthlology is rubbish compared to the originals (its just emulation again). But only nutjobs like me need to buy the boards, most people won't even notice or care about the differences ^_^

Not for current systems. I need to rephrase that, I haven't pirated games since the C64 days and I didn't know better at the time. I did mod some consoles to play imports though. Apart from moral issues, I simply get far more satisfaction from something I worked and paid for.

EDIT: I did play roms of old arcade and 16-bit games on my pc though.

Being doing it since the Spectrum days.

This gen it's PSP and Wii. It ruined the PSP for me, as Joyrex say an embarrassment of riches, the only games I ever beat on it was Ridge Racer (which I owned) and Tales of Eternia.

With the Wii, I homebrewed up last Christmas. Downloaded one game to check if it worked and haven't went near it since, that's more to do with the fact that there's not much on the Wii that appeals to me.

I've resisted flashing the 360 basically because I like the console and don't want to repeat my PSP experience.

Quick question. What is the difference between the following scenarios:

1 - I buy a game second hand of a friend, who has also bought it second hand somewhere. I have paid money but that hasn't then been passed to the developers of retail or anything.

2 - I download a game and it turns out the person I download it from (who has hosted it) had just gone out and paid full price for it.

What I am asking, is the legal act of the second hand market not also as bad as the illegal act of copyright theft?

I suppose from the developers' point of view, in the first scenario, only one person can own the game for each legitimate copy sold, if piracy is removed. Of course, they'd prefer people to buy the game and then not be able to sell it on (or even give it away or lend it, I suppose), but it's still better than the second situation, where, in theory, that one copy bought at full price could supply the whole of the internet-using world with the game.

I used backup devices on the Megadrive and Snes. In addition to mine and my brothers sizable MD / Snes collection we had perhaps 250+ floppies of MD games and 175+ Snes games.

It was the best shit ever. All my fondest gaming memories are from those times.

Aside from playing a handful of pirated DC games I havent really been near any yarred stuff since. Never felt the urge.

I think, whilst this is an interesting poll in itself, there are degrees of piracy - and that people will dip into it for different reasons.

Collectors.

They simply must have everything they can get - they probably don't play half the stuff they have and the stuff they do play is played for short periods at most. They make up the bulk of downloads and are probably the least harm as they'd often never even consider buying a game.

Must-be-Firsters.

They simply have to have something - preferably before release - to brag and crow about. They may or may not actually buy the game anyway but it's the "I have what you do not have" thing which drives them to the torrent sites etc.

Tightwads

A lot of parents will fall in here but it caters for allsorts. Basically they have no moral scruple to the piracy thing and simply look for the cheapest way to feed their/their kids habit. If Heroin were legal they'd buy Asda Value Heroin or even just inject baking powder ^_^

The Curious/Importers

People who want to play games not available in their region or not released there yet. Many of these will buy the games if they like them/can understand the language etc.etc. - but they use a pirated copy to check first (I'm one of these people).

The Desperate

They can't afford games and so piracy is the only way they'll ever play them. Obviously not a loss to anyone in most cases but you have to remember that what people can 'afford' is often a movable feast in itself.

The bottom line of that lot is that many people 'pirate' things but that doesn't mean they don't buy them. A great deal of piracy is by people who never would have bought it anyway and so the only 'harmful' part of it is that middle-ground of people who are a bit morally bankrupt, think if you can do it may as well do it etc. etc.

p.s. I think there's almost a "hell if they didn't want it to happen they wouldn't let people do it" mentality, even

I had a hooky version of Championship Manager 01/02 and must have used it for like a thousand hours or something. I always felt guilty about that. Aside from that I bought some Dreamcast discs off a guy and they didn't work so that's where my brief flirtation with the murky underworld ended.

I think, whilst this is an interesting poll in itself, there are degrees of piracy - and that people will dip into it for different reasons.

Collectors.

They simply must have everything they can get - they probably don't play half the stuff they have and the stuff they do play is played for short periods at most. They make up the bulk of downloads and are probably the least harm as they'd often never even consider buying a game.

etc.

Don't buy that argument, and I think selecting a little list of labels for a person is the easiest way of justifying an action that is patently wrong. No matter what warm and cuddly justification label you want to select for yourself or others, the fact remains that ALL people who pirate do so because they don't want to spend money or do not have sufficient self-control to wait for something. There is no barrier to the acquisition of games beyond money and time. If I want to play obscure PS2 NTSC-J games, there is a morally sound route for me to do so. It may be expensive, it might take a while to organise but it exists. Then the question turns to the fact that if you can't afford something, you shouldn't buy it, and if you can't wait, then perhaps you should be treated like the six year old on Christmas Eve you appear to be.

As has been previously stated - getting all the games you want killed the Dreamcast for me. Didn't play anything other than Soul Edge for longer than 20 minutes most of the time. (and I think I'd bought Soul Edge). If something didn't hook you instantly that was it, on to the next disc. Same with the original xbox.

Been pirating since the Spectrum days, moved on to the ST and then Amiga but I seem to recall playing games a lot longer then. May be part of growing up and just going to school as opposed to having a job etc these days.

As has been previously stated - getting all the games you want killed the Dreamcast for me. Didn't play anything other than Soul Edge for longer than 20 minutes most of the time. (and I think I'd bought Soul Edge).

presumably you mean Soul Calibur, and it's an arcade game, 20mins is a decent sitting. Certainly with fighters, it's normal to play through to the last boss and then turn it off.

I resorted to using my Xbox as a pirated games hub (thanks, Yod@), because there were no proper games on the fucking thing.

You had your xbox modded in order to play games because there were no proper games?

These things always go so much easier if people just admit they pirate because they can't be arsed paying. It's fuck all to do with the amount of disposable income you have left at the month, and fuck all to do with the price of games. People pirate games because they can. They could decide this minute that they are only going to charge a pound for Modern Warfare 2 and people would still pirate it, even if they had it full price and people were millionaires, they would still pirate it.

I love games too much to pirate, The people that have said getting lots of game devalues them are right. The time I got 50 PC Engine games or 200 Megadrive games in one transaction proves this. I barely touched them, just loaded played a bit and shelved them. The single games I got afterwards were played a lot more.

MAME I consider fair play. the market was selling boards. that's the developers "Cut". The real money was made by arcade operators. Arcades never died becuase of piracy. Plus most time these were never converted or converted poorly. I'll still buy retro game packs as I want to own a legit copy and I do own a few of the best boards for my cabinet.

I've got a Magic drive for my Megadrive. I didn't get it until 1996 in trade for a 32x. I copied any game I did not have. I'm aiming for a 100% Megadrive collection. It's all try before I buy. Plus I can play protos on the real hardware.

Betas and unreleased game also fair play. I have many, there's no lost sale for these.

Pirating current formats, not at all. Only cheapskates and poor people do that. Except for the really ultra minority that are actually trying before they buy. Really the people that do this are a very small minority, even most people that claim to be are liars.

You had your xbox modded in order to play games because there were no proper games?

These things always go so much easier if people just admit they pirate because they can't be arsed paying. It's fuck all to do with the amount of disposable income you have left at the month, and fuck all to do with the price of games. People pirate games because they can. They could decide this minute that they are only going to charge a pound for Modern Warfare 2 and people would still pirate it, even if they had it full price and people were millionaires, they would still pirate it.

and because they can get away with it.

Don't buy that argument, and I think selecting a little list of labels for a person is the easiest way of justifying an action that is patently wrong. No matter what warm and cuddly justification label you want to select for yourself or others, the fact remains that ALL people who pirate do so because they don't want to spend money or do not have sufficient self-control to wait for something. There is no barrier to the acquisition of games beyond money and time. If I want to play obscure PS2 NTSC-J games, there is a morally sound route for me to do so. It may be expensive, it might take a while to organise but it exists. Then the question turns to the fact that if you can't afford something, you shouldn't buy it, and if you can't wait, then perhaps you should be treated like the six year old on Christmas Eve you appear to be.

Firstly, that post was not excusing or justifying my, or anyone else's actions - it was intended to highlight that people 'pirate' for different reasons and that in many (I suspect MOST) cases they are not depriving anyone of income/sales despite every 'pirate' being tarred with that brush...

Since you want me to justify my 'piracy', I will. I see the ability to download some games (principally Jap/US DS/PSP releases) as a handy way to check how 'English' it is and/or to be able to play it without waiting eons for it to arrive here/be imported. Yes, it's technically wrong, but I live in the real world and over here it's no different to playing a demo except that there aren't always demos available for these games.

Oh - I also do this to save carrying UMDs/carts around - something I'll bet a load of people here do and don't consider themselves 'pirates' - but they are...

Technically, my support for the pre-owned market (I'm a big trader-in and 2nd-hand buyer) is harming game development more than my downloading the odd DS/PSP rom - but preowned isn't illegal and so nobody calls me a name because of it (not that I give 2 shits what people call me!!)