Piracy Poll

neoELITE

Which formats have you yarred  

500 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I pirate things to see if they're worth my money first of all, I downloaded a recent FPS a few days ago and after finishing it in an afternoon and not really having a clue what was going on and thinking it was a bit Meh and i've now removed it from my computer and deem it unworthy of £35.

It swings both ways, I pirated Dragon age and thought it was worth my money and many other games, The Witcher is another perfect example, it had pretty average reviews, I pirated it and ended up buying it the next day. Arkham Asylum I pirated and bought, Sins of a solar Empire I pirated and bought it a few days later, I could name loads but I could also name games I pirated and finished and never put a penny up for.

Another reason but less so these days is because I can play the game a month before it is released in the UK because the yanks get it first in the same language, I really don't see why I should have to wait for something that is freely available, if publishers can't get their shit together for a global release then that is their problem and quite obviously not mine.

How long is too long though?

I did the 'right' thing and finally got to play Front Mission, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. Only had to wait more than a decade in each case.

Ten years.

I mean FFS.

(I'd actually given up on Chrono Trigger and started playing through an em and then found out it was to be released on DS. Bought it as soon as it came out.)

I have heard it's easy to pirate DS games...I wouldn't know...I must be one of the few who buy them new. Given my lack of time nowadays I get a lot of value playing on the move.

Got some pirate games in the C64 days when I was a kid. DUring my Amiga days (when I was unemployed) I had some as well but still bought quite a bit.

I am seriously seriously tempted to get some pirate PSOne games..I bought an original US copy of Chrono Cross the other day and I'm toying with running it on an em which is apparently evil.

On - another category of people I missed

People with no choice

People who pirate games because they're either unavailable in their region/for their console or unavailable full-stop. These people are definately not costing anyone any money - in fact it's arguable that piracy of some older games probably ensures their eventual re-release/resurrection in sequel form - e.g. it keeps the brand alive!!

There's one other too

People forced to pirate by stupid corporations.

Dear Sony - much as I'd love to frequent your PSN Store, you've locked me out because I have CFW - so I HAVE to pirate content just to have a PSP with multi-games on the MS and faster loading times!?!?

Dear PC Developers - how many people are forced into getting CD Cracks or even entirely pirated games they've bought simple to defeat your moronic DRM systems!?!? I mean FFS!!

The only games I pirate are DS ones because I don't have the capability to rip them like I do with my UMD's & Audio CD's.

The reason I play the backups rather than the cartridges/discs is that they are more portable (quite a big deal for a portable system) & in the case of the PSP, not as noisy & power hungry.

I don't download a game if I haven't bought it. Every game on my DS flashcard is one i have a corresponding physical cartridge on my shelf for as I consider it important that the creators of games are properly compensated for a games that are worth buying, & I find out which ones these are via reviews just like my home systems & ignore the ones that aren't.

I don't use Piracy on home systems as I don't see the point. There's no issue of portability & power consumption so i've never even investigated the matter despite how easy I keep hearing PC & Wii Piracy is.

I don't do PC piracy at all but there's an irony to worth highlight I think.

Once upon a time I avoided PC pirated games because the chances of them containing a payload which would infect your system with a virus/bootkit and/or screw up your system generally was far, far too high.

Now you use pirated PC games to AVOID that happening to you!!! :)

On - another category of people I missed

People with no choice

People who pirate games because they're either unavailable in their region

Which doesn't stop people buying the games legally

There's one other too

People forced to pirate by stupid corporations.

Dear Sony - much as I'd love to frequent your PSN Store, you've locked me out because I have CFW - so I HAVE to pirate content just to have a PSP with multi-games on the MS and faster loading times!?!?

Hang on, your blaming sony for you not wanting to use the latest firmware? Thats your own choice, using it as an excuse to pirate is pretty pathetic. You could just install the new firmware, and buy the games legally for your memory stick. But then why would you bother when you can get the games for free instead?

Those are both pretty shit "excuses". All you've done is convinced yourself that it's somehow right, when really it makes no difference whatsoever.

Why would anybody jump through all kinds of hoops just because a publisher decides to put all kinds of obstacles in the way while you're pretty much inclined to do the right thing? If a publisher or console manufacturer doesn't want me to buy their games because I'm in the wrong region, that's fine with me. I won't buy them.

Not buying them is one thing, pirating them for that reason is another - especially as it's just another set of "hoops" to get through. At the end of the day you either pirate or you don't. Reasons or excuses are meaningless, and just a way of justifying it. I pirate occasionally (and used to do it quite a lot), but I'm not going to make excuses for doing so because it doesn't change the fact. Justifying it is the first step to making it an accepted practice

Justifying may not be possible, but surely it's interesting to know the motivation behind some practices. It might make publishers consider to do things differently in the future. After all, DRM and rootkits are now largely gone on music and removing region locking from consoles / games is also becoming more and more common. If everybody just took everything like a little bitch, nothing would ever change.

piracy is all over the shop - i was speaking to my mum the other night and she got a DS for her birthday - Brain Training and all that malarkey. she was saying that she's getting a fucking flashcard and someone at her work is going to load it with games. my mum!? christ almighty!

anyway, the only games i pirate nowadays is the occasional old PC game that runs through a modified DOSbox on OSX - hardly a major crime, but not justifiable either. most of my yaaaarrring time is used for applications.

most of my yaaaarrring time is used for applications.

My daughter wants Excel, Powerpoint and Word as they use it at school and she often has homework based around these applications (it is optional but the term optional at Primary Schools tends to mean something different). I refuse to pay for it as I don't think it's fair of schools to expect parents to 1) have a computer at home and 2) buy this software. I know I am two or three clicks away from getting a yarred copy but I don't want to pirate it as I don't agree with the whole piracy option. My answer to her is that she'll just have to use google docs and I'll put these into the acceptable format at work where we have all these applications.

For some reason though, I do think it's more acceptable to yarr applications than it is to pirate games.

I admit to feeling a little guilty pirating 360 games, as it's a great console and developers generally do make an effort. For that same reason, I probably wouldn't flash/chip my PS3 if a workable solution was found. The DS, PSP and especially Wii I couldn't give two shits about. They've all failed as worthwhile purchases, so pirating them at least goes some way to justifying their initial spends.

But yeah, mostly I pirate because it's dead easy and games are too expensive in my country.

My daughter wants Excel, Powerpoint and Word as they use it at school and she often has homework based around these applications (it is optional but the term optional at Primary Schools tends to mean something different). I refuse to pay for it as I don't think it's fair of schools to expect parents to 1) have a computer at home and 2) buy this software. I know I am two or three clicks away from getting a yarred copy but I don't want to pirate it as I don't agree with the whole piracy option. My answer to her is that she'll just have to use google docs and I'll put these into the acceptable format at work where we have all these applications.

For some reason though, I do think it's more acceptable to yarr applications than it is to pirate games.

I don't know how it works with schools in the UK, but in my days at school there were publicly available computers in the schoolbuilding with all the apps running needed for homework (although sometimes you had to plan a slot or wait until lessons were over before you could use them) and alternatively you could buy a legitimate educational license of Office for a tenner or so.

Word/Excel at primary school? fucking hell.

we had a knackered old BBC B, and most of the time was spent writing:

10 PRINT "MALCOLM JOHNSTON IS A FAT BASTARD"

20 GOTO 10

i know what you mean about applications - i use the things i download a lot, far more than the games - 99% of my gaming is on consoles. i wouldn't be able to do my job without having out-of-office access to those apps but recently, now that i'm making good money, i have been thinking about buying what i need. again, good intentions doesn't really wash against pilfering software.

piracy is all over the shop - i was speaking to my mum the other night and she got a DS for her birthday - Brain Training and all that malarkey. she was saying that she's getting a fucking flashcard and someone at her work is going to load it with games. my mum!? christ almighty!

This is the one isn't it... I know load and load of 'casual' gamers who keep asking about flash cards for the DS. I honestly can only think of one or two people I know that actually BUY their DS games. Everyone else has a flash card for it now. As I said, we do also have one, but we then buy the games that will still be played.

Surely there is a case for portable games being download only titles. Or is it also a case that there wouldn't be as much an issue of piracy on the DS if there wasn't 100 shit games released every week before finding the next decent title?

Not totally relevant to the thread, but download OpenOffice onto her machine. It's free, and at primary school level is similar enough to Word. I've not tried the spreadsheet tool but I imagine that's similar.

Word/Excel at primary school? fucking hell.

we had a knackered old BBC B, and most of the time was spent writing:

10 PRINT "MALCOLM JOHNSTON IS A FAT BASTARD"

20 GOTO 10

What was that application on the Micros that had a cursor in the middle of the screen. You would type commands and it would do what you typed. (apologies of the memory is bit hazy and I do the commands wrong)

FW 30

RT 90

FW 30

RT 90

FW 30

RT 90

FW 30

and you would get a square.

Was it called 'Logo' or something...

Not totally relevant to the thread, but download OpenOffice onto her machine. It's free, and at primary school level is similar enough to Word. I've not tried the spreadsheet tool but I imagine that's similar.

Yep, I use this now instead of MS Office and it saves as compatible so will be no issues.

Get OpenOffice for you daughter. It's free and saves to MS Office formats.

That's what I've done.

Edit: Did it really take me that long to read that page?

What was that application on the Micros that had a cursor in the middle of the screen. You would type commands and it would do what you typed. (apologies of the memory is bit hazy and I do the commands wrong)

FW 30

RT 90

FW 30

RT 90

FW 30

RT 90

FW 30

and you would get a square.

Was it called 'Logo' or something...

Yep, we had that on the RM machines we had. IIRC it was actually a app for controlling a piece of hardware

Yep, we had that on the RM machines we had. IIRC it was actually a app for controlling a piece of hardware

It did both - it could either draw on the screen, or you had a little robot it could drive around the floor with a pen stuck to its arm.

I think it was called something snappy like Pico.

You could actually create "routines" with it, where it would go through steps you'd previously typed in if you gave it a simple command. It was designed, I've always thought, to test aptitude for programming - as essentially it was a very simple, visual programming language.

So we're agreed then? The only people who pirate are those living on the poverty line?

No, I know a lot of people who pirate who have plenty of income. They just choose to spend their money on something else and think pirating is a nice, cheap and convenient alternative to buying games. They don't lose any sleep over 'the industry' because they really don't care.

Also regarding DS piracy, I hooked up some colleagues and friends with flashcards, and mostly for their children because they don't want to buy their children expensive games.