IGNORED

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

The Sarge

Why have IO gone for the same old brain-dead bullshit approach of forcing the player into a firefight?

Act cool, Lynch preaches; just ignore the fucking enormous rifle slung over my shoulder. FUCK, WE WERE SPOTTED. PEWPEWPEW.

Why have IO gone for the same old brain-dead bullshit approach of forcing the player into a firefight?

Act cool, Lynch preaches; just ignore the fucking enormous rifle slung over my shoulder. FUCK, WE WERE SPOTTED. PEWPEWPEW.

Bah who gives a shit how you get into a firefight, the firefights themselves are cool as fuck :facepalm:

Spent about 3 hours on the multiplayer, so much better than the first games multi. The three modes are all good fun and the tension just mounts wondering when/if someone will betray you. You are always keeping an eye on each other just in case, great stuff. Cops and Robbers is a great new mode too, just so simple but yet so fun. In the days of overcomplicating multiplayer with needless shite, this is simply nick all the money and get the fuck out of there or play as a cop and kill the criminals. Refreshingly simple. I wish I could invite friends in with the demos multiplayer but ah well.

Really looking forward to the full game now, roll on the end of August. The lighting itself in the game is quite lovely too, the neon signed streets of Shanghai looking particuarly great. It reminded me a lot of Collateral whilst playing it.

I enjoyed the video style and effects (especially blowing up the shop full of coppers) and the fact that you play as an ugly balding guy who seems to be going mental.

The actual gameplay was wooly as fuck and generic though, even on hard I didn't see anything in the way of interesting or challenging enemy behaviour. Not nearly as good as the mighty Kill.Switch IMO, and that is 7 years old now.

If you are going to take on the KNEE HIGH WALLS genre these days you have to be great, not just flashy.

I enjoyed the video style and effects (especially blowing up the shop full of coppers) and the fact that you play as an ugly balding guy who seems to be going mental.

The actual gameplay was wooly as fuck and generic though, even on hard I didn't see anything in the way of interesting or challenging enemy behaviour. Not nearly as good as the mighty Kill.Switch IMO, and that is 7 years old now.

If you are going to take on the KNEE HIGH WALLS genre these days you have to be great, not just flashy.

I don't know I kept dying on normal, it wasn't really difficult but wasn't exactly hard either. Agreed about the AI, doesn't seem to be the most intelligent but I think the gunplays really very good, easily as good as Kill.Switch (and I loved that game) or more recent games such as Uncharted and Gears Of War. It's also slightly different in that the guns have more recoil which you really have to account for when firing, a lot of shooters these days don't tend to have that or at least not to the same degree. 'Short controlled bursts'

Loving the camera effects, theres a slight gritty/amateur/realism to the environment. As has been mentioned, I'm in the 'plays basic' camp. Nothing really outstanding about the controls or the gameplay.

I thought the single player demo mission was a bad choice, rather than being a mission - it was a shooter. And compared to all other 3rd person shooter's, it felt miles behind. Floaty movement, super long range shotgun, lack of melee? (not sure if I missed it - aside from the hostage thing), AI running in the open. I'd rather have played something with objectives and shooting.

Online, the idea of fragile alliance always appealed to me (I never played online in the first game) - but something about it never really did it for me. Until, I played the undercover version of it, which in my eyes adds another layer to the game mode and is the only way I will be playing it in future. Until theres abit more tactics or teamwork influence, plenty of people I've played with are honourable or are stupid enough to try kill everyone at the start, therefore giving no real challenge or excitement to the mode.

Loving the camera effects, theres a slight gritty/amateur/realism to the environment. As has been mentioned, I'm in the 'plays basic' camp. Nothing really outstanding about the controls or the gameplay.

I thought the single player demo mission was a bad choice, rather than being a mission - it was a shooter. And compared to all other 3rd person shooter's, it felt miles behind. Floaty movement, super long range shotgun, lack of melee? (not sure if I missed it - aside from the hostage thing), AI running in the open. I'd rather have played something with objectives and shooting.

Online, the idea of fragile alliance always appealed to me (I never played online in the first game) - but something about it never really did it for me. Until, I played the undercover version of it, which in my eyes adds another layer to the game mode and is the only way I will be playing it in future. Until theres abit more tactics or teamwork influence, plenty of people I've played with are honourable or are stupid enough to try kill everyone at the start, therefore giving no real challenge or excitement to the mode.

I guess I've had more differing experiences than you online thankfully. I've had people try to kill each other at the start, people doing it during the middle of the match or right at the end. It varies, people are such sneaky bastards :facepalm: I think my favourite mode would be Cops and Robbers, it's simple but still my favourite after so much time in all the modes.

I'd like to know though how you consider it 'miles' behind other 3rd person shooters though as I just don't agree with that at all. After playing drivel like Army Of Tutu I just find this to feel really good, certainly not 'poorer' than other 3rd person shooters out these days.

Well after playing Uncharted 2 - anything that has third person mode and has a cover system feels like they can't/won't bring much more to the table. This definately doesn't.

My gripe isn't really about how it plays, it's more the fact they didn't show how it will play (as in missions). Heavy Rain was very clever with it's demo - giving the slow investigation work of Jayden and the fast paced fight encounter with Shelby. Something similar with this demo wouldn't have went a miss.

I'll try Cops & Robber's mode, the only one I haven't done yet :facepalm:

Well after playing Uncharted 2 - anything that has third person mode and has a cover system feels like they can't/won't bring much more to the table. This definately doesn't.

My gripe isn't really about how it plays, it's more the fact they didn't show how it will play (as in missions). Heavy Rain was very clever with it's demo - giving the slow investigation work of Jayden and the fast paced fight encounter with Shelby. Something similar with this demo wouldn't have went a miss.

I'll try Cops & Robber's mode, the only one I haven't done yet :hmm:

Ah well I can't really argue with that Uncharted 2 is superb, must actually get round to buying that again now that it's dirt cheap. I'm glad that if IO can't compete on that level they are least trying something different with presentation, they usually make very cinematic style games and this is no exception. I've always liked their characters and worlds better than something like Uncharted, usually a lot more gritty and dirty which is more appealing to me. Plus Kane and Lynch are such scumbags it's great :facepalm:

Cops and Robbers is like fragile alliance except there's 6 players as the cops. You can betray anyone at anytime if you want but I've found most people sticking together until the very end usually. Be interested to see what your experiences are.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Started this last night. Crazy fucking game. And, oh, the visuals. They're brilliant. That oversaturated look is so well done and everything looks so, so good. Looking forward to ploughing through this over the next couple of days.

You get it in the steam sale? Aye, the pc version is lovely. Save yourself mountains of headaches tho, play on normal. I fired it up over the weekend hoping to finish off the game on hard, fuck that, what a slog. Medium is way mroe enjoyable. K&L2 goes alongside AVP this year in my 'shit games that i loved all the same' category

You get it in the steam sale? Aye, the pc version is lovely. Save yourself mountains of headaches tho, play on normal. I fired it up over the weekend hoping to finish off the game on hard, fuck that, what a slog. Medium is way mroe enjoyable. K&L2 goes alongside AVP this year in my 'shit games that i loved all the same' category

No, 360 version. I got a months worth of free rentals when I bought my brother a Wii for Xmas.

You're optimistic.

Ha, yeah, I've heard it's short, but then I only play for an hour or so in the evening most days so couple of days should be about right.

I think it's the visual style that's doing it, but I am really, really enjoying this. Love the bit where your gang

realize you're the people who shot the girl at the beginnign and all turn on you, and everything just kicks off big style.

Also, the characters Kane and Lynch are just so funny and unlucky, I've really taken to them.

I really hope that the visual style they've used for this isn't taken further. I think a Hitman game with this kind of gritty realism would be really good.

I think it's the visual style that's doing it, but I am really, really enjoying this. Love the bit where your gang

realize you're the people who shot the girl at the beginnign and all turn on you, and everything just kicks off big style.

Also, the characters Kane and Lynch are just so funny and unlucky, I've really taken to them.

I really hope that the visual style they've used for this isn't taken further. I think a Hitman game with this kind of gritty realism would be really good.

Yeah, that bit was brilliant. To be honest i think it was the visual style that sold me on the game too. Cause i can totally see where msot of the complaints come from, but they just didnt stop me enjoying the game. And yeah, K&L are both awesome characters. Theyre both selfish fuckups, but i couldnt help but like them. And trust me, the situation you find them in later on in the game are both :lol: and :blink: at the same time, great stuff

interesting articl about K&L2 here, a kind of post mortem

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1123129p1.html

it tends to gloss over alot of the games problems, but its a good read (contains spoilers)

Thanks for the link. It's really interesting to hear the developers aims for the game, after reviewers brought up how horrible the story is.

While that sentiment is intended as a condemnation, it actually affirms many of IO's creative aims. Dog Days is about losing; a long, scattered retreat of two cretins with guns. It stands in opposition to games like Halo and Modern Warfare, where murder is justifiable heroism. In Dog Days there is no moral safety net below your killing spree. It's self-consciously antiheroic, a proof of how heroism and gunfights are existential opposites.

Film has been following this type of character for years but it's never really been explored in games. I think I might pick this up now.

Thanks for the link. It's really interesting to hear the developers aims for the game, after reviewers brought up how horrible the story is.

While that sentiment is intended as a condemnation, it actually affirms many of IO's creative aims. Dog Days is about losing; a long, scattered retreat of two cretins with guns. It stands in opposition to games like Halo and Modern Warfare, where murder is justifiable heroism. In Dog Days there is no moral safety net below your killing spree. It's self-consciously antiheroic, a proof of how heroism and gunfights are existential opposites.

Film has been following this type of character for years but it's never really been explored in games. I think I might pick this up now.

If you can find it cheap (and im sure its cheap as hell by now) its well worth it. Shame you missed the steam sale, it was £3 in that, bargain. The game obviously has its problems, but if you can look past them theres a competent shooter with a great art style and interesting characters there

Take you meant is, didn't you.

The lead art director who really pushed for the FLIP style camera traits of grain, compression artifacts, auto focus changes and the like is Rasmus Poulsen.

Not sure if he's still with IO; hope he is though.

Take you meant is, didn't you.

The lead art director who really pushed for the FLIP style camera traits of grain, compression artifacts, auto focus changes and the like is Rasmus Poulsen.

Not sure if he's still with IO; hope he is though.

Yes, I meant is.

It's an incredible replication of youtube style, cameraphone type footage. It really is. Hitman with this level of brutality in both tone and style would be glorious.

• 1 month later...

Finished this yesterday (as well as Bloodstone).

What a fucking blast. What a mental, mental game. I have to say I fucking loved it. Loved it. Flaky AI aside, it's ace.

And I can't believe I forgot about it when voting for the technical achievement category in the votes. The styling is astonishing. The helicopter sequence is absolutely jaw dropping as you just destroy that building, then get inside and have it ripped to shreds around you. Breathtaking stuff.

What a fucking blast.