Edge #209

SweatyTravolta

I do get the 10 for LBP as it was a staggering achievment even though it was boring as fuck

I wouldn't have given Galaxy a 10. Too bloody hard and merely a refinement of SM64.

I'd say being boring as fuck is the best possible reason not to give a ten. I wasn't just boring though, it was a fucking horror to control.

Galaxy isn't remotely a refinement of SM64, it's a very different game - far more 2D centric with almost none of the complicated environmental puzzles that SM64 enjoyed. It's not that hard either, 121 stars was relatively straightforward bar a few levels, easier than SM64 anyway.

I can only suppose that people are suggesting that The Orange Box is worth a ten based on value for money alone.

The games themselves, with the exception of Portal, are unremarkable. And Portal, whilst fantastic fun, is not worth a ten. It's too unpolished.

I can only suppose that people are suggesting that The Orange Box is worth a ten based on value for money alone.

The games themselves, with the exception of Portal, are unremarkable. And Portal, whilst fantastic fun, is not worth a ten. It's too unpolished.

Considering all the hours I put into Team Fortress 2, I must disagree with you there. That and Portal were the highlights for me, but I can see why people value HL2 so much, though I'm not its biggest fan. Episode 2 was very good though.

Agreed, in recent times I'd only go along with SMGs ten, maybe Halo 3's too. I'd add Call of Duty 4 and FIFA09 though, I don't think Edge even reviewed FIFA09.

Galaxy isn't remotely a refinement of SM64, it's a very different game - far more 2D centric with almost none of the complicated environmental puzzles that SM64 enjoyed. It's not that hard either, 121 stars was relatively straightforward bar a few levels, easier than SM64 anyway.

Well I found SMG hard and last time I looked am still stuck on something like 35 stars. I think I ended up with a 2D type race against the other 'mario' on one planet that I was fucking useless at, an underwater planet with awful swimming that I very nearly got the hang of after 20 attempts at the time (but not quite) and now have zilch of a clue how to do it and a volcanic level that I found too frustrating to be bothered with :wub:. There was another planet too but I can't recall my 'problems' there.

So, having been on this forum for a little while, it appears that every EDGE mag gets its own thread and gets dissected by the rllmuk massive ... ummm ... WHY? Edge is a poor, nay, SHIT magazine. Why the obsession?

It's a games mag that's still alive after all this time?

Considering all the hours I put into Team Fortress 2, I must disagree with you there. That and Portal were the highlights for me, but I can see why people value HL2 so much, though I'm not its biggest fan. Episode 2 was very good though.

I'm not saying that any of them aren't good, or even very good (although HL2 is average)...they're just not worth a ten.

Whereas compared to Halo 3, they find themselves in the shadow of the colossus.

So, having been on this forum for a little while, it appears that every EDGE mag gets its own thread and gets dissected by the rllmuk massive ... ummm ... WHY? Edge is a poor, nay, SHIT magazine. Why the obsession?

Regardless of your views on Edge, FYI rllmuk originated out of the remains of the original Edge forum. So it's kind of a tradition.

I'm not saying that any of them aren't good, or even very good (although HL2 is average)...they're just not worth a ten.

Well, that's entirely subjective of course. I can understand why they gave it a 10.

Majora's Mask though, now THAT should've gotten a 10. :wub:

And also because it's far from a shit magazine and all the naysayers take their scores far more serious than they like to admit, which is why they keep coming back when Edge gives Bayonetta a 10/10 or Dragon Age a 5/10 for example, and rightly so. Because it's still the best medium for game reviews in the world.

:wub:

I do get the 10 for LBP as it was a staggering achievment even though it was boring as fuck

I wouldn't have given Galaxy a 10. Too bloody hard and merely a refinement of SM64.

Halo 3 - no chance, 8 for the Sp, 8 for MP

UC2 would have got 10 from me as it took immersion in a game to new heights for me.

Halo 3 got a 10 for the same reason Bungie are listed under "Special Thanks" in Uncharted 2's credits, because they pioneered a lot of multiplayer social networking stat tracking stuff on consoles that other developers could emulate. You can't have one without the other.

The last one I read was disappointing because I went through the news pages and the previews barely reading the thing because it was full of stuff I knew from weeks back and it was completely lacking in detail. Print media is dead. I'm meant to be paying a fiver for this shit?

All that's left are their opinions on reviews and games in general. Time and time again they have show themselves to not be representative of the people who actually play games and consider it a hobby ...they seem to be more interested in the art and what the game 'has to say'.

Fuck it. The last straw for me was the god-awful Wii Sports Resort review. Every month that has always been at least one game that gets slated because it's just fun.

It's also worth mentioning that as a developer who has to work with designers who may take the 'art' of making games a little too seriously (fair play, they're paid for it and it does help if they're aiming high) ...even they think that Edge is up its own arse.

The last one I read was disappointing because I went through the news pages and the previews barely reading the thing because it was full of stuff I knew from weeks back and it was completely lacking in detail. Print media is dead. I'm meant to be paying a fiver for this shit?

All that's left are their opinions on reviews and games in general. Time and time again they have show themselves to not be representative of the people who actually play games and consider it a hobby ...they seem to be more interested in the art and what the game 'has to say'.

Fuck it. The last straw for me was the god-awful Wii Sports Resort review. Every month that has always been at least one game that gets slated because it's just fun.

It's also worth mentioning that as a developer who has to work with designers who may take the 'art' of making games a little too seriously (fair play, they're paid for it and it does help if they're aiming high) ...even they think that Edge is up its own arse.

Ugh, uncritical fan service. We have the internet for that.

Athlete Kings was better though. :wub:

QFFT, bloody awesome in multiplayer, and Herman the German (Karl Vein) was a cheat :wub:

Mass Effect got a 7 I think.

Hey, nine pages an nobody is talking about a new Zelda score. Surely that's a first?

It's on a portable, no one cares about portables or Zelda infact :wub:

The graphics in the screenshots of Bayonetta look shit, it's also got a shit name and is made by Sega who haven't done anything good since Super Monkey Ball.

I'm calling shenanigans on the 10.

The game is directed by one the top 5 people to have ever directed a game at Capcom and he's never done a shit game in his career.

Really looking forward to Bayonetta now. Just a bit of a shame the PS3 version is so inferior, all of Kamiya-san's previous masterpieces have been great on the playstation. I might go for the PS3 version regardless.

Unfortunately Platinum either couldn't be bothered or didn't have the manpower to do the PS3 version so they farmed it out to some unknown bunch of incompetents (a bit like the X360 port of DA: O then :P)

Why should games which they don't review have any bearing? If they don't review them they shouldn't be considered. An average edge score should be five and the scale 1-10 should only consider games edge reviews, and not games they don't.

I mean an average nice is a 7, soon it might be 8 or 9.

You're confusing the average quality of a game with the mean average of scores a magazine gives out.

Edge is still considered the best games magazine with the highest level of know-how and looking at things in a larger perspective rather than just the hype of the day. That's also the way they like to present themselves. So it's not strange that people leap upon them when they're making massive errors of judgement or totally missing the point of a game in their reviews.

Also, I always thought that calling something average doesn't even really mean that it's the average of all games. It's more the "average" between good and shit.

Say only three games were ever released, ever, and they were Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4, and Super Mario Galaxy. And you decided that they were all amazing and Resi was the best of the three and Galaxy was the worst and Ocarina was somewhere in the middle. Would you then call Ocarina average?

Edge is still considered the best games magazine with the highest level of know-how and looking at things in a larger perspective rather than just the hype of the day. That's also the way they like to present themselves. So it's not strange that people leap upon them when they're making massive errors of judgement or totally missing the point of a game in their reviews.

I totally agree. Edge I think are fast becoming experts in reviewing first person shooters and driving games. Everything else they seem to mark down because they've not included any first person shooting or driving.

You're confusing the average quality of a game with the mean average of scores a magazine gives out.

No I'm not. I am incredibly intelligent. They should, in an ideal world, be the same thing. An Edge 5 is a poor score, it doesn't mean the game is so-so, it means the game is bad. A six is also bad, a seven? Then the game is so-so.

The fact that seven is the average tells you everything, especially as there are now tens every week. What's wrong with having 5 the average, it makes more sense, again, you can't compare the games they do review to the games they don't review as they don't review the games they don't review. You can't say, Ah, but they don't review the bad games! Well if they don't review them then they shouldn't affect the scale.

Yes, an Edge 5/10 game means that Edge thought the game was rubbish, simple as.

Roughly, the Edge scores are something like this these days:

1/10 unplayable tripe

2/10 unplayable tripe with a nice menu

3/10 unplayable tripe with a nice menu and decent music

4/10 very bad

5/10 rubbish

6/10 OK if you like the genre

7/10 Not without its merits

8/10 Good

9/10 Very Good

10/10 Fucking brilliant

No I'm not. I am incredibly intelligent. They should, in an ideal world, be the same thing. An Edge 5 is a poor score, it doesn't mean the game is so-so, it means the game is bad. A six is also bad, a seven? Then the game is so-so.

The fact that seven is the average tells you everything, especially as there are now tens every week. What's wrong with having 5 the average, it makes more sense, again, you can't compare the games they do review to the games they don't review as they don't review the games they don't review. You can't say, Ah, but they don't review the bad games! Well if they don't review them then they shouldn't affect the scale.

If 5 is a bad game then what does that say about those games that score 1-4?

And are they saying that Dragon Age is bad or merely average? I'd go with the latter.

Average compared to what though? I'm the first to admit that I don't have encyclopedian knowledge of RPGs, but of those that I played Dragon Age certainly is one of the best.

One of the best? Then all RPGs must be shit, eh Ramone?