SweatyTravolta

So if we accept that:

6) Okay if you like the genre = Poor if you don't like the Genre

Then we could say:

5) Poor even if you like the genre = Very poor if you don't like the Genre

4) Very poor if you like the genre = Awful if you don't like the Genre

3) Awful if you don't like the genre = Abysmal if you don't like the Genre

2 + 1 = the same. Abysmal, bugs, not worthy

This still would make "5" a poor game by all accounts.

The actual Edge Average Score is apparently: 6.4927 = 6.5

So a 5 is certainly a below average game, according to all the other games Edge have looked at. Now, if we take into account that these include many that they believe are noteworthy, and of course many RPGS, that makes Dragon's Age certainly a below average game.

Additionally even if you like RPG's you will most likely find it a poor example of said genre.

This means that all those who like it in that thread over there are clearly crackers :(

Lies, damn lies...

I can only suppose that people are suggesting that The Orange Box is worth a ten based on value for money alone.

The games themselves, with the exception of Portal, are unremarkable. And Portal, whilst fantastic fun, is not worth a ten. It's too unpolished.

I don't know how Portal could be described as unpolished - the game engine and portal mechanics are very solid, the commentaries indicate how much effort went into playtesting, balancing and art direction, and there are some bonus levels for time and score attacking. Those are are pretty much all my criteria for making a game feel polished.

Fallout 3 was better, one of my favourite games of all time. This was reflected in the score though: a massive whopping 7/10 :(

Fallout 3 is a different style of RPG - at least as different from DA:O as DA:O is from Japanese RPGs.

It's much more focused, much less "epic" and contains pretty much nothing in the way of character interaction or moral choice ("do I blow up the bomb", "do I not blow up the bomb").

and contains pretty much nothing in the way of character interaction or moral choice

I played a different Fallout 3 to you - off the top of my head, the choices you face at Tenpenny Tower and when talking to the Family had me deliberating more than anything else I've ever played. The results of some my choices were also like nothing I've seen in a game before or since; bargaining to make everyone happy in Tenpenny Tower and returning to it some time later was one of the biggest WTF? moments I've had since I started gaming.

I always think that it must be very difficult to review a game like Fallout 3 for a magazine- it's a game that really benefits from losing yourself in it, ignoring the main quest and indulging yourself on exploring for the sake of it- I can imagine that with a deadline looming for an opinion, it might be a very different experience.

Unfortunately Platinum either couldn't be bothered or didn't have the manpower to do the PS3 version so they farmed it out to some unknown bunch of incompetents (a bit like the X360 port of DA: O then :()

But the review didn't even mention anything specific to the 360 version, it was bitching about story ARRRAGJGJGGCT

Like Demon's Souls, Assassin's Creed 2 and Bayonetta? :(

Even though the latter has a bit of driving but it's hardly substantial.

Vemsie I wasn't being completely serious you know :D. That said, even though Edge gave Demon Souls a 9, you'de be amazed if you'd played the game how much their review forgot to mention (all the on-line stuff for a start).

Yes, an Edge 5/10 game means that Edge thought the game was rubbish, simple as.

Roughly, the Edge scores are something like this these days:

1/10 unplayable tripe

2/10 unplayable tripe with a nice menu

3/10 unplayable tripe with a nice menu and decent music

4/10 very bad

5/10 rubbish

6/10 OK if you like the genre

7/10 Not without its merits

8/10 Good

9/10 Very Good

10/10 Fucking brilliant

I don't see how 7/10 can be anything less than good.

It's SEVEN OUT OF TEN.

I played a different Fallout 3 to you - off the top of my head, the choices you face at Tenpenny Tower and when talking to the Family had me deliberating more than anything else I've ever played. The results of some my choices were also like nothing I've seen in a game before or since; bargaining to make everyone happy in Tenpenny Tower and returning to it some time later was one of the biggest WTF? moments I've had since I started gaming.

Hmm I'm sure I just killed them. Killed them all.

I always think that it must be very difficult to review a game like Fallout 3 for a magazine- it's a game that really benefits from losing yourself in it, ignoring the main quest and indulging yourself on exploring for the sake of it- I can imagine that with a deadline looming for an opinion, it might be a very different experience.

Very professional :facepalm:

So, having been on this forum for a little while, it appears that every EDGE mag gets its own thread and gets dissected by the rllmuk massive ... ummm ... WHY? Edge is a poor, nay, SHIT magazine. Why the obsession?

Because Edge is still the best games magazine out there.

And no I dont like it as much as I used to. In fact I only ever pick up the occasional issue now. But nothing else is remotely as good, which is a real pity.

I think to a point - and this is something very few people seem to bring up - is that Edge seems to future-proof its scores to a degree. If Edge plays a game and it thinks something (perhaps a direct sequel) will supersede it in the near future, then it'll usually be marked down, while memorable if esoteric one-offs (see: Let's Tap) will be marked more highly. Fallout 3, for me, is a massively flawed game that plenty of people happen to love, but it's also a game that you can imagine being vastly improved upon by a direct follow-up or a spiritual sequel of sorts. Which would invariably get a higher mark for a greater degree of polish.

It's incredibly rare that Edge will award a game full of rough edges anything above a 7, no matter how good its core gameplay may be. Two notable recent exceptions are No More Heroes and Fable II, but in the former's case, you could argue that might have been considered one of those memorable esoteric one-offs, if only it hadn't spawned an unlikely sequel. And in the latter's case, I'd find it hard to objectively disagree with the mark, because it's a wonderful, charming game that constantly rewards the player in ways few other games really do.

I'm really glad I didn't buy the last two issues immediately. borderlands and dragon age are fantastic, both got slated by edge.

hmmm, maybe I should pick up "gi joe: the rise of cobra" after all... :D

But then, if you do and enjoy it, what does it matter what Edge thought about it, eh?

I can't believe that Dragon Age score. To me it's the best RPG of the current generation by far, and the first that actually manages come close to the best examples of the genre of previous generations. I'm not surprised that edge doesn't rate it as highly as I do, somehow my favourite games always get low scores (EDF - 6, Saint's Row 2 - 6, Tenchu - Stealth Assassins - 6, Morrowind - 6, 3rd Strike (not as good as World Impact apparently) - 6) but a 5 combined with harsh criticisms of the story and the lore, precisely the two elements of the game that make it stand head and shoulders above any other recent entry into the genre, is just incrompehensible and makes me question the choice of reviewer for this particular game. I haven't read the full review yet, but those quotes make it sound like getting me to review a racing game like Gran Turismo or something - "I don't like driving around in circles, and there's no room to explore or take out your opponents using stealth and cunning: 5/10"