Edge #209

SweatyTravolta

I'm getting a bit sick and tired of people calling Bayonetta a DMC clone and talking about it like it's some second rate videogame. Kamiya doesn't do those.

Yes, it's a DMC type game (not surprising as it's from DMC's creator), but it shares a lot with one of his other creations (Viewtiful Joe) as well. The whole dodge/slow-mo mechanic should not be underestimated, it changes the entire game. And not just because you can dodge cancel out of every move. It basically changes the flow of fights in an instant, going from defense to offense if you time it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQAHbS9c44

Look at how incredibly freeform it is. That last combo in particular is genius.

And there's so much more that separates it from DMC. The Witch Walk, the weapons on arms and feet mechanic, the instant finishing moves, the animal transformations, the fact that you can use enemy weapons, the nods to certain Sega classics, the tongue-in-cheek style instead of DMC's more emo stylings and so on.

Also, can I hit my enemies in DMC with giant Battletoads-style fists and feet of hair while a lounge version of Fly Me to the Moon plays? I think not.

The reason it scores an EDGE ten, a perfect Famitsu score and a nine at Eurogamer is because it represents the pinnacle of a genre. A genre that may not be your thing, but that doesn't mean it isn't damn good. I personally don't care about Forza one bit, but that doesn't mean I don't respect it.

But at least this is new IP instead of another fucking sequel. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQAHbS9c44

Look at how incredibly freeform it is. That last combo in particular is genius.

is there a thread i could take this to? That video is utter rubbish.

Well...okay...! it looks a bit playable. But its the same old bizarro shit from the likes of DMC to 99 Nights. Probably worth a 7 or 8. NOT 10.

the nods to certain Sega classics

Don't forget the Capcom ones too. Viewtiful Joe, Resi, Okami and more.

Seriously, bollocks to pre-judging this one - Bayonetta is one of the best games of this/next year, and every other year. It's abso-cocking-lutely fantastic, every single thing about it.

Motorbike level + remixed After Burner music? A stage that plays like Space Harrier? Some of the best free-flowing combat ever seen in a game? Yeah, okay then. That's clearly shit, in the exact same league as Clive Barker's Jericho and the GI Joe game.

I questioned Edge's decision to give a ten, but after caning the game over the last week I can absolutely see where they're coming from. It's a masterpiece.

Seriously, bollocks to pre-judging this one - Bayonetta is one of the best games of this/next year, and every other year. It's abso-cocking-lutely fantastic, every single thing about it.

Motorbike level + remixed After Burner music? A stage that plays like Space Harrier? Some of the best free-flowing combat ever seen in a game? Yeah, okay then. That's clearly shit, in the exact same league as Clive Barker's Jericho and the GI Joe game.

I questioned Edge's decision to give a ten, but after caning the game over the last week I can absolutely see where they're coming from. It's a masterpiece.

Good stuff. I haven't played the game in its entirety yet, but what I played was enough to sell me on the depth of this game. I'll probably never be as good as Saurian or the guy who made that combo mad vid, but even if you're not of that level, you can still create an incredible spectacle.

It's not the type of game that appeals to a mass audience, but that doesn't make it bad of course.

If you like free-flowing combat then yeah, it's probably good. Me, I don't know what free-flowing combat is. And I don't really wanna know, you know? So can a game with such narrow appeal really be worth a ten. Sounds like the reviewer reviewed his dream game. Which, you know, I mean, I like espressos. If there was a game about drinking espressos and it was perfect for espresso drinkers then I might give it a ten. But anybody else would be wtf!! I appreciate some people don't like everything, but it seems like about 100 people in the world are going to buy and enjoy bayonetta, seems wrong for it to get a ten for some reason. Mind you the way Edge shit out tens these days they don't have the same cachet.

If you like free-flowing combat then yeah, it's probably good. Me, I don't know what free-flowing combat is. And I don't really wanna know, you know? So can a game with such narrow appeal really be worth a ten. Sounds like the reviewer reviewed his dream game. Which, you know, I mean, I like espressos. If there was a game about drinking espressos and it was perfect for espresso drinkers then I might give it a ten. But anybody else would be wtf!! I appreciate some people don't like everything, but it seems like about 100 people in the world are going to buy and enjoy bayonetta, seems wrong for it to get a ten for some reason. Mind you the way Edge shit out tens these days they don't have the same cachet.

100 people? It was the best selling game on it's first week of release in Japan, it's already feverishly played by importers and Gametrailers (of all sites) had it in its top 10 most wanted games of the year at the start of this year. It's not MW or Halo big, but bigger than you might think. I mean, DMC wasn't exactly a slouch either.

But of course, games should be rated on whether or not they're any good. Not because you don't know what freeflow combat is or whether or not they have mass appeal.

After all, you're not gonna stop film critics from giving art house flicks with more limited appeal than blockbuster top accolades, are you?

Be glad that original games with this kind of depth are being made.

And shitting out tens? It's the first ten in over a year. Not that EDGE is the only one rating the game, mind,

Popularity as we all know has fuck all to do with quality :D

Yes. You don't mark a game down for being niche. Subtitled arthouse films don't get marks knocked off because Joe Bloggs might not want to see them.

Well I would counter that with the the thought that the fact that it's niche means it must be doing a lot wrong in appealing to a lot of people. And the fact that it's niche within the niche of videogames... I mean, you know?

I mean, there are many niche games that are pretty perfect in doing what they set out to do, but they're niche. You know, niche.

I'm not sure, not sure at all.

Like many have said, this is a 10 I and many others have absolutely no interest in playing.

This isn't about appealing to the casuals or anything silly. But let's flip this around. Why doesn't Bayonetta have mass appeal like all the other Edge tens?

BUT I DON'T LIKE GRAN TURISMO!!

That's not the point, it's not niche.

It sold 200,000 in it's first week in Japan, that's not really niche. I mean that's more than inFamous sold in it's first month in America, I wouldn't call that a niche game. I'm sure you're not going to let facts get in the of your, slightly tired, comedy posting though. Vemsie already raised this point that it's popular and you ignored that.

After all, you're not gonna stop film critics from giving art house flicks with more limited appeal than blockbuster top accolades, are you?

Actually I think there's some reverse psychology that goes on with arthouse films. I generally steal my films from the internet after first checking out a load of complied reviews. I often find the the top rated movie for a month is an Afghani Film about a shepherd struggling. I'm not shitting you, every month these films seem to get 90 odd%. And they're not the same film, every month there's a new one. Slightly different, but generally about shepherds.

Now this bayonetta did well in japan, well it looks very Japanese. I can see why those guys would love it. I am not japanese although I can count to ten in that language and say CAR.

But at the end of the day the top rated films of all time are The Godfather and Toy Story.

It sold 200,000 in it's first week in Japan, that's not really niche. I mean that's more than inFamous sold in it's first month in America, I wouldn't call that a niche game. I'm sure you're not going to let facts get in the of your, slightly tired, comedy posting though. Vemsie already raised this point that it's popular and you ignored that.

Again, what was the top rated film in japan for last week? I doubt it'd get the same score here.

I'm not saying that Batonetta is bad at all. i have not played it. It could well be worth a 10 to the Japanese and cacophanus.