Edge #209

SweatyTravolta

Ok, can't be arsed catching up with the whole thread; but why exactly does Disciple have a beef with Bayonetta getting an Edge 10? It's definitely a game I'm going to be playing for a good time, and will always remember very fondly, like most in their list of 'perfects' (surely nobody really believes that a 10 is a perfect game, do they? as if such thing could possible exist!)

It's because a lot of people believe that a 10 should only be awarded to certain genres. Crazy, I know, but the words 'niche' and 'appeal' were frequently used in the discussion earlier in the thread. The main argument was that quality means nothing if the game is too niche according to some arbitrary standard.

Nope, you need to read between the lines.

I've previously stated that it sounds like an amazing game. It's getting rave reviews everywhere.

What we're looking at here is consistency, much like the standard of refereeing in the Premier League.

Got it? Great :D

Check out the brilliant story, how the scene is set - ohh those two European Clans! Defend that "just passage of time".

Great voice acting too. :ph34r:

"20 years ago you woke up stuck in a casket in the bottom of a lake. All you can remember is that you're a Witch!"

"WHAT THE..."

I like how her main special power appears to be that her clothes come off and attack.

The medium has come so far.

Pinnacle.

Damn Dragon's age for sex scenes though, eh?

I like how her main special power appears to be that her clothes come off and attack.

The medium has come so far.

Well, let's put it this way. I hope the gameplay on that Dead to Rights game you're working on (if I'm not mistaken) is as good and deep as Bayonetta's. ;)

IDGI :unsure:

Me neither.

What is this talk about consistency about? Surely an RPG will be judged differently on its story, characters and writing than a combat game in which these are merely window dressing? Bayonetta takes its gameplay very seriously and plays the rest for laughs. Which works quite well. :)

Damn Dragon's age for sex scenes though, eh?

I've so far opted to be a prude.

Well, let's put it this way. I hope the gameplay on that Dead to Rights game you're working on (if I'm not mistaken) is as good and deep as Bayonetta's. ;)

I'm not really able to comment on that (and I've not really done much on it) but I can confirm that there is no nudie-Jack running around the levels.

The dog is though. Dirty boy.

I should add that I think Bayonatta looks good ...I just don't want to have to explain to the missus why her kit keeps flying off ..."mumble mumble 10/10 in Edge mumble mumble irony mumble"

Check out the brilliant story, how the scene is set - ohh those two European Clans! Defend that "just passage of time".

Great voice acting too. :ph34r:

"20 years ago you woke up stuck in a casket in the bottom of a lake. All you can remember is that you're a Witch!"

"WHAT THE..."

I don't think off-the-wall Jap stuff needs a storyline in the way a high fantasy roleplaying game does. God forbid actually. One Kojima is enough.

You could make a pretty realistic Disciple bot just by quoting posts at random, asking a vague rhetorical question underneath, and sticking in ridiculous fucking wink and tongue smilies completely at random, although that would struggle to be as annoying and cluelessly smug as the real thing.

You could make a pretty realistic Disciple bot just by quoting posts at random, asking a vague rhetorical question underneath, and sticking in ridiculous fucking wink and tongue smilies completely at random, although that would struggle to be as annoying and cluelessly smug as the real thing.

As said by 'K', not the smuggest person on the forum at all. No really, not at all. ;):):ph34r::rolleyes::facepalm::blink::mellow::eyebrows:

The forum never lets itself down by it's display of class :)

Here's the simple version.

That story/intro. It's horsecake. Utterly. Yet we seem to be able to let it off "Because it's a fighting game. lolz!". We aren't talking about some high brow fantasy style writing. Of course that wouldn't sit right.

However I do not believe you should accept something that is rubbish just because it's a bit wacky/Japanese/you love the actual game/developer. Do we really believe the voice acting from the guy in the car was good? Actually of a decent standard? "Oh it's alright if it's crap, because...".

No. If it's rubbish, it's rubbish. He probably did some work on Legend of the Overfiend.

As much as I enjoy Barry Burton and his "Master of Unlocking" quote (which is a lot), I still know that it's not good voice acting. You'd have hoped that a few years down the line from that we'd see some improvements here from Japanese developers.

Consistency? Review a game and hold the story and voice acting to a higher standard (Dragon Age) and then gloss over any similar problems in another game. I'm saying exactly that the genre should not matter where as apparently you guys think I'm voicing the opposite.

Effectively that story and some of that voice acting in Bayonetta is that of Harry Hill turning to camera and shaking his fist mockingly.

Then again perhaps we should not hold anyone to a higher standard and go LOL ITS A FIGHTY GAME ITS FINE. Science and progress, right?

:)

The forum never lets itself down by it's display of class :)

Here's the simple version.

That story/intro. It's horsecake. Utterly. Yet we seem to be able to let it off "Because it's a fighting game. lolz!". We aren't talking about some high brow fantasy style writing. Of course that wouldn't sit right.

However I do not believe you should accept something that is rubbish just because it's a bit wacky/Japanese/you love the actual game/developer. Do we really believe the voice acting from the guy in the car was good? Actually of a decent standard? "Oh it's alright if it's crap, because...".

No. If it's rubbish, it's rubbish. He probably did some work on Legend of the Overfiend.

As much as I enjoy Barry Burton and his "Master of Unlocking" quote (which is a lot), I still know that it's not good voice acting. You'd have hoped that a few years down the line from that we'd see some improvements here from Japanese developers.

Consistency? Review a game and hold the story and voice acting to a higher standard (Dragon Age) and then gloss over any similar problems in another game. I'm saying exactly that the genre should not matter where as apparently you guys think I'm voicing the opposite.

Effectively that story and some of that voice acting in Bayonetta is that of Harry Hill turning to camera and shaking his fist mockingly.

Then again perhaps we should not hold anyone to a higher standard and go LOL ITS A FIGHTY GAME ITS FINE. Science and progress, right?

:)

I've been playing Bayonetta in my head for a while and agreeing with the ten out of ten every step of the way, but after watching that video I'm inclined to agree. It's dropped right down to a seven or even a six. Heck, I'm not buying it anymore. How am I supposed to enjoy beating up these monsters if I can't relate to the main character?

I've been playing Bayonetta in my head for a while and agreeing with the ten out of ten every step of the way, but after watching that video I'm inclined to agree. It's dropped right down to a seven or even a six. Heck, I'm not buying it anymore. How am I supposed to enjoy beating up these monsters if I can't relate to the main character?

:facepalm:

It's not about the score. The game is, undeniably, great. I'm not talking about the game really am I Timmeh?

:facepalm:

But that’s a ridiculous point to make. Of course the genre matters; Dragon Age is an epic low fantasy adventure that’s striving for grandeur and portent, Bayonetta is a deliberately insanely OTT kill-fest that pitches itself at a controlled state of near-hysteria.

It’s a matter of intent. The developers of Bayonetta were clearly intending to go for high camp, the developers of Dragon Age clearly weren’t, which is why it’s valid to criticise one game for having poor voice-acting and not the other.

I mean, ‘Black Dynamite’ has bad acting and shoddy editing and so does Tommy Wiseau’s ‘The Room’, but I’d imagine you can work out what the filmmakers were aiming for in each film, and whether they achieved that goal, and it’s not inconsistent to praise one and criticise the other

It’s a matter of intent. The developers of Bayonetta were clearly intending to go for high camp, the developers of Dragon Age clearly weren’t, which is why it’s valid to criticise one game for having poor voice-acting and not the other.

So what you are saying is that even if the voice acting is utterly toilet (let's say it was barely audible grunts) then that's fine? If the story is barely cobbled together it really, really doesn't matter?

If that's your opinion then fine.

So I suspect that if Capcom re-made Resident Evil 1 they wouldn't bother spending money on re-casting a Barry Burton and changing his lines somewhat? :D

At the end of the day you really have to play the bleedin' game to have an opinion; there's no way I'm going to disagree with Edge's Bayonetta score until I've played it (or maybe that should read 'if' I play it, given that the PS3 version could be a shoddy job). Edge get some scores right, viewed from my little old perspective and some wrong; the annoying thing about their dragon age review is that its badly wrong; not even close, out of fucking court. But again I'll stress that that is just in my opinion, nobody else's.

At the end of the day you really have to play the bleedin' game to have an opinion; there's no way I'm going to disagree with Edge's Bayonetta score until I've played it (or maybe that should read 'if' I play it, given that the PS3 version could be a shoddy job). Edge get some scores right, viewed from my little old perspective and some wrong; the annoying thing about their dragon age review is that its badly wrong; not even close, out of fucking court. But again I'll stress that that is just in my opinion, nobody else's.

I'm sure they've got the score right for Bayonetta.