Edge #209

SweatyTravolta

I'm also somewhat baffled as to why they went with the 360 version, which while perfectly fine in its own right (the version I went with in the end just because I kinda need a break from playing hunched over my lappy!) is surpassed by the PC version. After all, they didn't review the PS3 version of Bayonetta now, did they?

They didn't I think, the review mentions both 360/PC so I think the score is an overall one for both versions?

Reading that, it sounds a lot like they were reviewing the marketing campaign because a lot of that mirrors my early impressions of it, the laughable early videos and terrible 'this is the new shit' marketing angle. But once, y'know, you actually play the darn thing, you realise it's essentially Bioware's Greatest Hits and the best thing they've done in quite sometime. It balances tongue-in-cheek with the epic very well, shys away from and subverts many of the standard tropes of the genre and has one of the best cast of characters in a game to date. Even the beliefs and motivations of the main antagonist are almost ambiguous enough to make deciding his ultimate fate one of the toughest decisions in game I've faced to date. But that's just me.

Spot on.

A dan Brown novel? Fuck's sake.

True, but I always read it as one person's opinion, whether there is a name above or below the article or not.

There are opinions that baffle me as well, but everybody is entitled to them.

If a game works for you, great. If it doesn't for a reviewer, their loss. Surely what matters is whether or not you enjoy it.

Sure, but let me put it this way. You love Ninja Gaiden/DMC and the like right? If that review of bayonetta on the other hand was a 5 and presented glaring wrongness that you were aware of because you own the game and you know them to be false with generalisations about the genre that were inconsistent, rather than it just being an opinion. Surely there is a line between what you can read and say "ok I can see why they didn't like it?" and "Were they even playing the game they're talking about?". That's how I judge a bad review from a good one. Scores don't bother me, but attitudes and severe lack of understanding of the title can. Ultimately sure I don't care, I'm killing time :hmm:, but its still dissapointing for an edge review to be so lacking imo.

I'm also somewhat baffled as to why they went with the 360 version, which while perfectly fine in its own right (the version I went with in the end just because I kinda need a break from playing hunched over my lappy!) is surpassed by the PC version. After all, they didn't review the PS3 version of Bayonetta now, did they?

The reviewer doesn't come across as being competant to play an RPG on PC. They certainly can't have played the BG games and fail to address the issue of to what extent DA is indeed a "spirutual successor" to the BG games. They should also have commented on difficulty levels - how the casual level on console is a walk in the park but there are 3 higher levels of difficulty for those seeking greater challenge. Don't seem to have noticed you can turn blood splatter off too.

Shameful but what the hell really.

"ok I can see why they didn't like it?"

Well, that is what I said here in my defense of Uncharted 2. :hmm:

I see your point and I'm all willing to address factual errors, but the question is whether or not the review is factually wrong or if it's all subjective. If they say that you can't turn off the blood while you can, that's a factual error. If they say the writing blows or the game is ugly, we enter more subjective territory.

Not that I'm defending the review, I might actually very well agree with you had I played the game.

Is the DA:O review up anywhere (or is that too much like piracy)?

It is a flawed game. It could be a lot nicer to play and the interface could so with a bit of streamlining (and it's ugly, but Edge tend to be 'above' that), but it sounds like that isn't even mentioned and the reviewer attacks all the good things about the game.

If they say the writing blows or the game is ugly, we enter more subjective territory.

Not that I'm defending the review, I might actually very well agree with you had I played the game.

By strict definition yes. But yeah, if there was a really well written book and some poster came in on the forum saying it was the worst thing they had ever read, despite it being subjective they'd quickly be suspected as trolling :hmm: I don't think ultimately that the whole "it's subjective" thing protects a writer entirely-, it does by a long long way and for good reason- opinions should be allowed to air, but they can still put an uninformed piece down and be recognised for that.

THE ELDER SCROLLS III: MORROWIND Xbox, PC Ubisoft Bethesda Softworks 6

Is perhaps the most misguided of the lot. LOVED that game. And it completely changed my view of what console gaming was capable of.

But yes, it was very brown, which I recall the review text mentioned. I'll agree with that.

morrowind is much better than oblivion as well.

The subjectivity issue is obviously difficult, however those quotes make it sound like the reviewer has little to no knowledge of the genre or the developers legacy, which i think is massively important to a lot of people who will be interested in this game.

Thing is, much as I have enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion they do have huge great glaring faults. The writing in them is pretty terrible, Morrowind was a bug ridden mess when it first appeared, and the graphics are often technically quite good in their individual elements but somehow don't work as a whole. A 6 or 7 for those games seems fair.

Thing is, much as I have enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion they do have huge great glaring faults. The writing in them is pretty terrible, Morrowind was a bug ridden mess when it first appeared, and the graphics are often technically quite good in their individual elements but somehow don't work as a whole. A 6 or 7 for those games seems fair.

The scores can be fair. I can completely even understand why Fallout 3 could be a 7 for them, morowind 6 or whatever. The games have flaws and will bother some more than others. As long as the commentary itself is fair- people get too caught up on the numbers. I didn't give a second glance to the 5 until I read those quotes.

wat

"...THe misery of dragon age's dramatic ambition is only compounded by the gruesome quality if it's motion capture and character modelling: the glassy, immobile faces and rigid poise, the unnaturally large pale hands which waft about the air with all the expressiveness of table tennis bats; the unequipped weapons which float some distance from each character's backs..."

Suffers at the expense of other high scoring games in an Xmas review issue, wasn't this Mass Effect a few years ago?

I know EDGE reviews have gotten shit but you can't serious expect them to review games based on how well they will stand up in ten years?

I miss when the 10/10 was only for the really, really special games. Even if you don't like them you can't argue with the importance of OOT, Mario 64 and GT, which were they only three for years.

The point is, it's clear that Castlevania was/is/always will be a really, really special game. Yet at the time it got an 8. I'm just amazed that a professional reviewer couldn't see the sheer majesty of the game. 8, really? Even now it's a 10 for me, and a 9 for anyone sane.

Which many may hold Metroid in higher regard they are subtly different; and truth be told I believe the tactile, close combat nature of SOTN wins out over the Nintendo classic. Okay, both "10's", and yet it persists that it's been reviewed and been given a "very good" score.

It's standout, landmark, and wonderful. You can see that right now - how you could not see it ten years ago defies belief.

However this is just the nature of magazines, journalism, etc. And, really, it's not a criticism of Edge. After all that review was done by some faceless soul who we'll never know. And the Editor can't expect to play every game and fine tune marks or reviews. They're far too busy for that.

Although when you're handing out a 5/10 to such a highly anticipated game you'd expect an eyebrow to be raised.

I'd like to see the text of the piece to understand what they didn't like about it.

Good old Castelvania: SOTN got a solid 8. This is my favourite Edge as they score several games the same as SOTN - I guess these games all hold up to day as SOTN does? I can't wait to go back to Dark Reign and Hexen 2 on the PC, Duke Nuken on the Saturn, and G-police on the playstation. Right up there with SOTN, man!

• CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT PlayStation
    DARK REIGN PC
    DUKE NUKEM Saturn Sega Lobotomy
    FINAL FANTASY VII PlayStation
    G-POLICE PlayStation
    HEXEN II PC

So - you've got to take such things with a pinch of salt! GTA3 printing error, etc...

I had no idea that edge scored games on how they expect them to be viewed in 10 years time. That's amazing.

Seriously now, Dark reign and hexen II were amazing at the time and fully deserving of their scores. Can't really comment on Duke or G-police as I haven't played the former and hate light-gun games.