Edge #209

SweatyTravolta

"...THe misery of dragon age's dramatic ambition is only compounded by the gruesome quality if it's motion capture and character modelling: the glassy, immobile faces and rigid poise, the unnaturally large pale hands which waft about the air with all the expressiveness of table tennis bats; the unequipped weapons which float some distance from each character's backs..."

I don't see what's so unreasonable about that. I haven't played Dragon Age but it's always horrible when a game tries for a really dramatic moment only for it to be completely undermined by some really bad lip syncing or motion caption or glitching.

Probably my fault on the Mass Effect front, I was only being silly really compared the low score for DA to the low score (imo!) for ME in a high-score-heavy xmas issue

Person who mentioned developer apathy towards Bioware nailed it I think.

"...THe misery of dragon age's dramatic ambition is only compounded by the gruesome quality if it's motion capture and character modelling: the glassy, immobile faces and rigid poise, the unnaturally large pale hands which waft about the air with all the expressiveness of table tennis bats; the unequipped weapons which float some distance from each character's backs..."

I think these sorts of issues are of the kind that gamers have always felt they need to get used to, and they appear in many different guises in many different games. In the past I feel that I was more able to put things like this aside, but as games get more detailed and complex, these kinds of problems I feel are becoming more far jarring and problematic.

This might seem like a strange tangent, but it kinda puts me in mind of the whole discussion over fixing frame rates in games before moving onto the ever more advanced visuals. The question I find I ask myself more and more often nowadays is ''is this kind of thing acceptable - shouldn't we be getting the basics right?''.

*edit*

Something about games with massive budgets fucking basic things up, like Uncharted 2 and the whole picking up guns issue. Oh I also found the flat faces and stuff really off putting in Fallout 3. You're gonna spend a huge amount of time speaking to people in that game and they look fucking weird. I was almost instantly ''zzzzzz'.

Something about games with massive budgets fucking basic things up, like Uncharted 2 and the whole picking up guns issue. Oh I also found the flat faces and stuff really off putting in Fallout 3. You're gonna spend a huge amount of time speaking to people in that game and they look fucking weird. I was almost instantly ''zzzzzz'.

Isn't this more about consistency within the game world. It's only jarring to see flat faces if the environment is beautifully detailed, for example.

FYI, the empty, weird monster-levelling Oblivion - with it's terrible voice acting and broken quests - got an 8.

I had no idea that edge scored games on how they expect them to be viewed in 10 years time. That's amazing.

Seriously now, Dark reign and hexen II were amazing at the time and fully deserving of their scores. Can't really comment on Duke or G-police as I haven't played the former and hate light-gun games.

Again; it's the SOTN score we're looking at. That's the point. It was apparently on a par with these games. That is nonsense.

FYI, the empty, weird monster-levelling Oblivion - with it's terrible voice acting and broken quests - got an 8.

Again; it's the SOTN score we're looking at. That's the point. It was apparently on a par with these games. That is nonsense.

Fucking hell, there are still people who treat game scores like that? You're an idiot.

It's not nonsense at all, it's a subjective view of a gaming experience. There's no point doing this because I would take Dark Reign over SOTN any day of the week, that's what a subjective view is. They scored the same, I don't see anything wrong with that. The granularity in your arguement just isn't there.

Anyhoo...

Smit: actually, that's one of the good things about DA (on PC and 360, at least) - it runs obscenely well, even on low-end machines. Far moreso than The Witcher, say.

And the graphics, once you're out of the Korani Wilds, are consistent - occasionally with bits that are quite pretty. I'm certainly not spending time worrying about less-than-perfect lip synching, or relatively flat facial expressions: the game is far more involving than that.

Holy shit, really? I'd pretty much written it off as another DMC i.e. I'd play through it once and sorta enjoy it then forget all about it until six months later when I see some Saurian vids on youtube and lose my shit and play it again and realise I'd be better off just watching the youtube stuff because I'm not Saurian.

<_<

That's exactly what I'll be doing - I loved DMC's style but just couldn't get good at it. I played the Bayonetta demo and got through it fine, but watched the Saurian video and realised that I know nothing. Still buying it mind <_<

The graphics in the screenshots of Bayonetta look shit, it's also got a shit name and is made by Sega who haven't done anything good since Super Monkey Ball.

I'm calling shenanigans on the 10.

Your mom's got a shit name etc........

Go Bayonetta! I was rather surprised to see that the UFC event that was held in Manchester the other week was brought to us by ..... Bayonetta!

Fucking hell, there are still people who treat game scores like that? You're an idiot.

<_<

The lines!

It's not nonsense at all, it's a subjective view of a gaming experience. There's no point doing this because I would take Dark Reign over SOTN any day of the week, that's what a subjective view is. They scored the same, I don't see anything wrong with that. The granularity in your arguement just isn't there.

Edge are the all powerful font of knowledge, or some-such.

Funny joke, Disciple!

Edge score one of the finest games of all time the same as many a game that people will barely play ever again/have faded and died. A game that will last the ages, a game that has not been usurped from it's rightful place as "Best sidescrolly RPG thing with weapons and that, and monsters!".

Not that great 10 years ago, now amazing. Other games - as good as that 10 years ago, now nowhere.

They are human(s) - or are they dancers?