Edge #209

SweatyTravolta

The graphics in the screenshots of Bayonetta look shit, it's also got a shit name and is made by Sega who haven't done anything good since Super Monkey Ball.

I'm calling shenanigans on the 10.

But it's not by Sega, and the name's cool, and the game's brilliant. So there.

Out of all those, Bayonetta not withstanding, GTA IV is the only one I'd strongly disagree with.

No little big planet is no more than a 7, its extremely clever and creative and... boring. And half life 2 isn't a 10 either in my warped way of thinking.

LBP doesn't get more than an 7 or 8 from me either. It may be creative and oozing with character, but it's just not fun to play. The other games pretty much deserve it I guess, even though I don't like all of them that much.

In retrospective I think I would have reserved the 10/10 accolades for Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy and Halo. Half Life 2 as well probably. The other games are a lot less 'time proof' IMO. And I think I would have awarded one to Uncharted 2, come think of it.

Some quotes from the DA review

".................the sum total of failures in writing, acting and presentation, creates a cringe inducing quality comparable to watching a school play performed through the medium of second rate machinima"

"the crimes against writing here are many and severe"

"sometimes he [the PC] shouts "why do I even bother?" for no apparent reason in a voice which makes it sound like a sitcom catchphrase"

Mr / Ms reviewer, this is indeed a question you should be asking yourself.

I was wondering why this thread had got to 11 pages this time, and now I find out. Staggering.

half-life 2 didn't get a ten, only orange box did. I'd really, really strongly disagree with the halo 3 score, but they seem to have prioritised licking bungees balls over everything else for the last few years.

I dont think that would match anybodies list of the all time best games though, the heavy slant towards recent games shows how their previously high standards have slipped.

Also, lbp doesnt deserve to be discussed in the same breath as mario 64. Its a 6, must try harder.

On the first hour or so of DAO, the floaty weapons on the back, the huge hands and last gen environments of the game did make me almost want to trade it. But after a while the depth of the characters and the amount of 'stuff' in the gameworld made me fall in love with it. Just received the CE guide today so I can enjoy it to the full. Sometimes graphics do not make a game.

On the first hour or so of DAO, the floaty weapons on the back, the huge hands and last gen environments of the game did make me almost want to trade it. But after a while the depth of the characters and the amount of 'stuff' in the gameworld made me fall in love with it. Just received the CE guide today so I can enjoy it to the full. Sometimes graphics do not make a game.

Little Big Planet looked amazing though and that...Oh.

I don't understand the level of writing that Edge is judging DA on. Most RPG's have a similiar level of writing quality- usually worse- especially JRPGs which they seem to rate higher. Odd.

This baffled me as well, to be honest. There are precious few games with writing as good as this one. The review is kind of hard to take seriously. And you're right about JRPGs. As much as I love playing them, the characters all tend to be painted with much broader brushstrokes than in western RPGs. The characters in Dragon Age seem more human, less prone to the histrionics of their Japanese counterparts. I've certainly cringed a lot more playing a JRPG, than I have a WRPG.

rE4 SHOUDL HAVE GOT A 11 AND NINTENDEO GOLDENEYE.

Says Wikipedia:

In Edge's 10th anniversary issue in 2003, GoldenEye 007 (1997) was included as one of the magazine's top ten shooters, along with a note that it was "the only other game" that should have received a ten out of ten rating. The game had originally been awarded a nine out of ten, with the magazine later stating that "a ten was considered, but eventually rejected".

Resident Evil 4, which came second in Edge Presents The 100 Best Videogames, originally obtained a nine, but according to the 100 Best Videogames issue, it came "as near as dammit to the sixth (at the time) Edge ten".

<_<

Edge have been shitting out tens lately, that makes me sad for some reason, I mean, if games HAVE improved to a degree and it's not just reviewers getting caught up in hype then, well, they're going to have to up it to a point where ten means something again, which of course they can't, as the horse has bolted. Shame really. It's all "Which game got a ten this month??" you know?

Edge have been shitting out tens lately, that makes me sad for some reason, I mean, if games HAVE improved to a degree and it's not just reviewers getting caught up in hype then, well, they're going to have to up it to a point where ten means something again, which of course they can't, as the horse has bolted. Shame really. It's all "Which game got a ten this month??" you know?

Score out of 100, 1000, no score, stay as it is. Discuss.

I give this post 45, 454, , 5.

An Edge 10 has been massively devalued. I mean, Halo 3? Really? More than half of these perfect scores are probably from the current generation, i.e. the most unimaginative, depressing generation of my lifetime. SHIT DON'T MAKE SENSE.

Hey, primeraran, did i tell you about the time my primer ran?

I was painting a 54 rat rod and the primer ran meaning me and my Mexican chums has to sand it down and start again. Which is what edge should do. GTA4 jesus chrsit giving out tens for graphics. Edge is shit. i ACTUALLY MISS CRASHLANDER AND i'M NOT EVEN SAYING THAT FOR EFFECT.