Edge #209

SweatyTravolta

Edge have been shitting out tens lately, that makes me sad for some reason, I mean, if games HAVE improved to a degree and it's not just reviewers getting caught up in hype then, well, they're going to have to up it to a point where ten means something again, which of course they can't, as the horse has bolted. Shame really. It's all "Which game got a ten this month??" you know?

Also, not enough Wii games are getting full marks.

While I'm the first to admit DA's brilliance, I adore the game, if you take a step back and notice the script, writing and general story, it has to be one of the most blatant LotR rip-offs ever made, disguised as homage.

I think that people who think it is "one of the most blatant LotR rip-offs ever made" perhaps haven't read enough LotR rip-offs.

Would they say the same about each and every crime novel involving a murder and a detective who likes a drink*?

* Either Rebus, or Morse clones, presumably.

Actually the average Edge score ius actually a SEVEN when it should be a FIVE. That tells you all you need to know, they just have to rejig shit so that 5 is the average.

Why should it be a five? They don't review every game that's released each month and are clearly selecting the most interesting games - which are generally of an above average quality. Simples.

Having thought about it a bit more whilst playing Dragon Age tonight, the only logical explanation I can come up with for the DA score is that maybe EA didnt pay them for the DA/Bioware double page foldout in issue #208 so they thought they would fuck em off by giving it a 5 instead. <_<

But seriously I know its only one mags view etc but a 5 (and the content of the review in general) is just a whole world of wrong!

'That' review, is blatantly written by a girl. Who was obviously surfing the sea of blood at the time, and hates fun.

Edge never really ever recovered from its time under Margarets saddle. Its sad but true, and I just hope that I can still not buy Edge, but read its reviews for free online.

People are entitled to express their opinions and all that but jesus christ these Edge threads are such dull reading.

I still like Edge. No really. I actually do. When I come into these threads I expect a bit of arguing about the scores, that's perfectly relevant, but at a certain point the discussion degenerates into how shit Edge is now, and ths happens every month and it is so fucking tedious that I just want to scream. Even if they're getting shitter at such a rate that every month they do something more shitty than ever before and their redoubled shititude is once again worth commenting, don't you guys get bored of it after a few hundred issues?

Edge threads: not as good as they used to be.

the absolute horror of a magazine reviewer giving a game a score then watching in astonishment as people implode with rage as if it were akin to some great tragedy, like being locked up for blowing up a pub when you were actually in another country or having a gang of west african militia raid your home and hacking off your hands.

Why should it be a five? They don't review every game that's released each month and are clearly selecting the most interesting games - which are generally of an above average quality. Simples.

Why should games which they don't review have any bearing? If they don't review them they shouldn't be considered. An average edge score should be five and the scale 1-10 should only consider games edge reviews, and not games they don't.

I mean an average nice is a 7, soon it might be 8 or 9.

the absolute horror of a magazine reviewer giving a game a score then watching in astonishment as people implode with rage as if it were akin to some great tragedy, like being locked up for blowing up a pub when you were actually in another country or having a gang of west african militia raid your home and hacking off your hands.

If someone had hacked off my hands, I'd have to be using speech recognition.

The wee has no good games.

Oh, come on, man. The first half of the game is paced so incredibly shitty, it should not be forgiven. It got a lot better the more you played, with a final act that pretty much defines the word epic, but c'mon... you need to be able to judge the game as a whole.

I may be flawed in places in hindsight (for me this would mainly be the pre-rendered 3D interiors / marketplace for example), but at the time it was an absolute marvel. It was cinematic, it was epic, it was lush, it had day-night cycles, wonderful dungeons, challenging puzzles, complex weaving between present/future hyrule and all of this for the first time in a 3D world that completely worked on all levels. Walking out of the starting area onto the rolling fields and seeing the castle on the horizon and be able to actually go there was something amazing back then. It had so many stand out moments, the way the story unfolded with beautiful cutscenes, the music, oh my <_<

At the time the Edge 10/10 was the accolade for 'revolutionary' games, and Ocarina of Time was a revolution if I ever saw one, games have been measured up to it for years afterwards.

The DAO score (and Edge's treatment of RPGs in general) almost mirrors one of the cheap X360 rags, where they have Tim Empney review *every* RPG they cover, and he hates them all. The reviews are usually pretty-devoid of actual content, and more a rambling at the genre. 2 stars is the usual score (out of 5).

But yeah, it doesn't really matter. I suppose the only people that should feel aggrieved when such things occur are developers who are paid bonuses tied-to metacritic scores - these reviews do actually hurt them financially.

As for Bayonetta, should be interesting. I like the genre, though am not interested in mastering the systems they employ, so I doubt any title in the genre could be a 10 for me. But I'll give it a play, though the story and setting look rubbish from everything I've read, so in that respect I'm far more interested in God of War III because I feel I'll enjoy that far more as a whole package.

though the story and setting look rubbish from everything I've read

Looking for a story in a game like this is like looking for realism in Burnout Paradise. The setting contains some of the most memorable designs and art direction that I have ever seen in a videogame based on what I've played, so I haven't got the slightest idea what you are talking about.

I do get the 10 for LBP as it was a staggering achievment even though it was boring as fuck

I wouldn't have given Galaxy a 10. Too bloody hard and merely a refinement of SM64.

Halo 3 - no chance, 8 for the Sp, 8 for MP

UC2 would have got 10 from me as it took immersion in a game to new heights for me.

Galaxy was as big a ten as it could possibly be for me. Unlike 64 is was a real platform game with so many great ideas and creativity crammed into every inch of its game world that it has no equal for me.

I can see why they gave all of these tens, though some of them did nothing for me (looking at you here LBP). The only ones I'd give a ten after Halo are Galaxy and the Orange Box. Bayonetta could very well join it, cause the more I see of it, the more it looks like the definitive action game.