Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Recently, I managed to track down copies of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 for the PS2 at my local Gamestation. I snapped them up right away as I tend to think the first one is one of the PS2's most underrated games.

Did anyone else play them? I've only played the first one before, though I heard the 2nd is a lot better. I'm actually sad to find that you can't import your characters from BGDA 1 to BGDA2 (a massive oversight if you ask me).

Certainly in terms of solidity, the engine is top notch. The frame rate is really high, the lighting effects impressive, and the characters well animated for the time it was made. Given, it isn't one of the best looking games on the PS2, but it's incredibly consistent in terms of how it looks. Everything is lovingly made with good music and good voice acting (again, for the time it was made).

The main thing though is that it offers a really good 2-player co-op mode (in fact the game is really based around it), where the players can play through the full story together, as well as being able to import characters from other savegames to your own, meaning you could play it solo or with a friend, always using the same character and gaining XP.

I'd definitely recommend them to anyone after a good 2-player adventure romp.

I have a weakness for games of this type and have played most of them

I actually spoiled BG1 a bit as me and my partner did the armour swap/sell/reload trick to bulk up the bank account...

I played the second game solo and chose the necro, his pet makes the game ridiculously easy as most mobs concentrate on it instead of you.

By the Time Id unlocked

Drizzt and Artemis (yes I'm a forgotten Realms fan \o/

I'd lost the will for another playthrough :)

If you enjoyed those you'll love the two Everquest : Champions of Norrath games. Probobly helped that I was a chronic EQ addict on the pc though..

The Bards Tale is a bit weak to be honest but still fun.

Marvel Utlimate Alliance is well worth a go too if you want some sueprhero madness.

Anyway back to Baldur's Gate, great games, highly reccomended.

I too loved these games and the Champions of Norrath titles were also great. It's been a while since I've played them though, so I suspect time hasn't been kind to them.

Nowadays I get my hack 'n slash kicks playing Torchlight, which happens to be made by the same people who invented the genre via the creation of Diablo.

I still prefer direct control as in the Baldur's gate console games over point and click Diablo/Torchlight style. everyone should try Torchlight though, it's fab.

hmmm this has made me want to track down Diablo on the PSOne.

If you have a PS2 the fast loading option for PSOne games makes a huge difference in load times on Diablo. Just don't turn the filters on unless you like binding boxes around the sprites.

I would say that the first one was the best out of all the neo gauntlet clones. Haveing played and finished them all.

You had to work hard to beat it as a team the first game. All the rest they just made so easy.

2 was just way too easy, there is a trick to make it harder. Use the code to get to the very end boss, use the skeleton spell to beat him.

Then play it from the start, for a real fun challenge on very hard mode, with very weak level characters .The skeleton spell is your best friend. Me and my friend did it this way and by the end of the game he was one of our gang. We called him Boney.

• 2 weeks later...

I :wub: :wub: :wub: Dark Alliance but was bored silly by both it's direct sequel and any game which is basically a re-skinned clone/rip-off, Snowblind's first game in the genre hasn't been surpassed for me, I remember being distinctly impressed by it's graphics at the time too.

My flatmate and (now) wife were both massive Forgotten Realms fans and I got the first one as a gift for christmas - not being into D&D I was slightly underhwelmed and made a polite show of playing it for an hour. Fast forward 48 hours and me and my flatmate had completed it twice and my wife was playing through it in German for a laugh. I got BGDA2 the following christmas and we did the same thing - completed it in one/two sittings - great games, awesome replay value, just a shame the storyline never got finished off.

I'll never forget the look I got from them for not knowing who Drizzt was!

Played the tits off BG1 & 2 - a rare shared gaming experiences with my girlfriend, great fun in co-op.

There's also Champions of Norrath & Champions: Return to Arms which are practically identical to BG & more of the same.

The missus played through both of them too

There hasn't been a game like them since, well not on consoles. Sacred 2 was as close as we got, and it was terrible.

Nothing happened in these games you scour dungeons and hack and slash.

Yes. It's a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. You may as well complain that you don't command armies in Halo, or shoot zombies in Project Gotham 4.

• 11 years later...

Can anyone explain how real time / action style RPG works while using DnD rules? I was gonna try this game out. I find the turn based play on the original to not be my cup of tea!

1 hour ago, bplus said:

Can anyone explain how real time / action style RPG works while using DnD rules? I was gonna try this game out. I find the turn based play on the original to not be my cup of tea!

You don't really need to know the D&D rules for the Dark Alliance games, they play like any other action RPG. Abilities/Spells are assigned to the buttons and you can mash merrily away!

If you do know the rules you'll recognise the spells and abilities and know the lore but none of that is essential to getting started.

42 minutes ago, ox1973 said:

You don't really need to know the D&D rules for the Dark Alliance games, they play like any other action RPG. Abilities/Spells are assigned to the buttons and you can mash merrily away!

If you do know the rules you'll recognise the spells and abilities and know the lore but none of that is essential to getting started.

Unfortunately I was trying to play this on the dolphin emulator. Bit glitchy. Think I'll ditch it for now.

Any other action RPGs with sorta baldurs gate setting worth playing?

19 hours ago, bplus said:

Unfortunately I was trying to play this on the dolphin emulator. Bit glitchy. Think I'll ditch it for now.

Dungeons and dragons heroes is a particular fave of mine, xbox exclusive though iirc.

On 25/04/2021 at 11:53, bplus said:

There is a new Dark Alliance game being released in a couple of months but no idea yet whether that will be any good:

On 25/04/2021 at 11:53, bplus said:

There are the two Champions of Norrath games on the PS2 that use the same engine as BG:DA that were well-received back in the day.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

There are the two Champions of Norrath games on the PS2 that use the same engine as BG:DA that were well-received back in the day.

Oh wow, I was not aware of these.  Amazing, thanks!

Looks like the PS2 is going to survive the summer cull.