IGNORED

Dead Space 2

Capwn

RE: The Marker.

Aren't all markers that were made after the original Black marker in some way imperfect? I remember reading something along those lines after completing DS1, might be wrong though. Or maybe the marker in DS2 has a different purpose/design to that of the one in DS1. (remember the hive mind/Nicole/whatever it is is using Isaac to achieve its own goals/convergence...whatever that is. Really wish they'd explained it a little more through some video or audio diaries from a crazed scientist.)

Also, anyone else notice that only Stross and Isaac were hallucinating/seeing dead people, unlike the first game where Hammond, Kyne, Kendra saw their dead relatives, etc.

That's a good observation, probably just an oversight - after all there's other evidence the Marker is affecting other peoples minds, just more subtley than in the last game. The lack of explanations and back story does frustrate me a bit, I know it's all hokum rubbish but I like to know the reasons behind what you're doing and why you're doing it. I'm not a big fan of the "explain the whole picture using every bit of extra content" philosophy; the original should do that by itself with the extra content providing support and fleshing out.

I quite like some of the back fiction for this series, like from Dead Space 1 where you find out about the rumoured massive Church ships containing thousands of dead bodies (maybe that was on the website actually). I wonder if they could actually do something a bit more interesting with the plot for future games, Resident Evil managed to wring an overarching (albeit full-of-holes) story with Umbrella and the characters within it. Here we have heard from the mysterious "Overseer", who presumably isn't connected with the church or he'd want Isaac alive.

I forget, was the "original" black marker in Dead Space 1 or was that just another recreation? I guess the black marker will become the new Mguffin, find and destroy that, take out the overseer and bring down the Church... sounds like this series can last as long as we enjoy it!

The Overseer pops up at the end of the godawful Dead Space Aftermath (which I mentioned earlier in the thread), he's an old bloke in a senior position in the Government with a penchant for murdering his own henchmen like the bad guy in an 80s action movie.

Although in retrospect I was glad I watched it as you get Stross' full backstory, which doesn't come across that well in the game.

I forget, was the "original" black marker in Dead Space 1 or was that just another recreation? I guess the black marker will become the new Mguffin, find and destroy that, take out the overseer and bring down the Church... sounds like this series can last as long as we enjoy it!

From what I remember, the Marker in DS1 was another man-made Marker. The original was discovered on Earth(?) by the founder of Unitology but after he was killed it was taken in by Earth Gov who tried to replicate it. I can't remember the explanation why that replica was in the middle of the Aegis VII in the first place but the Unitology somehow got wind of it and sent a ship influenced by them to go and retrieve it - the Ishimura.

If anyone has more information that that, I'd be happy to hear it!

Cleared it. An Aliens to Dead Space's Alien indeed! Bold, bombastic, 20 miles of bad road with some ace set pieces. Shame it fell victim to Crap Last Boss Syndrome, and could've used some judicious editing from chapters 5-10 to keep the pace up.

9/10 mind.

Fave bits?

The Ishimura. One spooky fucking ship.

Stalkers. Motherfuckers. They don't get on well with mines though.

The "Eye Poke Machine", as the trophies delightfully put it. Repeated facial megastabs ahoy! Tense as hell, regardless.

...aaaand of course, the ending. "...what?"

Good choices there. My fave bits:

First stalker encounter - oh shiiiitttt!

The train ride, followed by the excellent up-side down bit.

Elevator ride up to the Solar Array, I loved the sound of the bands humming past and the view of Saturn.

Anti-gravity above the Solar Array - great atmosphere and the view of the Sprawl is amazing.

Ishimura start section - brilliant build-up of tension where you are on edge the whole time expecting to be attacked... and aren't!

Returning from Ishimura Engineering through the decontamination - you just knew what was going to happen... and it did!

Dodging Tiedmann's goons and then being responsible for unleashing the horde on the whole base!

When the marker starts convergence. Awesome - bodies flying everywhere, epic sound!

Being trapped in that room with the Regenerator, you only have just enough time to rip the door control panel and you know he's coming whilst you're frantically trying to fix it!

That's a good observation, probably just an oversight - after all there's other evidence the Marker is affecting other peoples minds, just more subtley than in the last game. The lack of explanations and back story does frustrate me a bit, I know it's all hokum rubbish but I like to know the reasons behind what you're doing and why you're doing it. I'm not a big fan of the "explain the whole picture using every bit of extra content" philosophy; the original should do that by itself with the extra content providing support and fleshing out.

I quite like some of the back fiction for this series, like from Dead Space 1 where you find out about the rumoured massive Church ships containing thousands of dead bodies (maybe that was on the website actually). I wonder if they could actually do something a bit more interesting with the plot for future games, Resident Evil managed to wring an overarching (albeit full-of-holes) story with Umbrella and the characters within it. Here we have heard from the mysterious "Overseer", who presumably isn't connected with the church or he'd want Isaac alive.

I'm sure you're right. Now that I think about it, I remember a couple of the audio logs of one of the engineer repairing the Ishimura started to hallucinate.

Agreed. It's an interesting universe with an interesting, if not entirely unique story. (major flashbacks to the Flood from Halo with the Unitologists taking the role of the Covenant) They just aren't very good at telling a more wider/broad story when it comes to the main game in the series. Extraction, from what I've played, does a much better job with dialogue, story than both DS1 & DS2.

I don't mind them adding more story/fleshing out the universe with the movies, just don't make them required viewing.

The black marker was indeed the original, it was discovered and taken back to Earth and hidden until it was revealed by Altman.

http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Marker

I had no idea DS had its own Wiki. :o

There goes my evening.

That Dead Space Wiki is quite informative, cheers! I can't imagine watching/reading any of that generic drivel so it's good to have it all summed up. The Altman backstory is quite interesting, and do a search for Red Marker and Black Marker to get the general gist of things (much of which isn't covered in the games). I like the idea of having underwater sections in the next one in a hunt for the Black Marker, though it could be a bit too Bioshock I suppose.

You guys weren't joking about the 'red bit' in chapter 13 were you. Got through first time but I used practically my whole inventory of items :(

I literally (and I mean, literally) had to fight the sub boss with nothing but a pile of stasis ammo and my melee attacks. Fucking did it like a boss though.

Story wise, I really like the way Dead Space as a universe has a clear fiction, which is teased and explained through the games (and mostly-shoddy ancillary stuff like the movies etc) without ever ramming it down your throat. It makes for a much more streamlined and objective based method of storytelling, where the tasks you're performing don't seem too contrived and you're never really forced to watch wordy cutscenes where voicesactors stand around explaining the plot to each other.

I think the apparently confirmed Dead Space live action movie adapts (I think EA signed a two movie deal) could go into the universe quite a bit. Just spent a half hour browsing the DS Wiki and there's a lot of interesting stuff there. Maybe do an origin story?

Just finished chapter 6, have to say i wasnt a big fan of the

pre-school

setting. I give credit to visceral for wanting to mix up the environments a bit but that just fell flat for me. Felt like it was trying a bit too hard to be creepy and messed up. But nothankyou.jpg, i like my space stations dark and industrial. Chapter 7 seems like itll deliver the goods on that side of things anyway. So far so good, but its not exactly blown my hair back yet.

Should probably mention that I also thoroughly enjoyed the Clarke character; I had worries but he's a great everyman hero.

Yeah, I was a little worried when they announced he'd be fully VA but they handled it well...but then it can't have been as worse as him facepalming after the big reveal in DS1.

Quick question, did Nicole look different to anyone else? I've just been playing Chapter 14 again and she looks very different to DS1. Possible deeper meaning or maybe they had to change the VA and decided to mocap her instead of getting the old VA who played Nicole in DS1 back.

Yeah, when you see her right at the start especially you can tell they've refined the faces a bit.

anyway, on chapter 10 now and fucking hell:

The ishi hasn't half changed. Not for the better imo as it now FREAKS ME THE FUCK OUT quite a bit more than it used to. Talk about it being a character in its own right though - in DS1 I felt the design had real presence n all, but now it's a full on ghost ship. Like the event horizon, it just won't die, even after dropping a planet on it, and keeps shitting with you. Whichever idiot spacer decided to recover it needs a good kick.

I beat the first Dead Space, but have not watched any of the 2 animated movies. Should I watch these before starting Dead Space 2?

No, for the love of Altman they're terrible.

Re: chapter 11:

there's a backstory novel about the Ishi's retrieval by a bunch of spacers, and according to the Wiki, yeah, they got ruined. It's an evil. Fucking. Ship.

Just had to dial the difficulty down to normal. Survivalist was just an absolute chore. Wish i had started on normal as constantly dying/restarting the mob sections or setpeices thanks to that shitty difficulty robbed them of any excitement or awesomeness they might have had the first time around

Even on Normal the run from Chapter 14 to the final boss is a challenge and a half. Hurrah for adjustable difficulty!

Yeah, anyone attempting this on hardcore is mental. This last bit is really poorly balanced, and keeps swarming me with stuff I can't take down despite doing nothing but hitting all my targets dead on at the maximum fire rate with a completely levelled up weapon whilst using stasis and gravity gun environment objects to my advantage :facepalm:

I can feel some Morrirage coming on to be honest, the combat doesn't even make sense when you're fighting that many enemies in such a small space. Issac just jiggles around like a flaccid penis whilst appendages flick everywhere and then he falls over in nine pieces for no reason. Think I've died about four times up until now, already died eight times at this bit.

Edit - Great idea to put a flickytailed glitchobeast right behind a door with slides up too, so the second you press to open the door a tail comes flicking out and you fall down dead. *Slow clap*

Edit - Last attempt resulted in a bug where the camera just span around and around obviously unable to start the death animation, until I quit out.

Edit - 15 attempts, FYI. That's 3x my entire amount of deaths so far in a single room. Balanced!

Edit - 19

Edit - Put the difficulty down for about 15 seconds, got through an otherwise impossible room (seemed a bit broken) and then put it back up again. Last boss was fine. Ending was cool.

Loved the callback to DS1 with Ellie sitting in the chair, loved the fake ending. Loved the eye bit (ugh). Loved the expansion of the story without giving too much away. All really good. Overall I liked how the game was essentially more of the same, with a few sensible additions and much more varied locations. They really put effort into Isaac as a speaking character with some interesting interactions with others. I liked how the story ended up. And very replayable too by the look of it.

9/10!

It's like watching Mr Blobby get mauled by a bunch of rabid bears. I think that bit was broken, it would spawn Mr regen (fair enough) but then also spawn six fast necros and two spitters, and once I'd killed at least one of each type it would spawn another spitter and necro. All inside a tiny room. And I couldn't run through because there was a flicky and two shooty things right outside. Seemed wrong somehow, It was a very strange difficulty chokepoint in an anotherwise excellently pitched difficulty curve.

Is it my imagination or does the option menu start changing slightly the further into the game you get?

Just finished Chapter 7 (currently averaging about a chapter a night at the mo) and there are now swirly pieces of broken marker spinning around the main options menu along with some of that weird writing... so either it does, or im going mental! :ph34r:

Is it my imagination or does the option menu start changing slightly the further into the game you get?

Just finished Chapter 7 (currently averaging about a chapter a night at the mo) and there are now swirly pieces of broken marker spinning around the main options menu along with some of that weird writing... so either it does, or im going mental! :ph34r:

Yep, clear the game for a special surprise!

Not really.

The can see why Chapter 14 might be considered a pain in the arse. There were a fair few tricky rooms. Luckily i'd already figured out the Ripper is completely awesome for mobs (and therefore maxxed it out) - i basically back myself into a corner with a blade spinning and let 'em all run at me. Pure bloodbath! Sure you'll get spat on, but that only slows your movement and doesn't drain health so it's fine.

Even when the

Regenerator

turned up, one blade dragged up and down took his arms and legs off, leaving him in a wiggly mess on the floor. Plenty of time to get those doors open. :eyebrows:

Looking forward to NG+ tomorrow.

Yep, clear the game for a special surprise!

Not really.

Actually...

...certainly once you've finished the game some messages in Unitologist script appear on the menus; it's possible they were there before, but I only noticed after the credits. If you nudge the right stick you can pan your view and in the corners of the screen you'll see several sentences.

Presumably someone's translated them but I haven't gone searching for what they say yet, much less print off a key myself.