IGNORED

Dead Space 2

Capwn

Personally, I went nodes until the ammo became a real concern and I never bought medkits. In retrospect, it'd have made some sections way easier if I had.

Just twigged about that! I'd been all about the nodes previously but with the onset of these black bastards (:huh:) Isaac's life will have to take precendence over a a few extra seconds of stasis! I am loving the detonator mines though, they have got me out of many a tight spot.

So last Friday I was bored and thought how great it would be to start Hardcore mode. So at 6:30 pm I started something I'd never thought I'd try. Getting back into it, I didn't find it too challenging. Immediately I noticed this is definitely not Zealot. But as expected after 2 hours of play I died at chapter 4. The funny thing is it wasn't by an enemy or something respectable like a sub-boss encounter, I died from a door that just ran out of stasis lock <_< . You could imagine how I felt. I couldn't really process my feelings. I ended up pacing around the house for about 15 minutes. I was so close to putting DS2 in my bag and trading it in the next day. I couldn't be mad because I died so stupidly, but I was mad because I had just wasted 2 hours of my life. After a night of deliberation with a fellow rllmuker and a good nights sleep, the next day I felt reinvigorated. I couldn't wait to come home and try again.

So last night I started Hardcore mode attempt #2. This run was more successful. I passed the dreaded door section that killed me last time and felt a weight was lifted. I ended up saving not to far after that. But before that in typical Mikey fashion I almost got killed by another door! I ended up dying anyway on the

stalkers in the warehouse

so I wasn't too mad. It wasn't too far off but far off enough for me to just put it down for the night. So this morning at 3:00 am I was rolling around in bed and I couldn't sleep. DS2 was on my brain. So got up and continued. I made it to disk 2 and earned my unofficial save and died once more at the section minutes after

solar array elevator

. Then tried again and died at a section 30 minutes later in the

computer AI area

. Tried again and made it through so I just reached Chapter 8 and decided to save I have to go to work so unfortunately it feels like a wasted save. I do figure I could go more, but maybe I cant...Im rolling with the plasma cutter force gun and line gun. My stasis and rig, though not maxed are getting lots of attention with power nodes and my p cutter is almost maxed. and when I'm done with the p cutter ill be upgrading the other guns.

I've figured my endurance wears thin at about 2 hours. Even with breaks and walks my nerves are so shot that silly mistakes are made constantly and my progress suffers. This experience has been truly frightening. And not for reasons you'd think. Ask a gamer what's worse, a broken console or a broken hard drive? Erasing ones progress in a game is truly horrifying, to me. There's an argument to be made that Gaming, in the bigger scheme of things is a waste of time (not that I necessarily agree with that...) so for someone or something to nullify the "progress" you've made especially after a huge time investment has been made just makes it even more..........sad. I'm sure I'm not the only one here whose had a game save corrupt in a game you were really into, and that single handedly made you stop playing the game, maybe even for good.

So I stand here today asking why I'm continuing with this? I've wasted 3+ hours on it already. I'm playing this in a constant state of fear and duress. I really don't particularly like feeling this way but yet I must continue. Is it like stockholm syndrome? I'm really trying to understand why I continue with this mess. I'm left with one save with about 3 hours, at best of game left. And it's not getting easier. I fear my nerves will force me to save somewhere that I really don't need to but will ultimately kill me and make more repeat yet another time. So Dead Space 2, you win! You have scared me, probably not in the way you think, more than any other game has to this day. :(

Games are ultimately about fun and enjoyment, Mikey, so if you don't have that then it's pointless playing a game. The thing with me though is that I like the challenge as well as the fun & enjoyment. I was this close to quitting on Zealot due to dying so often (poor ammo/med/node management made it harder than it should) but although the fun/enjoyment disappeared on a couple of difficulty spikes my desire to overcome the challenge kept diving me onwards. But there is a line though, which is why I walked away from Demon's Souls halfway through because replaying a level over and over just to die on a Boss proved too much for me, and I feel no shame nor failure in doing so (you finished Demon's Souls didn't you?)

They're just games.

(bloody funny to hear that you died by 'door' though)

Have a +1

Chapter 12 should have been the final one.

Just got to 13 and taking a break for the football. I actually am looking forward to seeing where the 'story' is going, plus I'm enjoying the challenge.

If I didn't know I was approaching the end-game, I may be feeling the same as you though!

So many amazing deaths. I hadn't seen some of them but the one I liked most was:

on being grabbed by Nicole in the Chapter 15 and being forced to kill myself with the Javelin Gun. I laughed so much when I first saw that

I watched your first edit yesterday morning before going out for the day and found myself singing that bloody Scatman song throughout the day.

Just watched your final edit. Great work!

Edit: damn, the tune's back in my head.

Aye, there's a couple of nice deaths I missed out on - the one at the first decompression room springs to mind - and doing this video allowed me to smack down the difficulty and see just how many ways you can die. It's nice having checkpoints again!

And yeah, been too long since I heard the Scatman tune. The first Re4 death video I saw was made to that tune, so I decided to go with it as well. I'll probably get a few dislikes from people who want heavy metal and incomprehensible screaming in every youtube music video, but that's cool.

This game almost rewards you for dying when you get smashed apart in such gratuitous ways. It's brilliant.

Massively dissapointed in this. I really enjoyed the first game and was looking forward to this. Its boring in comparison and brings nothing new to the table. its a by-the-numbers sequel and I haven't touched it in a few days. Games like AC Brotherhood, Phantom Hourglass, Phoenix Wright and ALTTP have been a much more pleasurable experience over the last few days.

The insta-deaths, nonsense plot and seemingly worse controls all add up to a poor game. I want to get it finished and sold on quick, but it is just not drawing me to it at all.

Massively dissapointed in this. I really enjoyed the first game and was looking forward to this. Its boring in comparison and brings nothing new to the table. its a by-the-numbers sequel and I haven't touched it in a few days. Games like AC Brotherhood, Phantom Hourglass, Phoenix Wright and ALTTP have been a much more pleasurable experience over the last few days.

The insta-deaths, nonsense plot and seemingly worse controls all add up to a poor game. I want to get it finished and sold on quick, but it is just not drawing me to it at all.

Worse controls? What was worse about them? They were considerable more refined, responsive and intuitive compared to the controls on DS1.

Boring? Not sure how anyone can claim this to be the case. The set-pieces are infinitely more impressive than anything in DS1. And by making removing backtracking/making the game more linear, the devs are able to make each area more unique/interesting.

Same goes for bringing nothing new to the table. The Zero-G sections? Using the environment to your advantage/to kill Necro's? Using Necro limbs to kill other Necro's? Venting areas? New weapons? New enemies? New combat skills?

I agree about the plot, but some your complaints are very bizarre.

I also find your complaints rather off the mark. Horses for courses I suppose, but still....the combat offers numerous joyful opportunities, the gore is morbidly visceral and Issac becomes amusingly profane when you ferociously stomp those damned necropmorphs. This game has ticked many boxes for me! Ticked them using offal! I think Sarge is on the money, particularly since I was entirely unaware that you could rip off enemy limbs and appropriate them as weapons in the first game (I barely used stasis in combat in Dead Space as well! :facepalm:)

EDIT - Not to mention super sexy Zero-G!

the gore is morbidly visceral and Issac becomes amusingly profane when you ferociously stomp those damned necropmorphs.

I find it hilarious when you're stomping a human corpse so that the infectors won't reanimate them and Isaac starts calling them bad names.

Also, Howard Philips must have had the rawest deal in videogame history.

I find it hilarious when you're stomping a human corpse so that the infectors won't reanimate them and Isaac starts calling them bad names

Those people had families! That is one element where the psychological trauma could have been utilised far more within the dialogue - mission specifics seemed to take precendence over the sheer horror!

Those people had families! That is one element where the psychological trauma could have been utilised far more within the dialogue - mission specifics seemed to take precendence over the sheer horror!

Isaac's been desensitised by the relentless horror. It's the First World War and Europe all over again.

Great game though. Like the first, the sound design is amazing. Just started chapter six and loving it so far (though can't get used to Isaac speaking. I keep thinking it's someone else talking to me.

So last Friday I was bored and thought how great it would be to start Hardcore mode. So at 6:30 pm I started something I'd never thought I'd try. Getting back into it, I didn't find it too challenging. Immediately I noticed this is definitely not Zealot. But as expected after 2 hours of play I died at chapter 4. The funny thing is it wasn't by an enemy or something respectable like a sub-boss encounter, I died from a door that just ran out of stasis lock <_< . You could imagine how I felt. I couldn't really process my feelings. I ended up pacing around the house for about 15 minutes. I was so close to putting DS2 in my bag and trading it in the next day.

I know the very door! This exact same thing happened me when I tried out Hardcore. I was surprised to find it was a touch easier & thought I would see how far I got, then thinking maybe I can get to disc 2. but no!!! Fuck THAT door!!!!!

Chapter 14 and this is seriously outstaying it's welcome for me.

Have a +1

Chapter 12 should have been the final one.

Why oh why oh why are you pushing onward when it feels like a chore? Just take a break for a day or two. Jeez. It's GTA4 all over again.

I know the very door! This exact same thing happened me when I tried out Hardcore. I was surprised to find it was a touch easier & thought I would see how far I got, then thinking maybe I can get to disc 2. but no!!! Fuck THAT door!!!!!

OMG kindred spirts!! you have no idea how good i feel now.

Heres a digital hi five :hug:

Because the last 3 chapters should not have been there. During Chapter 12 you learn more or less what is going on and how the game is going to end. Nobody is eagerly awaiting 3 'extra' lets-see-how-many-hallways-and-enemies-we-can-throw-at-the-player chapters.

I enjoyed the last three levels for the spectacle, but not for the monsters. Feels like they just threw a big grab bag of nasty at the design. No tension at all. I had to knock it down to casual on the last boss. Great stuff though, did find it a bit weird Isaac walking round in full space suit around some of the more 'normal' environments.

I enjoyed the last three levels for the spectacle, but not for the monsters. Feels like they just threw a big grab bag of nasty at the design. No tension at all. I had to knock it down to casual on the last boss. Great stuff though, did find it a bit weird Isaac walking round in full space suit around some of the more 'normal' environments.

I thought it was pretty understandable that it would get pretty overwhelming that close to the marker.

I'm up to Chapter 11 on Survivalist difficulty but this talk of silly amounts of Necromorphs from here on in has got me worried. If you do drop the difficulty level for a brief spell, does your achievement go out of the window with it? (I'm assuming there's an achievement for doing it on Survivalist difficulty). I fully intend to soldier on a do my best, but I don't want it to become a chore - I've loved every minute of it so far.

There isn't, only Zealot and Hardcore modes.

Finished it now, done 75% of it on Survivalist then dropped the difficulty down, since it was getting all kinds of mental and was getting the ache with the constant death/respawn cycle.

Its definitely doable guys through shear force of will.