IGNORED

Dead Space 2

Capwn

On the flip side, I had to force myself through Dead Space, whereas I got carried through to the end of DS2 within a week and enjoyed all of it (nearly). Even Resi 4 took me almost a year to get through, on and off.

Like the first, prefer the second for reasons outlined earlier. I think Edge and EG were spot on with this one. Though GamesTM took their praise a little bit too far. Hopefully there will be more DLC, there does seem to be room for another slot. :)

Though GamesTM took their praise a little bit too far.

I'd agree with this - I've seen worse games get a ten as well though, and the enthusiasm in their review was nice to see amongst so much cynicism these days.

So yep. They probably went a bit far in their enthusiasm, but no more so than a lot of other titles arriving to hype and expectations.

One thing I liked about the first was that it was the chapters split it up nicely into 45 - 60 minute chuncks, it meant I could finish a chapter a night spacing out the game nicely and keeping it nice and tense everytime I played (rather than getting dull to it in mammoth sessions)

Just starting chapter 13. Getting quite into the plot now (finally) as I was finding the story a bit less engaging than in the first.

I like the fact that Nicole is no longer a fire-eyed monster (for now, I'm assuming), and thought the scene where Isaac got rid of Ellie was nicely done.

I've a feeling I've now reached the stage where the game just starts throwing stuff at you though. I sold a bunch of stuff to get the next suit up, but think I'm going to go back and just buy lots of first aid and plasma energy instead (having just fully specced the cutter so it now sets people on fire). I went through the door after the shop and just got minced about three times, even though I looked the business.

Chapter 7! That's more like it, hope it carries on like this.

It's weird, because earlier in the thread there were people saying they were loving it until chapter 7 when it apparently started to fizzle out. As far as I'm concerned the first disc is pretty much a total write-off, aside from a few notable encounters like the raptors and the train sequence it's just 6 chapters of filler and things are only just getting interesting.

Chapter 7! That's more like it, hope it carries on like this.

It's weird, because earlier in the thread there were people saying they were loving it until chapter 7 when it apparently started to fizzle out. As far as I'm concerned the first disc is pretty much a total write-off, aside from a few notable encounters like the raptors and the train sequence it's just 6 chapters of filler and things are only just getting interesting.

I personally feel that the game really gets going from about chapter 7 to the end. Other people on rllmuk certainly have had the opposite opinion.

I'm with you on this one. Chapter 7 is where it really started to get its hooks into me.

Maybe because I'm a massive fanboy of the first game, and it's this chapter where Isaac starts having to fix stuff rather than just try and find people.

I really should get back into this then if that's the case. I must be nearing Chapter 7, but I've not had the drive to play it all week due to the first 6 chapters being a tedious slog. I'll fire it up tonight, instead of downloading BG&E.

Well, I've just gone through the nursery and now I'm at the stage set piece, with hardly any ammo for any of my 3 weapons. I've got the plasma cutter, the line gun and I ended up grabbing the ripper seeing as I've not had the option for the force canon yet. Anyway, how am I supposed to do this when all my guns are dry?

Is chapter 7 the

solar array?

If so, that was definitely my favourite level. It's got that proper hard sci-fi vibe about it. I felt like I was in Sunshine or something.

Heh, I was thinking 'they should make a Sunshine game!' all the way through that level. I'm onto chapter 9 now and really enjoying it. I just can't understand the value of those early church levels, I nearly stopped playing because of em. Bizarre choice.

Well, I've just gone through the nursery and now I'm at the stage set piece, with hardly any ammo for any of my 3 weapons. I've got the plasma cutter, the line gun and I ended up grabbing the ripper seeing as I've not had the option for the force canon yet. Anyway, how am I supposed to do this when all my guns are dry?

Just use your force power. When I'm low on ammo I'll throw anything at the greasy fuckers. Tables, chairs, corpses.

Then run in and stomp!

Ripper should get you through. You can kill many of the Pack with one blade, just keep those blades spinning in front of you. If other enemies attack, use stasis to give you some breathing space and pick up the ammo drops from the Pack.

If all else fails, use stasis and smart smashing with your weapons.

Stomp the human corpses before hacking. That'll save you from three black necromorphs. Use the stasis behind the hacking terminal to give you some time against packs. And remember to crunch their bodies for loot.

The ripper should help you with that - just hold it on their corpse for a second and they'll pop out.

And finished!

Considering how much I loved Dead Space I never got round to finishing it (chapter 9 or 10 iirc), but I got through this in just a few days. I really enjoyed it, overall. I really like the universe they've created, the story, the characters and the background info about it all, and the story in DS 2 was compelling and engaging.

The last few areas became a bit of a slog, though, to the point where I gave up trying to fight everything and just legged it (which, in hindsight, seems like what you're probably meant to do).

Definitely worth playing, definitely worth finishing and really looking forward to the inevitable Dead Space 3.

The last few areas became a bit of a slog, though, to the point where I gave up trying to fight everything and just legged it (which, in hindsight, seems like what you're probably meant to do).

It went against my code of conduct but it had to be done. I agree with your sentiments about the game wholeheartedly - it will lurk in the dark recesses of my mind for a long time!

Issac's suicide at the spike of the Javelin gun if you get accosted by Nicole in the final battle was bloody horrific!

I've just finished as well; Zealot difficulty, just over 8 hours on the clock.

It's a weird one this, it really is a game of two halves, with one of those being awful and the other superb. It's almost too convenient that the exact split between two happens when you switch discs as well.

I initially thought the first half was merely average, but shone in the unfavourable light of the rest of the game it comes out looking much worse. The sprawl, as a location, is completely wasted. It could (and should) have been Rapture in space, with the player travelling between genuinely unique districts and tracking their progress across this enormous station.

Instead what we got were a load of tedious cut-and-paste rooms with an occasional palette change, all strung together in a highly unconvincing linear manner, with nothing ever being given a chance to breathe. This also had the side-effect of making the Sprawl, a huge monolithic space station, seem tiny as everything is apparently right next to each other in one building. It also suffers from a complete lack of pacing, right from the start it's "MONSTERS MONSTERS BODIES MONSTERS SCRIPTED-SEQUENCE MONSTERS MONSTERS" as if the whole thing had been made by Treyarch.

And then you switch discs.

It's like another developer takes over. Immediately, the game chills out. The unsettling silence of the first returns, along with the well-thought out and practical level design. The solar array is quiet, it's evocative with the birds chirping away, it manages to tell its own story and also makes complete sense as location. The zero-g, for the first time, is used in an imaginative way rather than for no reason whatsoever. The 'puzzles' are clever and make sense, and the set-pieces don't feel completely forced and obsessed with showing you 'cool' shit at the expense of logic and disbelief.

And it carries on like this, right through to the end. You travel from location to location and not only are they all distinct but crucially you always have a reason to be there. I loved everything from that point onwards, even the infamous final 3 chapters, which for the record were nowhere near as bad as people made out. I was expecting the enemy numbers to get ridiculous, but they were always manageable and I still had absolutely loads of spare ammo by the end. That said, the final boss is fucking annoying.

So yeah. If the first disc had been as good as the second, this could have been an all-time classic. It could have been the next Uncharted 2, or even Resi 4. As it is, I find the finished product quite frustrating because it pisses away all that potential with 6 chapters of lazy filler. It's still well worth playing though, because when it finally gets good it's genuinely everything you could want from a Dead Space sequel.

Impressions of the Severed DLC:

Thought it was alright. Forgettable but enjoyable all the same. The return of the uber-fast enemies was a nice addition, it's a shame that the atmosphere and scares were quite thin on the ground. I think after the main game you just saddle up and deal with it because you know what to expect, so atmosphere and scare factor is diminished.

Also was hoping to see some different environments. It was cool to see a different time-frame for the environments we'd seen in the main game but there was barely anything new.

The story and characters felt woefully under-developed after having spent all of Extraction with them, though the end was quite cool. Even a few logs could have helped give a bit more background.

I found the difficulty on Zealot to be quite easy compared to the final levels of the main game, with a full inventory of medpacks and ammo towards the end.

So, not bad, feels a bit expensive for what it is, but I got a few hours of entertainment so can't complain too much. Hope there will be another, better DLC at some point.

I am also amazed that people in this thread were going on about how the game goes sharply downhill after the first six chapters. The first disc (after the great opening chapter) felt like an expansion disc for Dead Space 1, whereas the second disc is super imaginative, and full of variety - there's

the sun collector sequence, complete with free-fall dive right down the spire

, there's

the return to the Ishimura, where it's all covered in forensic tarps and gaffer tape (the walk down the tunnel connecting it to the Sprawl reminded me of that bit from ET, bizarrely), and there's that bit on the medical deck where it's all lit in UV light,

and there's also that bit

in the asteroid mine, where you're floating around in zero G in that massive chamber.

The second disc is just fantastic - scarily intense, and has a hard sci-fi edge to it that you don't get in many games. I love the way that the game plays with your expectations, especially on the

Ishimura sequence. My pants were well and truly shat during the decontamination sequence, as I waited for something to happen

The only downer so far is the fact that I haven't completed the game yet, came into this thread, and accidentally clicked a spoiler link without thinking. And that's my own stupid fault. Doh.

I did that. I accidentally found out that (K-safe spoiler)

I'd be revisiting the Ishimura

about half an hour before I reached that section in the game. Whilst it was a shame I had that surprise spoiled for me, it didn't diminished the quality of that chapter in any way.

But yes, I wouldn't rate the game above Uncharted 2 or Resi 4. I wouldn't call comparison to Resi 4 laughable though, it's a very, very good game and deserving of all the praise it got.

Comparing this to Uncharted 2 is a bit unfair as they are completely different games, Uncharted is more of a platformer with huge explosions and set pieces and plenty of ammo whereas this a typical survival horror which means limited ammo and confined spaces. Personally I would say they are both on a par in their respective genres.

Also Im going to be in the minority here but I think I prefer this to Resident Evil 4. that game is a classic which completely revolutionised the genre but for me this game has a far better story, better set pieces and cinematics, better sound and a much creepier atmosphere and also a better combat system. It doesnt revolutionise the genre like Resi 4 did but it does raise the bar to a new level. One thing I think everyone can agree with though is that this and Dead Space 1 piss all over Resident Evil 5 from a very great height.

I finished this on Saturday and this game has just been one big bad day at the office for me. I feel as though I have played a completely different game to the one described in the thread.

I loved the opening, it felt super tense running along in the straight jacket. At that point I was with it. Then it started to become a bit generic, environments, layout, it was all by the numbers. The Sprawl was disappointing. The combat wasn't making up for it either and the frequency of the combat was taking away from the atmosphere.

I was hoping for some redemption as the game moved into the last third but for me it continued to spiral into combat hell. Maybe the environments did get better and more diverse, the

Ishimura

level was pretty awesome although even then, they tried their hardest to ruin it with a couple of Doom 3 spawning corridors. Maybe I was so glad to get through the slog that I missed all of the awesomeness. The array zero g bit was great, hated the falling through space bit as it reminded me of those crap bits in GoW3, thankfully it didn't last long. The other zero g bits did nothing for me.

For a game with so much combat, it needed to be spot on I feel and it wasn't. I liked it less than Bioshock 2 for example where you needed to use a lot of your options to protect the sisters. With probably two exceptions (the little child like mobs), everything was killed with stasis plus whatever weapon you had out at the time. I got through the combat mostly with just the plasma gun, even the raptors were terribly predictable. Towards the end I starting using the Javelin Gun just for some variety as I didn't need to change my tactics much at all.

Some of the plot stuff was frustrating as well. There was a section towards the end where I started looking at the messages above the doors which went something like, Marker Room, Marker Through This Door, Haha Fooled You, Its Through This Door, I'm Really Sorry About This, It's Definately in the Next Room. I seemed to be running through rooms and corridors just added in so that there was extra combat. The most frustrating were the parts where you would have to conveniently go and fix something after travelling to a spot to meet someone, or crash on route to a section leaving you nowhere near your destination. These parts had me and my son groaning after about half way and it almost seemed as though the devs have run out of ideas as the only reason you had for traversing through the environments was to fix something or because you crashed where you shouldn't have. This was something I remembered from the the first and to repeat it here seems lazy. At the end I didn't really care who was doing what or even why I was doing it anymore.

Whatsherface gaining control of the ship and saving him at the end just summed it up.

Reading that back I've really hammered the game which is a shame as I really wanted to like it. There was a sprinkling of good ideas and 2 or 3 of the levels were good, but overall I found it very generic and predictable and not really much fun.

Long post

I had to +1 this post. Not because I agree with it, but because I appreciate it when people actually take the time to motivate their opinion.

It's interesting how both halves of the game seem to divide people. I too think the second half is better, with chapter 7 as probably the best chapter in the game and 10 being a good second. I still have much love for the first half though. The tense and atmospheric opening, the

train ride

, which is still my fave set-piece in the game, the first and arguably most memorable appearance of the Stalkers, the first time the windows blow out and the

nursery

, which is still my favorite location in the game from a visual point of view.

Just completed this now, after planning to go to bed about an hour ago. Brilliant stuff - the last few chapters were really amazingly intense, what with the

hordes of monsters, and the regenerating bastard thing. Shame you never get payback by finally killing the regenerator, like in DS1. I liked the way the brutality and the carnage ramped up for the last few seconds, until you're just chainsawing hundreds of the bastards, with limps and bodies scattered everywhere. It was like the end of Brain Dead.

A worthy sequel. My trousers could not get any browner. Also, the spoiler I read turned out not to be much of a spoiler at all.