IGNORED

Dead Space 2

Capwn

Hey this is quite good fun. Playing on casual because 1) I'm a wuss and 2) if it get's too difficult or annoying then I'll never complete it.

I do think the save system is a bit backwards though. It just feels so awkward that there's no check points and stuff.

Finished this over the weekend. Massively enjoyed it. The

Stalkers are the new Hunter. Loved the level design - the church was a nice Resident Evil love in surely?

Struggled towards the end, so I

ripped out all the nodes from the Pulse Rifle, then ditched it for a maxed up Javelin.

So much easier then.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished this on Saturday.

I enjoyed the 1st one but felt it got a bit boring towards the end, only for it to pick up at the very last level. This one felt like more of the same, so i got bored with it much earlier. I ended up turning the difficulty down to casual just so I could see the ending with less hassle.

It is probably better than the 1st one, but set pieces aside (some of which are very cool) the gameplay has hardly changed. The new Zero Gravity sections are nice, but the rest of the game feels very padded with you often taking like what seemed the longest route possible to get to your objective (Isaac really can't jump down one floor to meet someone?)

A lot of it reminded me of this scene from Galaxy Quest

:)

This is the hardest game on 'Normal' difficulty I have played I think. I've died so many times I have lost count, and it's definitely taking it's toll on me enjoying it.

It doesn't help with you aiming at the two freaks coming towards you, when all of a suddenly one or two appear from behind you. Really annoying that. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

I completed this the other week. Not bad, but somehow lacking. Despite being practically identical to the first game, it felt weaker in every regard. It lacked the impact, immersion and suspense of the first game. It was hardly scary at all.

Reading the thread and the troubles some people had, I was expecting the game to get uber bastard hard, and pretty much braced myself of that all the way through. However I never struggled, even on the last boss. Just mashed my way through everything with the powered up ripper.

You'd be mental to call it a bad game, it's obviously not terrible, but it's difficult not to be disappointed.

I still think it's a much better game than the first, so it's not diffuclt at all for me to not be disappointed. But as I already spent tons of words in this thread explaining why this is the better game, I'll leave it at that. :)

I got this for my birthday, and I'm loving it so far!

Upto chapter 4 now I think.

Is that Severed DLC any good?

It's okay. In terms of locations it doesn't add much, but a certain enemy returns and it has a cool finale. I got my money worth, but it's fairly short and the focus is definitely on the combat.

Personally, I loved the game. Definitely in the running for my GotY so far, even half a year in.

Severed, though, I wouldn't recommend. There's a couple of highlights but it just feels like phoned-in DLC that never approaches the quality of the main game.

• 4 weeks later...

Only just got around to this but, gosh darn, it's good to have Dead Space back. In a terrifying, what's that noise round the corner?, ohmygodit'scomingstraightatme! kind of way. Just as long as there's no more asteroid shooting, then things will stay golden.

Such a great feeling when you first get your rig back on, too. [Randy Quaid]'Hello boys, I'm back!'[/Randy Quaid]

Finished this yesterday. What am awful, awful last section. What the hell saw the need for that regenerating thing? And then tool you up before making you run through a massive gauntlet of enemies, leaving you practically nothing for the boss battle, which was also bloody awful. Such a shame as it had been really good up to then. They did redeem themselves with the escape to the ship bit, but it was scant consolation for the half hour of crap that I'd just run through.

Ah well, maybe third time lucky, eh.

I got stuck on the bit in the lift where the big tripod thingies are attacking (chapter 6, I think), and never went back to it. Strange how that happens with some games, even though you're enjoying them. I think the stress was killing me.

I got stuck on the bit in the lift where the big tripod thingies are attacking (chapter 6, I think), and never went back to it. Strange how that happens with some games, even though you're enjoying them. I think the stress was killing me.

If you have a pulse rifle, the alt fire makes that section a breeze - one shot knocks them off. And you could always just drop the difficulty for that one section if need be.

I'd consider trying it again, there's a lot of awesome left in DS2 from there on out.

Finished this yesterday. What am awful, awful last section. What the hell saw the need for that regenerating thing? And then tool you up before making you run through a massive gauntlet of enemies, leaving you practically nothing for the boss battle, which was also bloody awful. Such a shame as it had been really good up to then. They did redeem themselves with the escape to the ship bit, but it was scant consolation for the half hour of crap that I'd just run through.

Use the ripper. Run like stink.

I basically didn't stop to take anything out unless it was in front of me. Even then I just rushed through occasionally stomping and mashing the button to pick anything up as passed.

It's a shit ending to the game I'd agree. Especially how the regenerating cunt just turns up for no reason at all.

Totally agree about the Regenerator. It's like it was tacked on after a brainstorm about four weeks before sign-off.

It's also the worst-designed monster in the game. If it ever stands still for long enough for you to have a look then it's hilarious.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I hate it.

Finished this just now, playing on normal mode. The regenerating, unkillable necromorph that slowly walks towards you really adds to the fear and insanity of the situation. I was running away from it like a little girl pissing myself! Can't see your problem with it since it was the last 10 minutes of the game, it was there to hurry you along and not give you room to think. If it was throughout the entire game it would have been annoying. Also, I destroyed that "gauntlet" and made mince meat of the boss with no ammo problems at all.

Now feel free to tell me you were playing on hardcore and that I'm a scrub for doing it on normal mode :hat:

• 1 month later...

I have a huge pile of games I've played a bit and never really gone back to, mainly because I don't have the time. I mostly just dip in and out of Trials HD, but I was recently given Dead Space 2 by a friend. It's without doubt the best game I've played in years (and I've played through the Halo: Reach campaign recently, which I throughly enjoyed). I also recently bough a set of Tritton AX720 headphones with surround processing and I've been playing this in a darkened room. It's so immersive it's utterly terrifying. There's so much to like - the attention to detail, the tech, the story, the variety of environments, and the graphics are just so well made. One pet hate these days that my gaming time is more limited is infrequent saving opportunities. But in Deep Space I think that because the save points are quite frequently distributed I keep getting to one, then thinking I'll just have a quick look at the next bit then go to bed. 2 hours later I look at the clock again! I'm about half-way through, but I've just ordered the first game so I can experience the horror of the Ishimura.

I remember downloading the Xbox Marketplace Dismemberment Demo when the first game came out and thinking it was complete toss - woo, another Doom clone with better blood effects.. How wrong I was.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished this

Dead Space 2 MANY FUCKING ENEMIES

the pacing was all over the place and the crowd control is none existent.. enemies at the front , back, babies jumping about spitting projectiles up your arse, being puked on by monsters in the distance...fucking hell it is an complete and utter bastard of a game, the default difficulty level is majorly fubar. I 1000/1000 the first game and doing the insanity run with only the plasma cutter, was a lot easier than this slog.

There's some genuinely outstanding moments though. Loved the first disc... thought it went really downhill after chapter 7 and never really recovered. Way to brown and claustrophobic and the sense of progression and exploration went out the window.

In all honesty I thought the first game was an absolute gem and I still think for the most part it is a lot better than this one.

Also the sound mix on the ghostly voice overs were rubbish...couldn't understand half of it because they went way to over the top on the distortion effects.

7/10