If you could play any game from scratch again what would it be?

DarhkFox

I would have said UFO: Enemy Unknown as well.

So, I'll have Elite wiped from my mind, but then NOT replay it. Instead, I'd enjoy the various clones/homages a lot more without rose-tinted nostalgia getting in the way.

Except that wouldn't work, because I've already played the clones, and I'd be like "Hmm, I don't like this as much as, erm...what was it again?"

Hm, I can't get my head round it. If all knowledge of something that affected something else was wiped from your memory..how would that affect the memories that were linked? Surely your brain would just liquify and vacate through your nose?

This experiment suddenly sounds too dangerous. The Haitian can go pork himself.

My instict thought has always been, and probably always will be Half Life. I had never played a game with such scope, vision, depth and balls to the wall epic-ness and the experience is crystallised in my memory.

However, upon reflection I may want to switch to Grand Theft Auto 3. Unlike its 2D predecessors it carried a real sense of depth and progression in terms of the world and your actions. The level of interaction was unparalleled at the time and the graphical upgrade was eye opening for so many reasons.

The first mission was called Give me Liberty and ever since that first time we all jumped in the nearest car and drove through the rain-soaked streets of Liberty City, Rockstar North have been giving us liberty every time. Truly great memories.

Due to the way the original post is worded then I'd have to go for Super Mario Galaxy. It is an absolutely fantastic game that I could play for the first time today and fall in love with. I would've picked something like FFVII, Shadow of the Colossus, ALTTP, Yoshi's Island but compared with the games I've played over the years which they would inevitably get compared with then I'd have to pick something newer.

If you could wipe my whole memory of gaming up until the point of the game I chose just for a day then I'd pick Yoshi's Island as it is fan-fucking-tastic. If I could be sent back in time to experience the actual time I first played a game then I'd choose FFVII as that was one helluva good Christmas. I didn't even ask for it somehow my parents finally managed to pick the perfect present.

Reading through the suggestions and pondering over the question, It's dawned on me just how many great games have been released but more importantly, how many I would love to see again with fresh eyes.

Tomb Raider

The lonely atmosphere and set piece puzzle design had never been seen in 3D the first time I picked it up in 1996. The feeling of coming across a new and unexplored cavern caked in darkness or working out a puzzle to open a passageway was magical. I don't think any other Videogame has nailed Tomb Raiders sense of wonder and exploration.

GoldenEye 64

I played it almost non-stop on my mates N64 over the course of the winter when it was released. From learning levels, exploring the multi-player, devising fun new game play variations and working out how to get into that air vent, GoldenEye is one of my most fondest games I remember playing with friends as a kid. It would be great to replay a game in this modern era that recaptured that friendly, mates gathered round one system and having a riot.

Halo

Possibly one of my most played games of all time, chiefly down to Co-Op and the first exclusive console shooter that was done right. It was nothing new or revolutionary about what the player done, it was the way Bungee had some of the most advanced and cunning Enemy AI ever seen in a FPS and let them run riot in these beautiful levels. My Brother and myself played this together almost every single day for over 2 years on its release and had some great times playing Halo. The vehicle integration, enemy AI, control and set pieces all combined into the best Co-Op experience I've ever played. Halo 3 is better in every way but it did not recapture the freshness that the original had.

Half Life 2

Too many great moments to mention, and unlike some of the my favourites, I do actually go back to this and replay it but the feeling is not the same as when I first ran through City 17. From the Airboat to the Coastline, from the dialogue to the exploration of a new area, no one game this generation has felt so complete like Half Life 2 has. To revisit that world for the first time would be too good an offer to refuse.

I've played games that I would rate higher and include on games I would love to play through with a blank slate, such as Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion, Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid 3 and countless others, but those 4 would be pretty special to see again.

This is a great thread. I agree with many of the other choices here, especially Silent Hill 2. That'd be awesome to go through again.

But for me it'd have to be Little Big Adventure II and Broken Sword I and II. When I was younger I really loved adventure games, and in 1997 I got to play a whole bunch of great and often forgotten ones - The Feeble Files, Toonstruck, both Broken Swords, both LBAs, the Monkey Island games.

Yeah I loved the old point and clicks, i was annoyed when i found out toonstuck had been shortened to make way for a sequel, which then got cancelled.

Loved the broken sword/monkey island games.

A lot of the old games, i probably cant remember much so would be like playing through again in some ways. Most of the nintendo snes games are still a blast to play through again though.

If we were saying 'here's a time machine to play games again' then it would have to be the winter of Shenmue...

In fact, all of the time I had with the DC I'd quite happily play again; staying up all night playing MSR so I can play Tokyo in the sunlight, running the Lucky Hit stand in Shenmue, grinding about in Jet Set Radio, being for once genuinely surprised by a plot point in RE Codename: Veronica and marvelling at how good the Japanese are at doing horror....

All joyous occasions.

Yeah I loved the old point and clicks, i was annoyed when i found out toonstuck had been shortened to make way for a sequel, which then got cancelled.

Loved the broken sword/monkey island games.

A lot of the old games, i probably cant remember much so would be like playing through again in some ways. Most of the nintendo snes games are still a blast to play through again though.

Yeah, the ending of Toonstruck really upset me. Especially as the rest of it was absolutely fantastic, and had some of the funniest and most imaginatively twisted stuff I've ever seen in any cartooney media. It's probably the most underrated point and click adventure ever - and I'm tempted to track down an old PC to play it again, along with a bunch of other unknown adventuring gems from defunct companies circa 96/97.

Resident Evil 4 is an obvious choice as its popularity so far demonstrates. However I feel that the real joy of that game was the gameplay itself not narrative or experiential elements. It wasn't a particularly shocking or surprising game first time through and thus I feel it isn't ideal, no matter how great it is. For me just playing it through now recreates the joy of it.

I don't think any playthrough would ever be as good as the first.

What about the panic in the first village scene? Pounding stuff making me a nervous wreck. The first time you exploded the head of a ganados with a piledriver. When you finally got the 'Big Cheese' boss down. The mess you made when the Bella Sisters popped up. Meeting the merchants character, and always always feeling like you've been ripped off. The entire castle sequence.

It's the first game I've played where I don't mind dying, especially to all the brilliant and exotic insta-death sequences.

Oblivion, would have to be. I've completely exhausted everything the game has to offer but I still boot it up just to wander about. Half-Life 1/2 I replay every year (in fact, Half Life 2 gets played every Christmas, and I'm looking forward to it.) and the experience remains fresh and exciting, like watching Indiana Jones or Star Wars.

But I just can't bring myself to restart Oblivion. I've seen it all, done it all with the one character and the feeling of complete awe as I stare out at the world in front of me has yet to be bettered (though Fallout 3 came close).

braidtitlescreen580px.jpg

Possibly the best game I've ever played. I haven't touched it since it originally came out and I'm determined not to for as long as possible. I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe, if I go back to it in a few years time I'll have forgotten about it and it'll feel fresh, but I know deep down that it won't. :(

braidtitlescreen580px.jpg

Possibly the best game I've ever played. I haven't touched it since it originally came out and I'm determined not to for as long as possible. I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe, if I go back to it in a few years time I'll have forgotten about it and it'll feel fresh, but I know deep down that it won't. :(

That's a nice choice. I don't think I've had quite the same feeling I got playing that with any other game.

ICO, given that i'd still have all my other gaming experiences and knowledge, like many previous posts have stated. The pure minimalistic style yet powerful immersion that game can give is such a refreshing experience.

If i could forget everything about games but somehow keep a bit of intuition and muscle memory it would probably be Zelda: The Wind Waker. If you didn't know there were other zelda titles it's partly derived from it would be pure awesome!

Yeah good shout outs generally here. I think the type of thing I wish to re-experience most are games which involve some level of 'working stuff out' which makes you feel clever; Portal and Braid are the first to spring to mind, but this definitely fits with any Zelda (mine would be Link to the Past) or Metroid (Super, natch), and even games like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. And Super Mario World man. Maaaaaaaaaaaaan. I'd love to go back in time and do that one all over again. :wub:

Other than that, games with a good 'journey' or sense of exploration tug at my desire for a mind rubber, too - Half Life 1/2 (2 especially for me), Oblivion/Fallout 3, the Metal Gears, Eternal Darkness (oh man, it would be good to experience some of that again), even Left 4 Dead would be ace to go through unknowing.

But I suppose it raises an interesting point; do we think it's possible to make a game which is just as memorable each time you play through? A lot of games lose their appeal once you've seen their tricks once..