IGNORED

Best Looking Games Console...

myoozikk

800xl.jpg

Technically it's a computer, but it had the cartridge slot on the top which instantly booted my faves like Star Raiders, Lode Runner, and some boxing game I can't remember the name of. I still think it look sleek compared to the Speccy, Amstrad, or C64.

Holy shit, that was my first console/computer! Our Australian cousin handed it down to my brother and I with a metric tonne of games and a variety of busted joysticks. It used to heat up like a motherfucker and your Mum simply closing the airing cupboard door upstairs was enough to jeopardise its fickle loading procedures, which also used to take the best part of a morning too. We had a football game that stunk but a pleasing ninja game, called err, Ninja and a Ghostbusters one too that kept you amused. The cart games were absolutely gash, but the most played as they fired up instantly.

I should add that we were given this is about 1994 and at the time we had no other console, so it was a real novelty.

Captain Sticky's Gold! :wub:

:blah:

That, Hijack, and an awesome firefighting game where you drove to the building then had to put out the flames were the ones that stuck out from the Atari Smash Hits collections I had

Holy shit, that was my first console/computer! Our Australian cousin handed it down to my brother and I with a metric tonne of games and a variety of busted joysticks. It used to heat up like a motherfucker and your Mum simply closing the airing cupboard door upstairs was enough to jeopardise its fickle loading procedures, which also used to take the best part of a morning too. We had a football game that stunk but a pleasing ninja game, called err, Ninja and a Ghostbusters one too that kept you amused. The cart games were absolutely gash, but the most played as they fired up instantly.

I should add that we were given this is about 1994 and at the time we had no other console, so it was a real novelty.

I mind getting "Ace Of Aces" on tape for my birthday. The loading was a joke most of the times (Gauntlet - 30 mins) but I later found out that most games were disk based in the US. Anyway Ace of Aces took 45 mins including a tape flip, and when you inevitably died, as is normal when playing for the first time, you had to reload the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME.

But for all the stinky badly designed games, stuff like Captain Sticky Gold, Ninja (a £1.99 mastertronic game if I remember), Bounty Bob Strikes Back, and an awesome Tron clone called Killacycle, were all brilliant. I reloaded Mercenary on an emulator recently, and had my rose tinted specs shattered by the awesomeness of the jaggy lines :lol:

I really loved the English Software titles on the XL, that Karate one that played the music from Antiques Roadshow for some reason, and that one where you went speeding along a track before hitting a stationary object. That game had amazing music.

Mind you, if the only games I ever played on it were Rescue on Fractalus and Bruce Lee it would be in the Hall of Fame, anyway.

Yeah....they rocked. I had that one - although i'm sure they did Planet Zeon (The shmup) in Red as well.

*edit* - no....it was the other one. I had Planet Zeon and Sky Attack (the tron one).

Planet Zeon was the Xwing trench thing.

Didn't ever see this one though...

Tomy-ShermanAttack3D.jpg

front9.JPG

just came across this on my internet travels. :wub:

I too intended to post the ZX Spectrum once the thread drifted into including microcomputers as well as consoles. I mean, it says "Best looking", not "Best feeling"! ;)

If only MS had gone with the prototype design for the original xbox....

58_xbox.jpg

There's a health/magic recovery station in Ninja Gaiden that's based on that design.