rllmuk
Rudi von Starnberg

The Paradox Strategy Games Megathread

It only takes a month to capture unfortified provinces. Forts, meanwhile, require larger armies to besiege than before. You don't just stick 2 units in every province and wait for ages any more.

I have been trying it out as a Japanese Daimyo, where it is now quicker than before to conquer all those two-to-three province rivals because of this, but I think I might play my next proper game as England since they get parliaments from the start.

Purchases have been made, courtesy of Steam daily sale and Nuuvem being, well, Nuuvem (since its sale is actually worse than Steam's, it was the recent DLC for "full price" I got there) and the full job lot (essentially) is now installed.

Bye, life.

Ta for advice, despite that!

It only takes a month to capture unfortified provinces. Forts, meanwhile, require larger armies to besiege than before. You don't just stick 2 units in every province and wait for ages any more.

I have been trying it out as a Japanese Daimyo, where it is now quicker than before to conquer all those two-to-three province rivals because of this, but I think I might play my next proper game as England since they get parliaments from the start.

I'm doing a Scotland game - which is much more doable now with the forts and development, much easier to resist England properly - although I went Reformed and didn't realise that you don't get the customisable Churches unless you go actual Protestant. Shame. :(

Oh that's a good idea actually, I will do that. I started a game in Italy but it was set to iron man, then Steam went down which fucked up my save somehow (was only 5 years in anyway).

Not sure what they did but I feel manpower depletes a bit too quickly now in EU, presumably because of the forts. One *successful* war makes you vulnerable for about 15 years if there are no wars in the meantime, and every time you answer a call to arms your manpower can get wiped out by a single battle or siege before it can recover, resetting the clock. That is good in a way as it makes wars more meaningful, but I think it's a bit OTT. The ai seems to bankrupt itself on mercs to deal with this, which seems to be part of the reason France and Austria are a lot weaker than before - opportunistic smaller powers preying on them when weakened by war.

That said, overall it is a major improvement. Having a fun game as Milan, diplomacy is very important given how badass the Papal State is.

Playing a Poland -> Commonwealth game. Have effectively won in 1560 or so. Beating the life out of Muscowy every time the truce timer ends and slowly dismantling it. Have Novgorod as a vassal, annexed Lithuania, both holy orders and Crimea. The new siege mechanics have completely changed the game for me. The AI still makes some very questionable moves. When I attacked Muscowy the first time I advanced slowly, occupying cities in summer then sitting back to avoid the 4% attrition from siegeing in winter (:S) while a siege stack with cannon and siege pip general (Heir rolled as a 2 3 2 3 :D) reduced one fort at a time. The Muscovites gathered about 35k men in one stack and trolled around between Murmansk and Finland getting pasted by attrition and refusing to engage in a battle.

Manpower loss is a bit extreme. I thought something had changed but wasn't sure if I was just imagining it. I like it.

Yeah I really like the intention with the manpower changes but it seems a little bit over the top when combined with the more aggressive and opportunistic AI. I think there needs to be a happy medium.

You can get around it to a partial extent by taking admin ideas which makes relying on mercs much more viable, but you're still open to some of the other negative events caused by low manpower, and more importantly the AI seems to have a very tough time dealing with it - so many times I find my bigger allies refusing to help me in a war because they're deep in debt, which seems to be incurred by using mercs.

My Milan game is a fun one so far - somehow Siena swallowed up Tuscany (!?), I've conquered Mantua and Lucca, moved my trade port to the Genoa node, then diploannexed Corsica. Was soon forced to release the island in a war (fine by me, Corsica sucks except to use as an extra port), so now there is a tense stand-off between me, Venice, Savoy and The Papal States, who are all of similar strength. Genoa sits temptingly in the middle, existing only because neither I nor presumably the AI want to provoke the others right now. Milan has some nice national ideas and some great provinces (Milan might be the greatest city in the world at the moment in my save, with only a little bit of development). I took the Ambrosian republic for a while, which gives great rulers but is very unstable (you start with just 50 Republican Tradition and re-elections are every 3 years) and causes everyone to hate you - so I eventually restored feudal monarchy - ruled by the Medicis no less! My plan is to form Italy then go expand into Africa, but it's going to be tricky to get some of the provinces, specifically Rome and Ancona.

The patch really made Italy a lot more interesting, with the new cultures and provinces and a couple of opms. All the Italian states can (and do) all leave the HRE by an event in 1490 unless the entire region is under HRE control which, opens up the area really nicely for fun and delicately-balanced gameplay without having to deal with 'unlawful territory'. There isn't really anywhere else in Europe like that where you don't have to deal with HRE politics in the game - Western Europe is all larger powers, Eastern is very 'blobby'.

The fort/siege system's great, isn't it?

Ahhhhh, looks good! I have been meaning to get into Crusader Kings but if I can leapfrog into something similar but play as hippies with Hyperweapons I'm in :D actually who am I kidding I'll just turn into a tyrannical military hegemon like I always do.

I've been caning Civ5 for much of the summer, put in about 230 hours this year and was starting to get a little bit bored (just a little). Anyway, I have always seen these Paradox games and uhhmmed and ahhed.... do I have time to learn them? Can I be bothered? And then when they came up on Steam for sale, this past weekend, I decided to dive in and bought EU4. Just EU4 not expansions or anything*

A newbie guide to EU4.

I read a starter's guide, in fact there is one out there that does a starter's guide for complete beginners, Paradox (but not strategy) beginners and EU4 beginners. It was useful, but everything is still couched in terms that I didn't really understand. I went through the tutorials, and that was pretty useful. Just to give you the basics of moving units around, what trade is (although the complexity of this still baffles me) and how to grow your country.

And then I started an easy game as Portugal and just played it by ear. Within the first decade I was at war with France and Morocco, had my entire army and navy destroyed in North Africa and was being invaded by the French... and thought... Jesus! Why did I agree to go to war with all these people, what an idiot. So, ashamedly (and probably unnecessarily I realise now) I quit out and started again. This time, I'll be more careful.

I still went to war in N Africa, but I relinquished my alliance with England so avoided the French invasion. N Africa is tough... I managed to drag Castille in with me and they really helped, and it also helped that Morocco was at war with Tlecom (or whatever they're called). So I managed to get three provinces and hold them. And that is IT for N Africa... for now anyway.

I decided that I wanted to be at the forefront of the new world, and so started rebuilding a navy to go exploring... then realised my explorer had died and I was stuck twiddling my thumbs for however many years waiting for Quest for the New World to come up. Finally, I was able to make explorers again and sent them on their way! The boat sank! :o Wat? Oh I see they lose supplies the further from land they are and gradually diminish and sink... I didn't know that! Then I couldn't land.... oh I need a Conquistador to land... finally I got onto the West Indies and started having a look about. Then I sent colonists over. then I moved onto modern day Columbia and sent colonists over there. It was just me and the natives and I started really enjoying myself. I mean a stack of 20 modern units didn't seem to get much trouble subduing the natives! :) A few other nations started popping up and I had just cut off Castille (my friendly partner) from colonising a large swathe of Northern S America when...! Portuguese Colombia appeared and took all my land! :o Wat? Nobody told me that might happen! And so I sat back and thought... fuck ya then and took my troops back and invaded part of N Africa, lost my fleet and and my entire army and only just managed to hold onto the three provinces I did have thanks to help from Castille. FUCK!

I spent about forty years recovering from that. Meantime I kept sending colonists out and making Portuguese Colombia bigger. And started a few wars with the natives. Then got into a major war with the Incas, PC joined me and together we kicked their arses all over the map. Then, two random events, first up my marriage into Castille paid off in spades when my King inherited their crown! Suddenly they were my subjects... ooh! Then the Inca king turned up in one of our battles and I had the choice to take his money and let him go, or take his money and kill him. Damn savages, I killed him of course, that'll show them what modern civilisation looks like!

But that meant I then had core claims on all the Inca lands, which spread from Peru all the way through Chile. Oooooh. They became Portuguese and I started to expand my kingdom again. For about three years, once I'd created five cores they flipped and Portuguese Peru was born. Oh well, so be it I thought, and started to grow PC northwards through Mexico. Portugese Mexico came into being.

Now, I am doing okay. I've still got a small army and hope to god Castille doesn't get invaded by the French or something. Otherwise it's going to be a nightmare. I just don't ever seem to have the manpower to create huge armies. I have subjects in the Anmericas (Portuguese Mexico the latest) and have just moved into North America proper, brushing up against the French (I can feel the tension already). Still got over two hundred years to go too!

My advice for new players, stick with it, even if it seems you've lost it all. This is not Civ, that early failure does not mean it's game over. Keep your head down, get into the green money wise (something I find very difficult, but usually means dialling down my military spending in peacetime and ramping it back up in wartime) and fast time it through a couple of decades. Pause it if anything interesting pops up, or when you can increase tech or ideas. Then suddenly you find yourself in a stronger position. A couple of lucky rolls and you find yourself with new colonies, flourishing trade networks, loads of money and N Africa, just sitting there, with a Casus Beli on that one province you never managed to get LAST time...

Loving it!

*What a mistake, I wish i'd bought the entire catalogue! What an idiot! GAAAHHH!

• Upvote 1

Paradox Acquire White Wolf from CCP Games

STOCKHOLM - Oct. 29, 2015 - Paradox Interactive, a global games developer and publisher, today announced the acquisition of White Wolf Publishing from CCP Games in an all-cash deal. Now a subsidiary of Paradox Interactive, White Wolf Publishing is a licensing business that owns and manages intellectual properties including World of Darkness, Vampire: The Masquerade and Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Led by CEO Tobias Sjögren, former EVP of Business Development at Paradox, White Wolf Publishing will operate as an independent entity with a dedicated team.

White Wolf Publishing has a long history of producing gaming universes that span mediums, including tabletop and collectible card games, PC games and books. Paradox Interactive acquired all of White Wolf’s brands, and its new subsidiary will pursue development opportunities across relevant categories of games under the White Wolf Publishing name.

“Like Paradox’s games, White Wolf’s properties have dedicated, passionate communities. While there are similarities in spirit, White Wolf’s IPs have very different themes than Paradox’s titles, and deserve their own brand and team,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO and President of Paradox Interactive. “We have great respect for White Wolf’s gaming worlds and see big opportunities for their expansion in the future under our new subsidiary.”

“Over the last 20 years, I’ve had the opportunity to work with beloved studios like DICE and Paradox on the business management side of games, and as a developer earlier in my career. I look forward to bringing my experience to bear as we pursue new ways to interact with White Wolf’s universes,” said Tobias Sjögren, CEO of White Wolf Publishing. “The White Wolf IPs are well suited for all kinds of media and we see great potential to expand them in the future.”

"At CCP, we have great admiration for the White Wolf brands and communities, and it was extremely important to us that the acquiring company share the same respect and understanding,” said Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of CCP Games. “With Paradox, we know we are leaving the brands in good hands."

I am very excited by Stellaris. They have started their dev diary series - not much detail yet but what is there sounds great.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-1-the-vision.882808/

There's lots more detail there actually, because the dev diary series has been ongoing for 7 weeks. :lol: This is what happens when you get your news from Rock Paper Shotgun, who aren't so much on the cutting edge as somewhere far down the hilt.

Here's the thread containing links to all the developer diaries so far.

• Upvote 1

Haha, oh! You know I don't even read RPS for that reason normally, but that article came into my Google now page.

Should have known!

RPS was already a bit sub-par but they seem to have hired a bunch of idiots at some point, every time I end up looking there it's awful.