IGNORED

When consoles hit their peak

Ketchup

I was thinking about the original PlayStation and when it reached it's peak before slowly dying. I think it's peak was probably when Metal Gear Solid got released. Sure we had a few great games after that before a bunch of children's shovel ware arrived. I may be wrong with this, but this to me is the time when so many other great games came out, it was THE time to own a PlayStation and afterwards was just a downward slope into rubbishness.

The Mega Drive probably hit it's peak with the release of Sonic and Knuckles, one of the best 16 bit games ever. After that, i can't remember anything memorable.

The Dreamcast didn't really have much of a life to hit it's peak but it probably has to be in it's death throws. Virtua Tennis 2, Shenmue 2, Head Hunter and Rez. After that nothing else really mattered.

Im trying to think what game/s came out for the N64 that mark it's peak but it's hard. Perfect Dark came out in 2000 and was it's last hurrah but it had long been relegated by that point.

So what games or times in a consoles life do you think they hit their peak at?

Are you misusing the phrase 'jumped the shark?' it refers to the moment a TV show cements its status as completely devoid of what made it good in the first place. I don't see how a console can jump the shark, though a game series could. Additionally, if a console could jump the shark, it wouldn't be the moment when the best game came out (ie your example of Sonic and Knuckles).

Possibly, however i think there is a time when a console hits it's peak and then just has rubbish coming out for it with the odd gem. A bit like the Simpsons really. I think with my Mega Drive example there was still lots going for the machine before S&K hit but after that there wasn't much of interest.

Possibly, however i think there is a time when a console hits it's peak and then just has rubbish coming out for it with the odd gem. A bit like the Simpsons really. I think with my Mega Drive example there was still lots going for the machine before S&K hit but after that there wasn't much of interest.

there's a bit of a difference between saying "when games released for a console reach their pinnacle of achievement" and saying "when games released for a console become so bad that you're convinced there'll never be anything good for them ever again".

The point is, Jumping The Shark is when something hits its nadir, not it's peak.

I was thinking about the original PlayStation and when it reached it's peak before slowly dying. I think it's peak was probably when Metal Gear Solid got released. Sure we had a few great games after that before a bunch of children's shovel ware arrived. I may be wrong with this, but this to me is the time when so many other great games came out, it was THE time to own a PlayStation and afterwards was just a downward slope into rubbishness.

yes, yes you are

You are mistaken. To quote Jon Hein of jumptheshark.com:

"It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak"

So in that case, the best moment in Happy Days was when The Fonz jumped the shark? Eich don't think so.