IGNORED

Is single player gaming losing it's importance?

Lothar Hex

Is it just me, or are publishers and/or developers becoming more focused on multiplayer games? Nothing against multiplayer games but I like my single player epics like God of War. You still get the good single player games, like Batman: Arkham Asylum and so on but with the sequel to Bioshock, one of the best single player games of recent years, getting a multiplayer portion, which seems kind of odd to me.

I dunno, I always liked my single player games, maybe cos I had very few friends as a kid ( :doh: ) and grew up playing a lot of games by myself. I just don't want them to dissapear. That said, I love my co-op games like Halo.

Anybody else get this feeling or is it just me?

I've never really been a fan of multiplayer games except when I'm playing with friends - which is what bugged me about xbox live, I don't want to play games with wankers from america (or anywhere else for that matter) and I dont want to pay £30 quid a year to play the odd game of left for dead with a few mates.

I'm happy I've got the PS3 now, at least it's brilliant for the small amount of multi player I do.

But I do agree with the OP too, I much prefer great single player games, and have come to really beign amazed by some great co-operative 'story' driven games (halo 3, gear of war etc). But if the demand is out there for deathmatches and capture the flags (I really dont even know what that is, sadly). then the games will be made. It's the 'mass migration' from one game to a newer one that I'd hate most.

Games of the year for a lot of people were Uncharted 2 and Batman. Last year most would have said Fallout 3.

Single player games are still very much loved and being produced.

Conversely though,

"Games of the year for a lot of people were Street Fighter IV and Modern Warfare 2. Last year many would have said Rock Band 2.

Multiplayer games are becoming more and more pervasive."

Conversely though,

Games of the year for a lot of people were Street Fighter IV and Modern Warfare 2. Last year many would have said Rock Band 2.

eh? My points wasn't that they were to be considered better than multi-player games, more that they are still relevant

Sometimes online scoreboards in games are enough multiplayer to enhance a single player game beyond the experience without them. Then again, for every game that does that well, there's another one with cheap tacked on multiplayer that nobody even bothers with.

And I'm guessing this topic is looking at online multiplayer, as opposed to local multiplayer?

eh? My points wasn't that they were to be considered better than multi-player games, more that they are still relevant

Yes, but the title of the thread is "is single player gaming losing its importance". I don't think anyone would suggest single player gaming has "lost" its importance. What I meant was that yes, there have been plenty of games in the last 2 years that have been great multiplayer experiences, but I do think we're seeing more of a shift towards multiplayer.

I don't, for the record, think we're ever going to totally lose single player gaming though.

No.

If Modern Warfare 2 was multiplayer only, I think you'd be on to something. You're not though.

Multiplayer is for many publishers more about getting people to keep hold of the game for longer. Stop the trade ins, sell more full price copies, game retains value. The dangling carrot of DLC also serves this purpose.

If Modern Warfare 2 was multiplayer only, I think you'd be on to something. You're not though.

There have been people on this very forum complaining about the multiplayer though, saying they'd have preferred to have paid less and not have it.

I apologise anyway Elmo for nit-picking; whilst I think multiplayer has gone from strength to strength this gen, I don't think single player games are going anywhere.

EDIT: Personally, I think single player will definitely rule the roost until we see a little more diversification in multiplayer gaming. I really want to see a return to the original Xbox Live, where we see stuff like Midtown Madness, Mechassault, Crimson Skies, less hardcore racers like MotoGP, and start to see more co-op RPGs and other genres. Multiplayer on Live seems to be really homogenised now; the current big thing seems to always be an FPS or realistic racer. Maybe though that's just a response to the market.

I think there is an OK balance now, I didn't like it a couple of years back when it ALL seemed to be about the multiplayer, Halo 2 being a case in point, where the Live aspects were given a lot more time than the single player stuff.

Its already been pointed out that some of the best games in the last years were single player experiences, for others it was the multiplayer. The CoD series seem to have this balanced right, I love the single player stuff, can leave the live stuff, but a lot of people buy it for the multiplayer. As long as I still get a good single player experience, everyone wins.

And games like L4D help this I reckon, as it is clearly a multiplayer game, so one I've not touched. I don't feel I am missing out as its never been presented as having a good single player campaign.

After a few wobbly years, I think that a balance has been struck, and games focused on what they want to do.

Just to throw something out there, I think the shift to digital delivery will see focus return to singleplayer a bit more. When publishers don't need to worry about pre-owned sales there's less pressure to include a multiplayer mode as a means of keeping people from trading in for a couple more weeks.

Personally I'm interested in seeing where things go with "passively multiplayer" features like the real-time hi-scores in Geometry Wars 2 or the messages players can leave in Demon's Souls.

Single-player gaming isn't going anywhere; even though you have Halo, L4D, Team Fortress, Borderlands, CoD4 and others all enjoying plenty of success online, people still put a lot of effort into the solo campaigns of games. PC gaming used to be in a similar state, with every FPS stirring up loads of discussion about the multiplayer side of things... For me, I still really enjoy single-player experiences; there's a great personal satisfaction from working through a deadly campaign alone and feeling so much relief once you've reached a checkpoint. What is annoying is when a game is deliberately hard in single-player to encourage people to play it in co-op; if it's geared towards multiplayer to such an extreme extent, why have a solo campaign there in the first place?

EDIT: as an aside, both my favourite game of this year (Persona 4) and most highly-anticipated game of next year (Bayonetta) are solo experiences...

Personally I'm interested in seeing where things go with "passively multiplayer" features like the real-time hi-scores in Geometry Wars 2 or the messages players can leave in Demon's Souls.

I've heard the term "asynchronous multiplayer" used to refer to stuff like Demon's Souls; it certainly sounds interesting.

Scores don't really work for me though; online high scores always seem astronomically high 15 minutes after a game is released.

I think there is a shift, because this is the first generation for which online play was well supported across the board. On consoles, we've never really had that. Last generation's Xbox Live was certainly the start but it was still something people were treating as a bonus, with the odd exception. Now we've got games that have a heavy focus on online play, sometimes to the detriment of the single player game, sometimes not, and sometimes overshadowing it.

I've always been a single player guy, and I look at the games I've got for the 360 and I don't see any major change. Far Cry 2, Mirror's Edge, Crackdown and Tomb Raider Anniversary have all been terrific solo experiences for me, as have Braid, Shadow Complex and Portal. Even the multiplayer games I've got have offered a lot of single player value. I frequently play Rock Band on my own, offline, improving my drumming.

Single player won't go away, but the rise of online play will mean that it'll be joined by large-scale multiplayer titles, not replaced by them.

Scores don't really work for me though; online high scores always seem astronomically high 15 minutes after a game is released.

I was more referring to those sourced from your Friends List, really, like the markers in Trials HD that show how far your friends got. Then again you could look at things like the tower in World of Goo or GIRL in Noby Noby Boy as interesting ways of seeing how you fare in the grand scheme of things.

It's not a case of single player gaming losing its importance, but multiplayer increasing it's standing. Whilst games like Bioshock 2 do have a MP component almost tacked on, this is more as a selling point. You only need to look at Frontlines to see that the market for MP focused games in the console arena isn't that big.

Christ, just look at Major Nelsons most played list. A few major titles stick and then it's almost a weekly shift.

But the success of Assassins Creed, Batman:AA, Dragon Age and Brutal Legend in the past few months - all of which are resolutely single player, along with a multitude of titles where MP is a secondary component (at least for the first couple of weeks) demonstrates that both publishers and gamers are after solitary experiences.

I think that Borderlands and L4D show a way to move things forwards in more coherent, marketable manner though. The way a narrative is entwined within such experiences needs work however m

Single player won't go away, but the rise of online play will mean that it'll be joined by large-scale multiplayer titles, not replaced by them.

My worry is that single-player won't so much be replaced by multi, but rather that in various ways it will be compromised by it.

RE5 is probably the best example, a game which (as far as I'm concerned) completely snubbed its roots in favour of including a buddy who tags along for the entirety of the campaign. It screamed of sacrificing an atmospheric, tense experience for one which could be played co-op with a friend throughout. Fine and dandy if you play it as an action shooter co-operatively then, but if you want to play it on your own then you have to deal with limp AI and convoluted should-really-be-doing-this-with-another-human buddy set-pieces. And if you want a survival horror, then you're just screwed.

Conversely, for all the shit that Infinity Ward deserve over some of the decisions they made concerning MW2, they at least have my respect for sticking to their guns [heh!] on their campaign's integrity; insisting on a non-compromised single player in the face of many fans crying out for full co-op, whilst still offering a playmode for that co-op play on the sidelines.

I guess what I'm saying is, I hope that games with a story to tell take the MW2 approach to Campaigns, but I worry that many will end up taking the RE5 one because it'll be easier to market, even at the expense of creative and/or narrative freedom.

Conversely, for all the shit that Infinity Ward deserve over some of the decisions they made concerning MW2, they at least have my respect for sticking to their guns [heh!] on their campaign's integrity; insisting on a non-compromised single player in the face of many fans crying out for full co-op, whilst still offering a playmode for that co-op play on the sidelines.

You could argue that the MW2 campaign is a quasi multiplayer experience anyway, as it's very rare that you do any of it without crappy AI buddies stealing all the fun.

Also, it's just not very good as a single player game.

I think that there is a real shame with some games that are excellent in single player, like GOTY 2008 Far Cry 2, not getting enough love in their equally excellent MP mode because they are perceived as being purely SP experiences.

Maybe a solution is to release MP and Single as separate packages, or a "bundle" package.

Take the new Splinter Cell.

Single player campaign. £25

MP Mercs vs Ninjas with lots of options and maps. £25

Full Package. £45

Would this solve or create problems??

Maybe a solution is to release MP and Single as separate packages, or a "bundle" package.

Take the new Splinter Cell.

Single player campaign. £25

MP Mercs vs Ninjas with lots of options and maps. £25

Full Package. £45

Would this solve or create problems??

I have said similar countless times before. Might try and dig out my posts on it.