IGNORED

Crystal Maze Coming Back?

Spartan

Stephen Merchant looks like Eddie Hitler.

With that aside, I think he's been pretty spot on so far. It's a shame it's just a one-off, I'd like to see a whole series with him. His "fourth wall breaking" has been quite funny everytime. They couldn't have gotten anyone better (Besides Dickie of course, but I suppose he has reasons as to why he didn't do the whole show.)

Actually really enjoyed this, Stephen was funny and the games brought back good memories. The celebrities were o.k if a little stupid and they'd dummed down some of the games (Josh's game where on the wall it said "=5" for the yellow combination!) but if they brought back Merchant I could see it being great with ordinary people.

Yeah i enjoyed it too. Did think it was weird they cut it down to 3 zones instead of 4 and i cant believe they got so many gold considering most people who played the game back in the day only ever seemed to manage to get 50 gold or so..

I think celeb versions are a good idea but i'd probably give it a go with normal people.

8 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Did there used to be a jungle zone?

:P

I remember there was an Ocean Zone for a while though, which I think replaced Industrial. 

I enjoyed the special, but more as a nostalgia thing I think. I noticed it was filmed at The Crystal Maze Experience, which explains why it seemed a little budget compared the original show. At the same time it made the Experience look really awesome though. I'd love to give that a go one day. :)

Ah I wondered why it looked so small! That makes sense then if it was at the Experience. Fair play, looks pretty good for an Escape Room thing. 

Any idea how it did viewing figures wise? I'd watch it if it was a series but they should #bringbackthewater if they get a proper series budget.

On 10/17/2016 at 00:46, Fry Crayola said:

Er, they had four zones. 

I saw Aztec, Medieval and Futuristic.. maybe i missed something? I can't remember seeing industrial show up. 

36 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Ah I wondered why it looked so small! That makes sense then if it was at the Experience. Fair play, looks pretty good for an Escape Room thing. 

Any idea how it did viewing figures wise? I'd watch it if it was a series but they should #bringbackthewater if they get a proper series budget.

It did pretty well, 3 Million viewers. Will there be a new series? Thats down to C4 i guess, they would definatly need to have a bigger budget - perhaps it would be better to build a new crystal maze so they can have water elements etc (if health and safety even allow that) but a six episode series in the crystal dome experience could work i guess.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I heard that the special was recorded at the Experience place in London, and that a proper place for a running TV series is being built at the old Granada Studio Tours in Manchester.

15 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Did there used to be a jungle zone?

No, Aztec, Industrial, Medieval and Future. Later on, Ocean replaced Industrial.

But the Aztec zone looked a bit jungly when it was bigger.

(Was it bigger? I'm sure it used to be bigger.)

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

I saw Aztec, Medieval and Futuristic.. maybe i missed something? I can't remember seeing industrial show up.

It did, they did three games there.

1 hour ago, Liquid Myth said:

I heard that the special was recorded at the Experience place in London, and that a proper place for a running TV series is being built at the old Granada Studio Tours in Manchester.

I haven't seen a full series mentioned, but they are building a larger version of the public Experience there, so it would make sense for it to be filmed at that one. 

1 hour ago, Sprite Machine said:

No, Aztec, Industrial, Medieval and Future. Later on, Ocean replaced Industrial.

But the Aztec zone looked a bit jungly when it was bigger.

(Was it bigger? I'm sure it used to be bigger.)

It did, they did three games there.

My bad,  I can't have been paying attention....

I actually didn't hate Steven Merchant in this. I would still have preferred a more actorly type but he was funny and had nice rapport with the contestants, who were all surprisingly personable too (even the athlete!). The only real disappointment was the games mostly being familiar. Presumably if they did a full series they'd make some new ones.

On 17/10/2016 at 10:48, sir shrew said:

Or more like, "we don't have a Crystal Maze studio, so let's use the existing attraction where the games are designed for paying members of the public and aren't super difficult."

They did change certain puzzles for the worse though.

I did the Crystal Maze challenge a few months ago and 2 of the puzzle rooms I took part in were shown on the show, but one in particular stood out. That was in Medieval Zone (I think) and on the TV it was questions like: Number of Adele singles x the years since Liverpool won the FA Cup etc. and then you had 5 dials with numbers on.

When I done that challenge, it was just maths riddles on the walls like 4 times 6 divide by 3. It seems like they softened some of the challenges for TV or put celebrities in the questions.

And for anyone who loved the Crystal Maze, you need to do that experience in London. Although you can tell it's a converted office block (Even on the TV, you can see fire alarms!) they've gone above and beyond what I expected, Aztec Zone was boiling hot, the challenges were in keeping with the show and our guide was hilarious and completely in tone with the original.

Here was the final shot they took of us after we completed it, we were so excited some of my mates were gurning massively! I'm second in from the left. And no, we couldn't keep the jackets and yes, I brought 2 crystals from the gift shop.

The%20Crystal%20Maze%202016_zpsulnebgov.

Really liked the special, hope Channel 4 get behind a full series with normal contestants and go big on building a new set.

46 minutes ago, Wools said:

That was in Medieval Zone (I think) and on the TV it was questions like: Number of Adele singles x the years since Liverpool won the FA Cup etc. and then you had 5 dials with numbers on.

When I done that challenge, it was just maths riddles on the walls like 4 times 6 divide by 3. It seems like they softened some of the challenges for TV or put celebrities in the questions.

Perhaps you're describing it poorly, but your version sounds easier.

I found the pure, cold hard equations written on the wall to be more daunting than the celebrity questions.

Then again, being in the thick of it might have clouded my judgment and made it more tricky that it actually was!