rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
myoozikk

Daft Punk Thread...

dunno if i like this. i think it's boring and difficult. don't think i'll ever listen to it again, really. is there a standout track?

edit: "Within" is good. i guess i've just got to chill out and get into this Twin Peaks lounge jazz vibe.

• Upvote 1

Wait, where's the digital download code. I can't find mine :(

Mine was in the disc 2 side. If you can't find it and can't return it you can have mine.

HMV do the vinyl for £17, thats a great buy!

Not suprisingly Amazon didn't post my 1 star review of their service for release day delivery. I was polite and didn't use words I shouldn't, just pointed out that posting stuff ON A SATURDAY will not get to anyone ON A MONDAY.

I am hoping its here today, although won't get to really sit down with it until Friday eve at the earliest now.

Used to in the good old' days. I remember a decade back ordering something from Amazon on Sunday afternoon, getting a dispatch email a couple of hours later and the item arriving before breakfast on Monday morning (although I was a student at the time, so breakfast was probably mid-afternoon).

Mine was in the disc 2 side. If you can't find it and can't return it you can have mine.

Yay I got one! I was in such a rush to rip the plastic off I didn't notice the sticker about the download. Thanks!

Touch and Contact are my favorite tracks on the album.

Tell you what you though, RAM is defiantly an 'album' album. So satisfying when listened in one, whereas some tracks are 'meh' in isolation.

Had more time with it. Yup, it's a cracking album. I mentioned it earlier on, but it really does feel to me like a sister act to Tron Legacy! A lot of familiar melodies going on in the background which are almost (but not quite) the same. This is a good thing though, as I think the Tron soundtrack is one of the best from the last few years.

Also: vo-corder stuff. This is how you do it as far as I'm concerned. No fucking about trying to fool folk into thinking you actually sound like that, it's just proper whacky voices for the win.

Good times.

At first I was very underwhelmed by this album but as each day has gone by this past week it's grown on me more & more, until now I think it's fantastic.

Like many I was probably hoping for an album crammed full of life-affirming modern dancefloor classics that like the best of Daft Punk would act as an instant anti-depressant. Instead I got a sumptuously produced & at times absurdly overblown paean to the age of classic disco & funk, embellished with prog rock wigouts, full orchestras & session musicians from Thriller.

Its intentions are clear when on the Giorgio track he says "Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony & music being correct, you can do whatever you want" & then these huge, bombastic strings enter for no fucking reason whatsoever. So it's patently completely bonkers but unashamedly so & seems like a logical conclusion to everything they've done, if that makes sense. It's a love-letter to their influences rendered in as authentic a fashion as they can muster.

I agree that it's also an 'album' album in that it only really comes together & works properly as a whole, I find. Plus that means it all builds up to Contact which is going to make for the best show-closer ever when they finally tour again.

This video says it far better than I ever could:

• Upvote 3

Instant love for me - I stuck RAM on for the first time this morning and I adore it. What I dig the most is the organic, live drum beats. They just seem to free the album up. It ebbs and flows so much, and I love that. I always liked the metronomic, thudding beats of Daft Punk but this feels like a real departure (especially after something as 'artificial' sounding as Human After All), really fresh but still with all the hallmarks of DP. In a few places it has reminded me of classic Air, and even has hints of KLF's Chill Out. My only criticism is I find the vocoder stuff a bit overused.

Listened to this in its entirety 3 times now and I still don't know if I like it. I really don't like Lose Yourself To Dance and Doin' It Right.

It is really starting to grow on me, and seems so intricately constructed. Every time I listen I hear new elements I hadn't noticed before.

• Upvote 1

Nope & they won't be or any video's for anything else so they said in the Pete Tong interview on Radio 1.

Also i was at IMS when Nile was doing his keynote speech a couple of days ago & he squirmed around a question about Robots appearing with Chic at Glastonbury. :eyebrows:

I also filmed this...

• Upvote 3

Been pretty much looping this for the last few days, think it would have bored me if I'd been in a more restless or urgent mood but as I've mainly been lying around getting work stuff done from home, and out in the garden making my veg patch/sitting in the sun drinking pina coladas and smoking, I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

You have to admire an album that starts with the opening riff from The Weather Girl's 'It's Raining Men!' and closes with the brutal pressure-cooker synth assault of a Von Neumann probe using its alien machine intelligence to methodically eradicate all biological life on the planet.

This comment has stayed with me, and I now pretty much listen to RAM as a concept album, with this as the concept - each track is the fragment of a different individual person's memories, being replayed and catalogued inside some titanic AI lattice within the probe. One of those people is Giorgio Moroder.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much same here. That description is bang on the money. I've gone full circle and bored myself with this album now. Time for a rest.

You know that 8bit medley of all the songs? It's made be believe that the live set could be amazing if they really tone down all the funk stuff, there are so many amazing melodies on this latest album.