Daft Punk Thread...

I did love those ridiculous mini-documentaries that were used to promote RAM. They (obviously) also had the whole "invented everything ever" but somehow ended up as pro-robotics propaganda. Especially the Pharrell one, who I'm still not entirely convinced knows that they're not robots.

4 hours ago, englishbob said:

Watched that the other week when it was on. I agree, someone locked Daft Punk in as the creator of everything ever. When in reality Human After All was horrible (alright live though) and RAM, despite 4 years in the making, can now sound like a pretty dull listen.

I suppose for that type of dance music, it did start something off in the States. But in Europe, nah. They got lucky in the States.

Yeah, the Alive tour sounded like it was amazing and it probably was the way into dance music for loads of people, but they were talking about it as if Daft Punk had invented the idea of having a live show with loads of flashing lights and video screens. There was a similar bit earlier on in the programme, where someone was wittering on about Discovery’s innovative use of vocodered / processed vocals, when that shit was all over the charts in the late nineties and early noughties.

Other stuff: they talked about Daft Punk’s business acumen and canny negotiations on their record contract, but didn’t mention that Thomas Bangalter’s dad was a famous record producer, who presumably gave them a bit of advice in terms of music industry politics.

It was good on the whole though, especially the early stuff. That footage of the rave in the Pompidou Centre was fantastic, and Michel Gondry talking through the video to Around the World was really interesting. They needed more of that, rather than excitable US music journalists claiming that Daft Punk at Coachella was ground zero for music because they had a pyramid on stage, while being seemingly unaware that they were in the actual country that invented dance music twenty years previously.

Just watched this. The best thing about it other than the early rave footage and their blistering early techno records was the fact Pharrell now appears to be dressing like my great grandmother.

Good on them for coming up with the robots. Now going to listen to their early stuff again during the week.

I just watched this, thanks for the tip. I don't think Daft Punk have ever been revolutionary in terms of their musical output, but rather it's the quality of their production/song writing and their ability to market themselves that has made them as famous as they are now. Mind you, that's not taking anything away from their music. I'm struggling to think of any better mid 90s house/techno, especially in album format. I'd argue that they haven't even made any house or techno post Homework. Discovery has its moments but it's pop music at heart. I was listening to that album today and it has an almost timeless sound to it. I can't find anything positive to say about Human After All, but RAM is decent. Great songs and production once again, with plenty of those little special moments throughout. 

• 4 years later...

Oh man, that is genuinely incredibly sad news. Knowing those two school chums were still knocking about making music together was a nice little thought tucked away in my mind somewhere. Hope they're not mad at each other, that would be too much to bare at the moment. 

Here's  a nice article about why Random Access Memories is a later-era yacht rock masterpiece. 

Gutted. I was hoping that the often rumoured Tron sequel sequel would see these guys on soundtrack duties again

I wonder how they’ll make appearances when promoting their solo work. Are the helmets a genuine thing of the past for them?

Don't lament the breakup too hard today because you didn't see them live, they'll be back in 10 years with a multi-million price tag and will be performing at a concert hall near you, probably a lot sooner than if they were working on new material or had stayed together.

I like Daft Punk but was never a mega fan, wasn't too fussed by either the Tron album or Random Access Memories. Was talking to a few friends and was surprised to hear they prefer RAM.

What's everyone else's opinions? What's the better album, Discovery or Random Access Memories?

I thought Random Access Memories felt more like a Nile Rogers album than a true Daft Punk one at times.

It does have some great tracks and is beautifully produced but it's not my favourite.

Mind you, my favourite is the Tron:Legacy soundtrack so what do I know. All I do know is they helped to shape dance music and will be missed.

1 hour ago, stephen129 said:

I like Daft Punk but was never a mega fan, wasn't too fussed by either the Tron album or Random Access Memories. Was talking to a few friends and was surprised to hear they prefer RAM.

What's everyone else's opinions? What's the better album, Discovery or Random Access Memories?

RAM for sure. I know Discovery is really popular, and it’s grown on me, but for me it was a disappointment after Homework. 

I adore all 4 albums.

Homework - underground techno became pop & set a bar people are still trying to hit

Discovery - exploring the limits of pop & sampling but never forgetting it’s homework roots & their influences as seen by the vocalists being Todd & Romanthony

Human After All - tearing up the rule book, misunderstood at the time but paved the way for acts like justice & soulwax.

RAM - full circle, an utter love letter to their influences & instead of sampling they created what they would’ve sampled with utter dedication to the craft of those records, the process, the studios the recording technicians, the players. Sonically the best record in years.

a pretty flawless discog imho

16 hours ago, cubik said:

Gutted. I was hoping that the often rumoured Tron sequel sequel would see these guys on soundtrack duties again

I wonder how they’ll make appearances when promoting their solo work. Are the helmets a genuine thing of the past for them?

I wonder what prompted it now? Seems weird to announce it after years of seemingly doing bugger all anyway, instead of just maintaining the status with the possibility they might do something again sometime. Perhaps they’d been working on something and realised the spark had gone.

Random Access Memories never truly gelled with me, although it had its moments. For me it was all about Homework, their first record. It’s hard now all these years later to elucidate on just how much of an impression they made on me back then - I was already into dance music, and hip hop, rock, everything really, but there was something about the sound of it, the minimalism, the rawness, they sounded like The Velvet Underground of dance music. Even now when I (frequently) listen to their Alive 97 album I’m shocked at how direct and impactful it sounds. I mean something like Rollin’ & Scratchin’ is just so extreme, there is nothing quite like it at all. 

Of course Discovery really saw them invent a sound, those filtered disco loops, that just got copied by everyone. I loved that album at the time but it’s not one I’d choose to listen to now. 

Human After All I loved straight away and still do, it sounded like they knocked it out in one afternoon and was all the better for that, it wasn’t fussy or complex, but it doesn’t lack depth or nuance either. It is the most punk of all the Daft Punk records and I still think it sounds fresh today. 

But seriously I’d urge anyone who hasn’t heard to it to seek out Alive 97 and just experience the sheer electricity being mainlined into your veins. 

HumanAfterAll, I was so disappointed by it at the time and it wasn't until I heard it in live sets that I grew really fond of it.

I'm sad they are gone, I've always tried to find similar music to the first two albums especially. I'll go on the Spotify related artists and whilst there are imitations that sound similar there is nothing that feels similar. 

17 hours ago, MrPogo said:

I wonder what prompted it now? Seems weird to announce it after years of seemingly doing bugger all anyway, instead of just maintaining the status with the possibility they might do something again sometime. Perhaps they’d been working on something and realised the spark had gone.

Health concerns, specifically degenerating hearing loss, is what I've heard people say elsewhere.

On 14/04/2013 at 11:15, ZOK said:

I must be the only person that is completely underwhelmed by this, then. It's not a bad tune by any means, but it's not even as good as some of Pharrel's own tracks. The Nile Rodgers groove is the highlite, but so what? You can go on iTunes right now and buy all the Rodgers Edwards original versions of the Diana album for less than the price of a couple of pints, and they piss all over this track, of course.

The Daft Punk element just sounds exactly the same as what they always do on every tune. I really do not get the excitement.

I always sniff out the truth!

I think Random Access Memories is an album to admire rather than love. Like, it sounds like it cost the GDP of a small European country to make and is flawless in that respect, but it's very polite. Whereas their best work is like a pie-eyed, close talking shirtless raver with an arm around your shoulder thrusting their sweaty cut-offs at you. I think in trying to emulate that late seventies West Coast studio production environment, it fell into the same trap a lot of that music also suffered from, in that you almost polish out the interest. Like Donald Fagen solo work – it's hitting the same notes as before, but it's just not as vital or good.

You know when you see those Picasso sketchbooks and it's like four strokes of ink of an abstract set of knockers, but it's the most amazing thing you've ever seen? That's Human After All. RAM is like a massive renaissance mural stretched across a wall with every square inch sweated over. I think they got a bit lost in the process when some of those central ideas weren't that strong. I mean, you could probably do a wicked version of Hound Dog with a guitar and a biscuit tin, but having the The LSO perform Eiffel 65 won't make it good, you know?