Has anyone bought a full 360 game on Live?

Thread Owner

I agree. If by RRP you mean £40. I'll probably pay that in town for Bayonetta anyway and would be happy to do so and save myself a trip etc. But it's a bit different for a new release isn't it?

It's no different to buying MS points directly on the console or buying them online really. Some people are happy to pay £15 for Crackdown when you can get it new for less than a tenner online.

If you pay with microsoft points instead of credit/debit card, it works out closer to £15 per game. Obviously, it depends where you get your points card from.

Can you buy region free games from the US store with a PAL 360? I have loads of points on my US account and the games are cheaper

Am I the only one who would miss the actual physical product if digital distribution took hold. I'd miss the box, the box art and the instruction manuals etc. I know most instruction manuals are nothing more than thoraway effort these days but I think thats a shame.

Am I the only one who would miss the actual physical product if digital distribution took hold. I'd miss the box, the box art and the instruction manuals etc. I know most instruction manuals are nothing more than thoraway effort these days but I think thats a shame.

Superfluous tat, all of it. I'll be glad to see the back of it all.

Can you buy region free games from the US store with a PAL 360? I have loads of points on my US account and the games are cheaper

Yes, you can (using a US gamertag), but you need to use a US VPN to circumvent the IP check at the start/end of the download. You can buy a months worth of world-wide IPs for about $10 from various VPN providers.

A standard DVD case, some usually terrible art and a single page telling you to got to the website? I think you're about five years too late. Games don't need manuals nowadays because they have the whole "teaching people how to play them while playing them" down to a fine art nowadays.

But... but.. but.. what about "new game smell"?

And yeah, that's what I meant about Instruction Booklets being throwaway efforts these days. I miss the full colour, full of art work and extra tid-bits Instruction Manuals of yore.

The buzz of the "new game smell" will be replaced by the buzz of the "My download is 55% complete in 10 minutes yaldee"

I bought FightNight3 and can't say I regret it - only ever play it occasionally with a mate so having it sitting on the HDD means I can just click through a couple of menus or accept an invite and it's on - sweet.

If they started putting new releases up at RRP I don't think there can be many people that wouldn't take that option over going to the shops except the trade-in crowd.

It's really only the cost that's putting me off. I know I can just grab the game in town for cheaper, so I'm more inclined to do that.

On the downside I'm left with a physical copy which I'd much rather do without. I've already got far too much stuff built up over the years and can't wait for mainstream media to start going for download as a primary outlet, just to keep down on the totally unnecessary physical products. I've got games, movies and albums that all exist as data first, packaging third.

Second place is my memories. Aw!

I bought FightNight3 and can't say I regret it - only ever play it occasionally with a mate so having it sitting on the HDD means I can just click through a couple of menus or accept an invite and it's on - sweet.

That there is a great reason for having the game in a fully digital form. The number of times I've received an ad hoc invite, fucked about with discs, pressed "Join", waited for it to load, and then got "The game has already started" is quite annoying.

But back to the question at hand, I'd gladly buy new releases for about 30 quid (not 40), or old games for a tenner or less, but as stated by many others, the current situation is a joke.

I lost my TDU and really fancied having it on the Hard drive. It's steep at £20, and yet I felt the install was worth it.

Then I jumped onto the online trading and got 2 McClaren F1s for something like $30,000 a pop. I think someone sent me a message afterwards saying there were for a mate. Haha!

I love the game that much the £20 is worth it to have it always available + not have to find a second hand copy.

• 1 month later...

They have to do something about the pricing soon. I am loving Mass Effect 2 but have never played the original and wanted to give it a try. I thought I'd check GoD and it's on there but £20? I am lazy but not that lazy. Are there sales figures available for Games on Demand as I'd be very interested to see them.

I was really hoping they might start putting up exclusive titles from other regions that don't get a western publisher, niche stuff like Japanese shoot-em ups.

Would surely be a much cheaper way to get them sold over here. They'd just need to get them age rated which would involve minimal costs to the publisher over there and net them some extra sales...

I'd go with the middle ground and accept 14.99

I would have probably paid that for ME. It's the same price I could get a new physical version for but I have the convenience of being able to get it there and then. But that is for a game that I really want. If they want people to take a chance on a title, they need to get it down to £9.99.

I haven't bought full games, as I don't find it practical at the moment. It costs more money than a physical copy, the games are too old and they eat up a lot of (limited and expensive) HDD space. With physical copies I at least have the choice of installing them on the HDD or removing them or putting them on eBay when I'm through with them. So the download copy is a bad alternative in pretty much all ways except that it's nice to have games on your HDD all the time.

I'd be a lot more interested if download games would be (very) competitively priced and 500GB+ Xbox HDDs were available for a decent price. As long as that isn't the case I'll be buying discs.

I would have probably paid that for ME. It's the same price I could get a new physical version for but I have the convenience of being able to get it there and then. But that is for a game that I really want. If they want people to take a chance on a title, they need to get it down to £9.99.

Although not quite because when the 120gb drive costs about £80, you need to add on £5 for the price of the disk space it's taking up. With Mass Effect 2 that would be a full £12.

They need to reduce the games or reduce storage to sensible prices. Either would work.