IGNORED

xfm's top 1000 of all time

Oh Danny Boy

In their list of the best songs of all-time, across any genre, the entire field of music was open to them, in all it's power, beauty and glory. Taking this into account they chose:

5 Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire

4 Muse - Knights Of Cydonia

3 Oasis - Live Forever

2 Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor

1 The Killers - Mr Brightside

Even NME could do better than that. Jesus fuck.

Out of the top ten, Love Will Tear Us Apart possibly deserves to be there. When people said the list was bad I expected it to be the usual reactionary sort of "what crack were they on?" but this list truly is fucking abominable.

Out of the top ten, Love Will Tear Us Apart possibly deserves to be there. When people said the list was bad I expected it to be the usual reactionary sort of "what crack were they on?" but this list truly is fucking abominable.

It deserves a place in top fifty, maybe not quite that high.

But specifics like that are trivial in the face of the problems with that list

In their list of the best songs of all-time, across any genre, the entire field of music was open to them, in all it's power, beauty and glory.

I know these lists are designed to inspire debate and all that but I have to say I agree. It's like they've been locked into a branch of HMV in a small market town and this is all the music they know.

Imagine a radio station that played EVERYTHING - you never knew what was coming next, rather like John Peel's show except broader. Okay so it wouldn't get any advertisers, you could end up hearing stuff you hated all day. But crikey I'd listen to it. If I was at work and they played some Lightning Bolt or Matching Mole or ... oh I don't know, it would make my day. Nah, scratch that, it's an awful idea.

I propose they rename it "xfm's Top 1000 Songs That Our Target Demographic Would Probably Like To Hear Given They Generally Don't Know Any Better Or At Least Don't Give A Damn Because They Only Have It On At Work Or In The Car Anyway", but maybe that's a little too long-winded?

XFM's pretty good when Clint Boon and, especially, John Kennedy, take over. The former has no choice but to shove some of the obvious hits in but he always has an eye out for things a bit different. The latter seems like he'd fit in more on radio 6 for what he does.

That list is banal in the extreme. What's the difference between the 990th and 980th song? The numbers mean nothing. I heard it around the 870 segment last week and just wondered how the fuck they could manage to place the last Kings of Leon single, off their shittest album by far, into any sort of chart.

5 Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire

4 Muse - Knights Of Cydonia

3 Oasis - Live Forever

2 Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor

1 The Killers - Mr Brightside

Hey XFM, I'mma let you finish and all, but this is supposed to be the greatest music singles of all time ... OF ALL TIME!