IGNORED

RPL Town - Season 8!

Tomox

Taking about the Fifa "luck" thing in Athletic thread and I think Luck is the wrong word but I do think there are stats and momentum at play which make a huge difference to the team and players so think that would work when you are flying high just fall flat when you are down and out.

However I do think this is something we can control and would suggest that if we ever get a game like the first one yesterday that we do everything we can to keep position and regain control of the game. We should be looking for super simple passing with the least risk possible, even if it means we don't get near their goal, at least for a minute or two until we get our rhythm back. Maybe something to work on in practice.

Yeah, I think that's the key. They scored with their first attack on 4 mins. For the rest of the half we just weren't at the races and ended up (iirc) 3-0 down at the half. It's a vicious cycle, because we drop deeper because we don't have the ball but then when we get it we play it too quickly there's no support and we lose it again very quickly. You can't seem to get out of the rut, passes are crap, headers are weak...

They weren't the best games to be honest. Though some of our goals came from neat passing of the ball. And two from Joffy crosses if I remember?

Encouraging that we managed a decent win over a side who raped us first week of the season, and we only had 8 men on the pitch

Yeah, I think that's the key. They scored with their first attack on 4 mins. For the rest of the half we just weren't at the races and ended up (iirc) 3-0 down at the half. It's a vicious cycle, because we drop deeper because we don't have the ball but then when we get it we play it too quickly there's no support and we lose it again very quickly. You can't seem to get out of the rut, passes are crap, headers are weak...

it took us 3 attempts to score though lmao. I missed 2 awesome opportunities before sean finally managed to score lol

Two things are key really:

1) Calm defending and trying, if possible, to pass it out. Obviously you just clear if you are being closed but ideally you want to be looking for a pass out to the midfield (who should be making themselves available). This stops the ball being booted out to their back line only to be thrown straight back into the mixer our end and stops us being put under constant pressure.

2) we need to play the low risk game in midfield, look for the easiest pass possible and make yourself available when not on the ball. This is very tricky to do, especially when the opposition are baring down and you don't gave a lot of time no the ball, but even 10 seconds of calm passing and composure on the ball can make a real different. Basically look for the pass as soon as you receive the ball and look for the safest route possible even if that is a pass back. Ideally you want to keep the opposition as far away from the ball as possible which will have the added benefit of tiring them as they chance it.

If we can work on those two things then I think it will make a huge difference to our game.

I'm not sure we can keep Joffy at LB to be honest. It was lucky that it worked for us last night. If they would have just switched the play a bit more we wouldn't have had a chance in that second game.

With my 'attacking' mind, I wouldnt mind a run out in midfield to see how that goes?

Man of the Match awards v Athletic

Game 1 - No one

Four people were tied for votes, and to be honest I don't think there was a single stand-out performance.

Game 2 - Tomox

4 goals, what more can you ask for? A little surprised that Joffy didn't get a mention with 2 assists and a goal! But my personal man of the match was Tobert. Very strong at the back in the second game, and his advice to go with 2 Anys was spot on.

Well played again lads. The games were a bit weird really, but I would have taken a win each before the games so can't complain. I'm not around at all next week so Tobes is going to be in charge.

Cheers for the votes guys. Felt things really linked well in the second game up top.

For those who havnt seen it....

Not sure if this quite fits but I was on the Tube once with my recently married mates and I asked to look at his wedding ring as they had it specially designed. After inspecting said ring I went to hand it back but had, what can only be described as, a "spazzy hands" moment and dropped the ring on the floor of the tube. It then proceeded to roll several feet down the carrage, vered off to the left and hit the door. Rather than stopping it then rolled along the door and slipped through the cap between the door and the side of the train (which was about 1mm wider than the rin) and dropped onto the tracks. I ran over to try and fish it out to no avail it was not lost somewhere between Oxford Circus and Tottenham court road so had to sit with them for the rest of the jouney with his wife in tears and him looking like he was going to lamp me :P

Oh also there was the time my work mates convinced me I needed to have injections for a holiday I was going on the very next day, I only realized it was a windup when I spoke to the lady at the doctors surgery after ringing the emergengy help time requesting a last minute appointment. I was going to Tenerife... :D

I was the best man at my mates wedding last year and they arranged a meal for everyone the night before the big event. It was at this lovely pub in the country which served this great pork chop. I was sat with the family of the bride and talked about how the pigs are reared locally and expounded the virtues of this lovely pork for a good 5 minutes completely forgetting that they were infact all Jewish :D

Oh Tobes...

Hi lads,

I was going to keep this quiet, but I think I'll be stepping aside at the end of the season to let someone else have a go at management. Not sure I can commit to practice and match days for next season at the moment, so it's probably best.

I've already had one person come forward about taking over from next season, but if anyone else is interested then let me know and we'll put it to a vote.

I'm still going to be the boss until the end of the season, and we've still got loads to play for. Sorry I won't be around this week, but do me proud!

Hi lads,

I was going to keep this quiet, but I think I'll be stepping aside at the end of the season to let someone else have a go at management. Not sure I can commit to practice and match days for next season at the moment, so it's probably best.

I've already had one person come forward about taking over from next season, but if anyone else is interested then let me know and we'll put it to a vote.

I'm still going to be the boss until the end of the season, and we've still got loads to play for. Sorry I won't be around this week, but do me proud!

I do have more free time after leaving 1v1 and my admin duties (and other odds and ends changing)

I could go for a Bradigor style swoop back?!

Sorry to hear you might not carry on sladie, I think you have done a bang up job so far and it will be a shame if you stand down. I understand the time commitments are quite demanding especially around arranging both the practice matches and match night, maybe next season we need to look at promoting the "team captain" role so they are responsible for practice (i.e sorting it out and leading everyone out on the night)?

I do have more free time after leaving 1v1 and my admin duties (and other odds and ends changing)

I could go for a Bradigor style swoop back?!

Maybe worth a quick read first :quote:

SuccessThroughAPositiveMentalAttitude.jpg

Cheers guys. You are right Tobes, I think we've had a few more leaders recently that has helped turn things around. It's a bit of a cliche, but we need 10 captains really...

Well I think I can be open and say that Pants has already expressed an interest to me in taking over. If anyone else would like to put there name into the hat then they should feel free and we can have a player vote.

Yep, it's true boys, I've declared an interest in taking up the reigns.

I've got some ideas for next season, but it would essentially be just building on the work Sladie's done already. So expect more of the same, but with hundreds and hundreds of MS Paint drawings covered in arrows.

ok so will be on from 10pm tonight, we will be playing Rovers from 10:15.

Assuming some of you may be on GTA I am just going to round up who ever is on at 10pm and start a game rather than fanny about waiting for people. We can then roll in new players as we go.

United tomorrow night Fella's so we need to be tight at the back and doing our usual sexy thing up front, would be good to get as many as possible on tonight to get a couple of practice games in.

Yeah, I'll be there tomorrow. Sorry again about last week; I rushed to get home from another engagement, got through the door at 9:59pm only to find that my connection was fucked. Apologies also for not making it to most of the practice sessions this season; things are pretty hectic around here at the moment so I only have limited gaming time. Hopefully I'll be able to chip in a bit more next season if whichever of our new overlords chooses to keep me on.