IGNORED

RPL Town - Season 8!

Tomox

ok so looks like we are all set for tonight with Heretic taking matties slot.

We have a tough game tonight against the league leaders United who we know are a well polished outfit but, if we keep things tight and play our football, then we have no reason to fear them. They guys up front have been in superb form so looking for you to keep that up, playing the simple balls, finding pace and taking every chance you get to shoot on goal.

We have a slightly reworked midfield but Dave has shown he has what it takes in the CAM role and Heretic has lots of experience as a CB so am sure he will know how to protect the back line. Pants we are looking for you to work the wide players, disrupting their play, linking up with the midfield and delivering your excellent crossing.

Back line, we need to have our wits about us tonight, we need to make sure we keep it tight, don't all dive for the ball but cover our space/man and make sure we don't give anything away. Joffy - I don't mind if you support the forward play occasionally but we need you to stay back as much as possible to muck it with the defensive duties.

Lets do this!

_46351723_netherlands-players_766.jpg

Not sure what have two any's will bring to this situation as there is only 3 players, it think it could add confusion where as one any has two players on opposite sides of the pitch and human controlled CDM and CAMto pass to. Happy to be proved otherwise if Dave and Pants prefer to play as two any's

I will try to be on before 10pm but if not then tomox can you lead any early birds out for practise.

Heretic - can you send me a friends request when you get on, thanks :)

Hey, are we allowed one more ringer tonight? Only that guy I was talking about might be on.

Or is it a case of Heretic getting to play as he's our Mattie replacement for the rest of the season?

Also, Welcome Heretic! A mighty fine addition to the squad!

Also, I'll be jumping on now so if anyone's up for some early practice, give us a shout.

Blimey, not been on the forum for a couple of days and I've got 11 PMs!!!

good luck tonight lads. Thinking of you !!!

Everyone else on my course has gone to bed so I'm sat in the bar by myself right now...wish I was on bap.

Blimey, not been on the forum for a couple of days and I've got 11 PMs!!!

good luck tonight lads. Thinking of you !!!

Everyone else on my course has gone to bed so I'm sat in the bar by myself right now...wish I was on bap.

We did you proud sladie with a cracking own goal.

Seriously though we were outplayed in the first game, we didn't play badly per se but they scored some corkers.

Second game will be dominated by that which is a shame as I thought we played really well as a team, we rode our luck a couple of times but generally we defended well, really got into them in the midfield and made some good chances up front. Even joffy managed to stay back (well for the first 10 minutes at least)

It seems wrong to celebrate a win based on an own goal but there is a lot we can take from that match, not least that we were equal to the best team in the league, it goes to show we are as good as anyone out there and, if we can keep the focus, can match the best.

Another mixed night but on the whole I have no complaints from our performance. The first game was tough but it was good to see that heads didn't drop when we went down. Second game is going to be dominated by the own goal and its a slightly embarrassing way to win but that was early in the game and we stopped them from getting many chances for the remainder whilst nearly scoring a couple of our own.

I thought Dave was excellent last night in that second game and it telling that we concede a lot less when he is in the CMD role, that is not to take anything away from hertic who was excellent in both games (and stopped it being a landslide in the first game) but its just shows that he is a natural there.

To me it kind feels like we have a solid platform and more confidence in the team, we know our roles and have more belief so I think we really need to go for it in the remaining games of the season and go for the wins. I am also wondering if its worth trying out the formation United used with two CM/CDM's, two wide players and the two forwards:

-----Heretic----Dave-----

Pants-----------------Johnny

-------Tomox---Petey-----

Might not be worth rocking the boat at this stage but could suit our play a little better?

Also cann I have your Players Man of the Match votes by close of play today and I will announce some time tonight.

Thanks!

Another mixed night but on the whole I have no complaints from our performance. The first game was tough but it was good to see that heads didn't drop when we went down. Second game is going to be dominated by the own goal and its a slightly embarrassing way to win but that was early in the game and we stopped them from getting many chances for the remainder whilst nearly scoring a couple of our own.

I thought Dave was excellent last night in that second game and it telling that we concede a lot less when he is in the CMD role, that is not to take anything away from hertic who was excellent in both games (and stopped it being a landslide in the first game) but its just shows that he is a natural there.

To me it kind feels like we have a solid platform and more confidence in the team, we know our roles and have more belief so I think we really need to go for it in the remaining games of the season and go for the wins. I am also wondering if its worth trying out the formation United used with two CM/CDM's, two wide players and the two forwards:

-----Heretic----Dave-----

Pants-----------------Johnny

-------Tomox---Petey-----

Might not be worth rocking the boat at this stage but could suit our play a little better?

Also cann I have your Players Man of the Match votes by close of play today and I will announce some time tonight.

Thanks!

Match 1

No player stood out or mucked up. I put my hand up I was bullied off the pitch first game. Didn't realise they had two CDMs and by time I did it and figured it was better for me to drop off more it was 80 minutes gone and too late to make a difference. Horrible experince and was cringing everytime the ball came near me

Match 2

As my mesasage said I was soo keen to win this game. We deserved it and needed it and lo and behold we got it. By fair means or foul it counts. I do feel sorry for the other team. Easy to say when not on recieving end but that goal is a positive for FIFA not a negative, shit happens in real footie games and if that happened in FIFA every week then I would moan but the occassional random element is okay and makes it less of a game of pure maths. There are just too many random elements for some and also I am empathetic to it costing a team a match.

On the positive at least the own goal was to the keeper and not a player.

To which my man of the match has to be Eduardo - without that goal it would be a miserable week next week. Eduardo we salute you.

Also just recall the second game was full of some amazing last ditch/game saving tackles. Not to patronise as I know defence is a tough role in fifa but in my head I remeber Joffy making a few, Johnny as well, Billy and some one who did the best slide tackle without injuring someone I have seen, if the other player had been injured it would have been best ever. Tobert really played the managers role, firm but fair.

Obvious props to the rest of the team but attacking is a bit of a mystery as you know so I never know if you did good or bad.

post-16788-1268394778.jpg

:)

The difference in last nights games was pretty vast. The first, we were outplayed, pure and simple. Some great crossing and finishing from them. We came into the game in the second half. It felt very light up top, every time me or Petey got the ball, we had few options.

The changes for the second game worked really well. Dave was again supreme at CDM. He was everywhere and made countless tackles. The back four behind Dave were also brilliant. We seemed to have a lot more time and space up top. I imagine it was because they were pushing forward a bit more for goals (especially after the OG.) Alas, we didn't create as much as we did against Athletic and Rovers in the practise, but I think Utds defence was the best we've faced this season.

Hopefully we can get lots on for some practise on Wednesday eve (or another evening? :() I think things will really start clicking when we get the full 10 out on the pitch!

Out forward did seem a little isolated last night but generally tried to hold up the ball and make the simple pass. At that level its really comes down to the finding the smallest amount of space, making the run and communicating which is something we could do better. You really want to be in constant dialogue when you have the ball up front, letting each other know when you are making a run and where you want it. Its something the best teams do and you notice it when you watch the highlights.

Its something city were very good at last season; they would hold the ball up just outside the box, someone would make a run, drag a defender and create a little space, receive the ball and then make a simple 1-2 back into the space and get the tap in. Its something which is tricky to do but its basically its need a good understanding between the players which requires knowing how they play, a calm head and lots communication.

This is not critasism by the way, I think we have been excellent going forward, but about refining our game so we can beat the best.

Double post so here is a picture of a monkey on a bicycle.

post-16788-1268394778.jpg

Can I just say Dave will win the "funny pictures in the thread" award at the end of season hands down. It can go with his midfield MVP award if his current form at CDM continues :)

I'm not sure I like the two CDMs idea, really. Dave did really well in that second game, and as soon as I was told to get forward, I did much more in terms of both attacking, and getting the ball back early, than when I was told to sit back a bit. It felt like home.

Add onto the fact that the defence were good in that second match, and our whole 'get it to the middle, then spread it wide ASAP' thing didn't really work, is it right to try to add more to the defence, while inadvertently falling to the tactic that didn't give us much joy?