IGNORED

RPL Town - Season 8!

Tomox

Cracking last 10 minutes there, we took the lead and ran with it.

Sorry for the slight Tobby rage rant in the middle, it just seemed like we had lost our heads up front a little, forgot the basics and where all chasing the ball in frustration, once it clicked we hit back in style.

Well played lads, and great final 10 minutes. I'm almost embarressed that we won both of those games, certainly not at our best tonight. Still at the start of the season we were playing well and losing, and now we are playing poorly and winning. A good habit. Tonight was one for the defense. Awesome. Billy, tobes and dave were amazing over both games. Great come back, and some good team spirit in the end

MotM nods to me by lunch tomorrow please.

I'm not seeing the 'awesome' defense, to be fair. We were gash as a team tonight, no-one played well in game 2. Nothing clicked. Their goal was pretty poor as people ran past the cut back pass.

We got away with two wins, maybe it was the luck we didn't have early season. Dave seemed to be everywhere in the second game, and Petey played a blinder.

The defense was quality. Conceding 1 goal over two BAP games is giving just about every chance to get something from the games. I don't remember them having a string of great chances in either game. Obviously we were supposed to keep two clean sheets!!!!

Granted, going from 8 to 1 in a week isnt too bad. But as previously mentioned, we were all shite. Two lucky goals stole us the game.

We'll need to be a lot better next week. Otherwise new ones will be torn. (And City will win another title)

No, the defense was quality in the second game. It's very difficult to defend when the midfield and attack keep giving the ball away. But good defending kept us in the game so that when we got our chance we were in a position to take it.

I'm not seeing the 'awesome' defense, to be fair. We were gash as a team tonight, no-one played well in game 2. Nothing clicked. Their goal was pretty poor as people ran past the cut back pass.

We got away with two wins, maybe it was the luck we didn't have early season. Dave seemed to be everywhere in the second game, and Petey played a blinder.

See now how does a post like that help in any constructive way? Admittedly I did not have the best game but we conceded one goaland won both but somehow we have turned it into a negative. :)

Everyone knows the ratings mean fuck all on this game. I got a 10 and was rubbish.

I'm not meaning to make you boys cry, there is just improvement to be made :)

(Was the defence good because there was a LB for game 2?!)

I knew you were going to call the ratings bullshit. Ratings are harsh on defenders.

We defended well in both games. What specifically was so shite about how we defended?

I can't go through and pick things out, maybe it was different to how I would've played. I would love to be a decent defender, but I can never get myself in the right position at the back.

As highlighted by a few (last week, maybe week before?) We need to be a bit more urgent with our clearances. Nothing gelled in the final third tonight didn't help the ball coming back at you. That gave you more work to do than you shud've. They're goal was a bit disappointing as we could've cut it out. I think we need to play a touch deeper as we still seem to get caught by balls over the top and down the sides. I actually thought we defended a lot better in the first game (what I saw of it.) Everyone was making great tackles and interceptions. Impressive.

I'm really not sure what wasn't happening with the midfield/forwards tonight. When I was awaiting the second game I tried to figure out what was wrong. I *think* I was playing a bit deeper than normal to try and act as a link, didn't really seem to work, I tried to concentrate on playing 'on the last defender' in the second game, seemed to work a bit better than the first for me, but there was still something missing. Maybe we were all trying to play too many ambitious passes? Too many 'killer' balls? Everyone bangs on about it week on week, but simple passes really works. Our first, which I eventually bundled in, was a nice passing move to men in space.

Not having the full 10 tonight, didn't help us either. We didn't have the cover from the wings that we would've liked. But having any wingers is probably the only way to have an any when you have the 9.

Apolagies for upsetting you and Tobes, but I was personally pissed off at my performance. Also frustration as we've managed to score a lot in recent weeks, yet tonight, we could hardly string two passes together.

EDIT: Apolagies for my punctuation, I R Engineering student, you see :)

I'm not upset. I just think that when a defense only concedes 1 goal and limits the other team to a few chances they deserve some credit. Earlier in the season we would have lost tonight when things weren't going our way. That's a big improvement.

i wasn't upset about your comment but, as sladie says, to win both, concede one goal and then be called shit is not great. For that comment to then not be backed up by any constructive comments just makes it feel like a rant and takes the shine off what was a couple of good games for us.

however you are right, we need to step up next week for our games against city, they are on an unbeaten run and are now top of the league. we need to take something from them (ideally at least a win and a draw) but iseem to remember we gave them a good game last time and we have improved immensly since then. hopefully we can go out with a bag and give the next manager an extra 2 large to play with :)

38 points off Athletic so we would need to get something from the City games and Wanderers would have to do us a favour, big ask but not impossible!

Also we are 78 points off Rovers who are playing United next week, 2 wins, 2 clean sheets and at least 5 goals could see us steel 3 place!

Remember points mean Prizes!*

q-photo-bruce-forsyth-anthea-redfern-2.jpg

* I think the pressure is probably off :)

I don't really understand "be a bit more urgent with our clearances". This was mentioned after some practice games two weeks ago, but that's when we were deliberately trying to pass the ball around the back. What is the current consequence of the lack of urgency? Are we conceding possession? Giving up chances? Not taking advantage of counter-attacking opportunities? I'm happy to take comments on board, but I just don't get what you mean by this one.

I would agree about playing a touch deeper, btw. That is something that we have addressed to some extent by dropping back 10 yards from set pieces but still not perfect. And sometimes we are caught a bit flat footed, not tracking runners when there's no pressure on the ball.

Last night City played poorly, scraped a win and they are high fiving themselves in their thread. We did the same but we are picking over the bones of our performance. That was happening in the game as well last night. The moaning, the bitching, the complaining. The biggest improvement we could possibly make as a team is to get over the thought that this game hates us.

I don't really understand "be a bit more urgent with our clearances". This was mentioned after some practice games two weeks ago, but that's when we were deliberately trying to pass the ball around the back. What is the current consequence of the lack of urgency? Are we conceding possession? Giving up chances? Not taking advantage of counter-attacking opportunities? I'm happy to take comments on board, but I just don't get what you mean by this one.

I would agree about playing a touch deeper, btw. That is something that we have addressed to some extent by dropping back 10 yards from set pieces but still not perfect. And sometimes we are caught a bit flat footed, not tracking runners when there's no pressure on the ball.

Last night City played poorly, scraped a win and they are high fiving themselves in their thread. We did the same but we are picking over the bones of our performance. That was happening in the game as well last night. The moaning, the bitching, the complaining. The biggest improvement we could possibly make as a team is to get over the thought that this game hates us.

In an ideal world, you'd have the RM/LM and the CDM pressing the ball, and the back four dropping off. Hard last night due to the any.

I didn't hear that much moaning last night about the game. I mentioned how we didn't seem to be winning many second balls. Things aren't as bad as they have thing. I still think the pressure of going 4th made us play more direct and we weren't patient.

Regarding the clearances from the back I kinda agree with both of you, I think I can be a bit better at track runs but I have also been caught a couple of times when I receive the ball (normally chesting it down) only to have it nicked off of me. I really need to be hammering that clear button if being pressured. However if there is space then its better to get it under control and then pass out rather then hoofing it to there backline only to come back into the mix.

But anyway, we won, we only conceded on and we can back from 0-1 down to 3-1 in the last 15 minutes of play so I think we were awesome and showed some real strength to fight back and put the game away in a 10 minute turnaround.

Also does anyone thing joffy does a better job upfront when he plays as LB than CF?!?