IGNORED

RPL Town - Season 8!

Tomox

You've gotta try and keep everyone happy!

Next week, i want to try this....

-------CB--CB--CB--------

--------CDM-CDM---------

RM--------CAM--------LM

-------ST-------ST--------

Pants will tell you all about this formation as we played it in our penultimate game of the season against City - To give you a clue it starts with 10 and ends with nil

I think we played some beautiful football in those games. The one we lost got a bit ugly but even that could have gone either way and the discussion afterwards was a big bonus for a few handy tips.

My only insight was with the two CDM it allowed one to venture forward whilst the other covered. My Essien to Tobert's Lampard. Whether this is better than 4-3-3 I am not sure, we scored plenty of goals with that, and if we get the runs right, is pretty deadly.

All the other useful stuff mentioned by other put us in good stead.

Looking forward to this season - whatever happens, it is gonna be fun :)

Well played last night chaps. Definitely a positive run out, and some good lessons for the league games. Defensively we looked decent aside from a few individual errors, but now is the time of the season to be getting those out of the way. AI Full Backs is not a good idea. The Any has to be in midfield. I know that will mean that someone else will have to drop back into the back 4 and those aren't the most popular positions! But hopefully we'll have a full turn out most weeks.

Couple of observations:

- We are too close to each other up top, but I think that will improve with time. But it might help if we have some tactics like 'you drift around to the flanks', 'you stick on the shoulder of the last defender', etc.

- We got into some great positions on the wings with a lot of space and just tossed the ball into the box. I think that if you've got the time, we should be cutting in and driving into the box. If someone pulls back to the edge of the box in this situation then the winger has a simple ball and it creates a better chance then a far post cross.

- When we get it down and play it simple we are sexy.

Good points there sladie, I think you are right about not always throwing a ball in to the mixer and this is something I noticed city did well last season. Ideally you want to either cut inside or ping a simple ball to an inside play, you are then looking for one of the forward to make a run into space and take the shot. Crosses still have a place but I think we could vary it a little more.

The game with City last night highlighted what happens when the pressure increases and everyone is desperate to get to the ball and try and do something, you end up bunching and losing shape which ultimately makes creating chances more difficult and leaves gaps for the other team to exploit. It takes a lot of discipline to remain calm and composed when the clock is ticking down, but not trying to win the ball all the time, playing your position, drag the opposition players out of there will give you a better chance than trying to chase the game.

Like everything I think its about composure and confidence on the ball, hopefully if we can lock the formation/personnel down then we can only get better at learning our role and how other people play which will mean we play better as a team

Just got round to actually typing something in here....!

Great stuff last night guys. First game we looked really solid, great passing and movement. Petey did a excellent job with the two AI fullbacks. The guys at CB were stunning. Tobes and Dave had great games. I love having Dave at CDM, he always ends up in the right place! Pants I thought was the man of the night, always offering an option on the left, always enthusiastic and chatty. Joffy and Hummy did well upfront. The second game we had a bit of bad luck and a lack of something in the final third. We seemed to be very crowded up top (as others have mentioned). Oddly I think less could be more, and I have a vaigue idea we can try on Wednesday to hopefully tackle that.

When we switched to the 4-5-1 in the game against Wanderers, I thought it served us really well. I want to try that again, with one slight tweek.

RB - RCB - LCB - LB

---------CDM---------

RM-------CM-------LM

---------CAM----------

----------ST-----------

That is essentially how we were playing last night, with Dave dropping off and Tobert running on. We'll give this a try on Wednesday and see whats what. I cant imagine it being that different to the 4-5-1 we played last night...!

But overall, great stuff guys, AND we can still improve!

Great stuff last night guys. First game we looked really solid, great passing and movement. Petey did a excellent job with the two AI fullbacks. The guys at CB were stunning. Tobes and Dave had great games. I love having Dave at CDM, he always ends up in the right place! Pants I thought was the man of the night, always offering an option on the left, always enthusiastic and chatty. Joffy and Hummy did well upfront. The second game we had a bit of bad luck and a lack of something in the final third. We seemed to be very crowded up top (as others have mentioned). Oddly I think less could be more, and I have a vaigue idea we can try on Wednesday to hopefully tackle that.

When we switched to the 4-5-1 in the game against Wanderers, I thought it served us really well. I want to try that again, with one slight tweek.

RB - RCB - LCB - LB

---------CDM---------

RM-------CM-------LM

---------CAM----------

----------ST-----------

That is essentially how we were playing last night, with Dave dropping off and Tobert running on. We'll give this a try on Wednesday and see whats what. I cant imagine it being that different to the 4-5-1 we played last night...!

But overall, great stuff guys, AND we can still improve!

Agreed - everyone looked awesome in stages. I haven't really played for any other BAP team but I can't see it being better than this. The other lot must be proper jealous of our great love in ;-)

Great stuff last night guys. First game we looked really solid, great passing and movement. Petey did a excellent job with the two AI fullbacks. The guys at CB were stunning. Tobes and Dave had great games. I love having Dave at CDM, he always ends up in the right place! Pants I thought was the man of the night, always offering an option on the left, always enthusiastic and chatty. Joffy and Hummy did well upfront. The second game we had a bit of bad luck and a lack of something in the final third. We seemed to be very crowded up top (as others have mentioned).

Agreed 100%. Especially the bit about me. :omg: But especially the bit about Dave and Tobes.

So the bit about us being very crowded up top was the main stumbling from last night. That was the cause of our lack of creativity in the final third, meaning people were resorting to difficult through balls rather than short passes, and trying to run it and consequently losing possession. And I think it was because the three top man were all trying to play as a CF through the middle, like this:

Bunched.jpg

Instead, if they drop wider, they will open up the defence and mean the short pass option is always on so the CF can drop off, recieve the ball and spread it. like this:

shortpasses.jpg

From there it can be crossed, or pushed back inside, or little ball into the near post, or pass to the top of the are for a shot, or dropped back to the RM/LM who'd be cutting inside... you get the point.

But well played everyone. It was great football at times last night. When it worked it was such a joy to play in.

Just to chip in on the Town Love in, I thought that, outside of the on pitch performance, the banter was really good last night. Sometimes you can play in teams which are very quiet or perhaps a little negative but it was a good laugh.

Agreed 100%. Especially the bit about me. :D But especially the bit about Dave and Tobes.

So the bit about us being very crowded up top was the main stumbling from last night. That was the cause of our lack of creativity in the final third, meaning people were resorting to difficult through balls rather than short passes, and trying to run it and consequently losing possession. And I think it was because the three top man were all trying to play as a CF through the middle, like this:

Bunched.jpg

Instead, if they drop wider, they will open up the defence and mean the short pass option is always on so the CF can drop off, recieve the ball and spread it. like this:

shortpasses.jpg

From there it can be crossed, or pushed back inside, or little ball into the near post, or pass to the top of the are for a shot, or dropped back to the RM/LM who'd be cutting inside... you get the point.

But well played everyone. It was great football at times last night. When it worked it was such a joy to play in.

Great diagrams there Pants :omg: I think some good point and some of that will come from playing together more, I certainly thought Tomox was central to come of our best moves up front.

Nice diagrams Pants - you are spot on.

shows up nicely what I saying after the second match. If the LS/RS make the runs that you've highlighted then there's a good chance the CB will at least be distracted by the run or at best go with them. If they do that then it's a simple pass from CM to CF and they would be clean through. Simple movement creates space for others, basically.

With 3 up top you might want to mix it up, one drop deeper, etc. But I think the CF should be playing on the shoulder of the last defender pretty much the whole time.

I've stolen this idea from Wincho....

After every match can you all pm me you 'man of the match' for both games we play on that evening. I can then have a players player of the season.

Also, would anyone fancy doing match reports week on week? They don't have to be huge, just a few lines recording what happened?

wed praccy with rovers v town can be a permanent fixture if you like tomox, we should always have a few on.

Nice one if the boss agrees.

Any room for an earlier start. No probs if this all becomes too complicated but if Tobert likes to be tucked up by 11 we could maybe go for a 9.30 kick off for practice?

What does everyone else think? Only mention as we can spend the first 20 minutes trying to make sure everyone is in.

Speaking of the whole hassle getting people together, has anyone taken a look at the lobby system yet?

It may be easy enough to create a BAP one with a simple password (eg, "rpl") and then everyone go into there before starting the game. It might help with the whole short timer as you don't start the game until everyone is in the lobby.