Armored Core 5

Preacher

I have a pre-order for this at Amazon, but as you've reviewed them Cacky, you'll know - is there any discernible difference between the PS3 one and the 360 one?

I'm leaning towards the PS3 one for two reasons - I don't currently have an XBL Gold account (and the online elements seem a big part of this) and I seem to recall the PS3 version of AC4 was slightly better (though I might be mistaken - I definitely remember they were different but it's been such a long time I can't quite remember).

However, the 360 version will have more use of voice chat, as my experience on MAG has taught me that very few people use the PS3 headset.

Hmm...

I have a pre-order for this at Amazon, but as you've reviewed them Cacky, you'll know - is there any discernible difference between the PS3 one and the 360 one?

I'm leaning towards the PS3 one for two reasons - I don't currently have an XBL Gold account (and the online elements seem a big part of this) and I seem to recall the PS3 version of AC4 was slightly better (though I might be mistaken - I definitely remember they were different but it's been such a long time I can't quite remember).

However, the 360 version will have more use of voice chat, as my experience on MAG has taught me that very few people use the PS3 headset.

Hmm...

Both pretty much play and look identical, there's not much between them. It's up to you really.

• 2 weeks later...

So who's getting this for 360? I'd like to try this 5v5 multiplayer where one person plays as the team's "operator", but that's not going to happen playing online with randoms.

I will be picking up the 360 version on launch here, as the game will probably use separated servers (much like how Demon's Souls works) so my Japanese copies will only work with the Japanese servers. As for the operator, I've only played in a few matches with people who've had one.

• 3 weeks later...

Copy arrived fine, though weirdly we don't have any of the DLC here yet. This was especially handy as it allowed newer players to forego the singleplayer acquisition of parts and start with a full complement straight away.

Also, the UK manual is a complete fucking joke. There's nothing in it.

Unfortunately, there are currently no (English) guides / FAQs available for the game at present either.

Way to fucking go Bamco (sigh)

Also, the UK manual is a complete fucking joke. There's nothing in it.

I only had a quick look at it earlier on, but am I right in thinking that the "controls" page has no mention of which buttons fire your weapons? :lol:

I've yet to have a proper go; just waiting for a new Live code to arrive via email before I do.

We now I've had a couple of hours on it, one thing I can say is that From should be praised for not playing it safe with ACV - it really is a completely different game to the previous ones in the series; in fact it feels more like Armored Core 1 to me in some respects.

They've done a lot to improve it for beginners too - for example, in the Assembly view you can press a button that lets you highlight each stat for a component, and it gives you a short textual description of what that stat is, whether lower or higher is better, and what difference it makes. I know previously this info was available online but it's nice that it's actually present in the game right now. They actually seem to have simplified customisation a bit over For Answer, a little - they don't have some of the really in-depth stuff like how you "balanced" your AC, but I think it's better for it. Certainly it's less intimidating. Plus, though I'm just guessing here I imagine the newer emphasis on ground combat, ducking and diving around buildings etc. will make the super-heavy AC's more of a viable option than they were in the previous two games, which means that there are more usable combinations of parts and playstyles full stop. That being said, there's still a learning curve for absolute beginners, though I think everyone expected that.

Visually, I agree with Cacky's review - the framerate does dip quite a bit - worse though is how the sound stutters slightly when there's a framedrop. This is a minor irritance for me, though I imagine the hardcore PvP players like Cacky would have preferred a more consistent framerate.

The online implementation though seems superb. For anyone familiar with Chrome Hounds, whilst it's very different, a way of describing it would be to say that it's an Armored Core take on that kind of implementation. You take part in a persistent online campaign after joining a team of players. Plus there are some really cool touches in-game, such as how you can have an upgrade that improves your targeting and lock-on systems, and this bonus applies to friendly players in your mission; there's definitely a stronger multiplayer focus here than in the previous games (in that there's no real distinction between solo and multiplayer anymore).

That audio glitch is a new problem, as it's not present on the Japanese versions I played. Installing the game seems to negate the issue somewhat.

Regardless of the framerate issue, I still said the game was excellent (and the framerate actually seems better than the Japanese versions I reviewed). So it's not as much of an issue for me. That said, the English dialogue (script and delivery) is catastrophically dire. All the lovely narrative inference in the Japanese version has been reduced to direct puerile nonsense. I doubt we'll ever get a properly localised AC game.

Also Edge does their thing again of making mistakes ("Armored Cores 2") and focusing on texture tiling (?!?). Not sure where AC2 was ever regarded as being "revered" though either. Very odd.

They've done a lot to improve it for beginners too - for example, in the Assembly view you can press a button that lets you highlight each stat for a component, and it gives you a short textual description of what that stat is, whether lower or higher is better, and what difference it makes. I know previously this info was available online but it's nice that it's actually present in the game right now.

Missed this, soz.

This was definitely present in most of the earlier (Japanese) games. Sounds like it was never localised over (which is no great surprise I suppose).

Been playing it some more this morning; it has definitely improved now that I've been able to get rid of all my "junk" parts and replaced them with better ones (even though they're still all quite basic parts, they're all just that bit better than the starting kit).

I actually particularly like the scanning/recon metagame; I think that's really interesting. It's similar in nature to what was done in the GRAW games with your camera drone/UAV, but in ACV it's far faster and more rewarding to use correctly.

I actually particularly like the scanning/recon metagame; I think that's really interesting. It's similar in nature to what was done in the GRAW games with your camera drone/UAV, but in ACV it's far faster and more rewarding to use correctly.

It feeds into the Operator too, as all the info you discover is displayed to the Operator. It's very cool I think and it makes the game much more about hunting/exploration.

My copy should be arriving tomorrow. My only concern is that I don't really ever manage to get online reliably so I won't be able to do many missions with friends. Looks like I'll be a mercenary more often than not, but being the type of person who hates talking to random people over Live makes the prospect a little off putting. Played the first couple of missions yesterday and loved it. It felt much more like the 'old' AC games (pre-4, I mean) and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the new playstyle.

My copy should be arriving tomorrow. My only concern is that I don't really ever manage to get online reliably so I won't be able to do many missions with friends. Looks like I'll be a mercenary more often than not, but being the type of person who hates talking to random people over Live makes the prospect a little off putting. Played the first couple of missions yesterday and loved it. It felt much more like the 'old' AC games (pre-4, I mean) and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the new playstyle.

There's not that much chatter at all really. You'd prolly enjoy being an Operator though.

Depends which team you join really. If they have a lot of members you're more likely to play online with people. However, you can always go down the route of a Mercenary at any time and get hired for matches (this is probably the coolest part of ACV for me).

Chrome Hounds was superb. Quite tempted with this, although bit worried it's not exactly beginner friendly though.

If you found Chrome Hounds "beginner-friendly" then you'll probably get along with ACV. They're very different games but both are quite complex.