Armored Core 5

Preacher

Hang about, is this out?? Seems to be shipping from Amazon but no sign of it on the HMV, Tesco websites or at CEX, and GAME/Gamestation sites have messages from the administrators only! The days of the shop for any electronic media are coming to an end even quicker than I imagined.

Anyone seen any copies in-store anywhere? Want to pick it up after work today.

Well this is pretty good isn't it? It's interesting how they've ditched lots of ideas from AC4, and have moved towards a heavier, grittier style (from what I've seen so far), with the return of the targeting reticule. Plenty to get stuck into, and the MP seems like it might be really good.

Picked this up on launch day and keep meaning to write some words about it. Anyway, it's bloody great, and I've set up a team over on another forum if anyone's interested - GRmored Core - http://www.grcade.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29461 - we were team level 44 or thereabouts yesterday, so just by joining you get access to all the parts we've unlocked up to that level. Plus, the more the merrier!

Story is absolute nonsense though. I've completed it, and I honestly couldn't tell you what happened for the most part.

Well this is pretty good isn't it? It's interesting how they've ditched lots of ideas from AC4, and have moved towards a heavier, grittier style (from what I've seen so far), with the return of the targeting reticule. Plenty to get stuck into, and the MP seems like it might be really good.

Yeah, it's a lot closer to the older games really. MP is also awesome. The ability to play as a mercenary is inspired genius!

Story is absolute nonsense though. I've completed it, and I honestly couldn't tell you what happened for the most part.

That's the shitty translation, it's painfully literal and misses out on a lot of the inferred plot points (all of which help to frame the overall narrative a LOT better).

Spent about 45 minutes doing the non-story missions last night (can't remember what they're called). Really enjoying it, although I need to spend a lot longer exploring the mecha customisation stuff.

Those are the Order missions and they are part of the story (awful translation notwithstanding). Finished the story again (for the third time) yesterday and now doing the remainder of the Order missions.

Is their any NG+ stuff going on like earlier AC games? Still don't get get territorial meta game, but had a great with the merc stuff last night.

Yeah-ish, it's all to do with the sub-quests in each mission (of which the Story missions have loads). Plus one of the Overed Weapons has a pretty tricky unlock too (it's to do with triggering and killing the Zodiac AC's in Story missions 1, 4 and 6). Then there's the whole weapon customisation aspect and the online economy that produces.

And the option of playing missions on a harder difficulty?

No, but the sub-quests take care of that. As you can't complete them all on your first playthrough and completing some of them makes the game game harder, such as the appearance of Zodiac AC's. It's more organic than the "Normal / Hard" setup seen in AC4 and ACFA.

Is there any way to find out what sort of weaponry your enemies will use before the mission? I know there are icons depicting the suspected enemies, but unless you've already faced that enemy type you can't tell whether they'll be using Kinetic or Thermal or whatever. I'd like to customise my AC to lean towards the best use of armour and weapons before a mission.

Is there any way to find out what sort of weaponry your enemies will use before the mission? I know there are icons depicting the suspected enemies, but unless you've already faced that enemy type you can't tell whether they'll be using Kinetic or Thermal or whatever. I'd like to customise my AC to lean towards the best use of armour and weapons before a mission.

Not really, plus that's the way the three armor types are meant to work; you'll always be vulnerable to one or two of the three shot types.

Yeah, I realise you'll always be vulnerable to one or two of them, but it would make sense to be able to say "oh, most of the projected enemies will be using Thermal fire, so I'll prioritise for that". As it is, you've got to guess.

Here's a question then; I've been trying to build an AC to do some free battles with, as the more general one I was doing the story missions and early order missions was clearly not sufficient.

Thing is, I'm also struggling a bit with the three weapon types. My previous AC was resistant mainly to KE (plus I had CIWS to counteract missiles, which I think a predominantly CE) but when I went into free battle, everyone seemed to be using battle rifles so I got destroyed really quickly (as those are CE).

So I just went and bought some anti-CE arms and core, and went back in, and my last 3 games have been against people with chainguns, which are KE weapons, so I got mashed by those.

Unless you're in a team, isn't solo combat a bit paper/scissors/stone? I mean what do you do if you go into a mission and (with no way of knowing beforehand) your armour is vulnerable to their weapons and your weapons only seem to scratch their paintwork? I get the idea that you should make up for that difference in piloting skill, but some weapons really have very little effect against the wrong type of armour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's really good; sadly, I passed my copy on. The game is very multiplayer focused and quite competitive, but I don't really have the time with the other stuff I'm playing right now - Tribes Ascend has really taken up that part of my gaming time.

• 4 months later...

Anyone still playing this? I joined some Anime-moe-otaku team in Japan which had 6 members, 5 more than anyone I found in the UK!

Is there actually a single-player campaign? Everything seems to go from the team world map. Love the new/old look and the return to more lumbering mechs, but my god it's like wading through a Haynes manual to get to the good stuff sometimes.