IGNORED

Deadly Premonition

The Sarge

I guess whether or not you can enjoy it is if you're the kind of person that can play an oooold game and not be put off by the graphics and that. Can you put that aside and be immersed anyway?

It's also one of the most addictive adventure/mystery games I've played. It got to the point I was making excuses not to go out to play it, I never do that! Put it this way, I finished this but I didn't finish Alan Wake. The best thing is that I really am not sure why. There's something of "The Room" (hilariously bad cult film, great to talk about) in there.

I think the elephant in the room with this game is that it's an OCD game. Go here, go there, explore for the cards, collect cash, manage your inventory, etc. I think this is the key thing - if you fall for things like that then you're good.

I have 8 hours of game time before I need to be in the community centre - my suit is dirty and the other two will take days to clean, is there somewhere to buy suits from?

What are the rules in regards to picking flowers? I have the quest from George, it's raining, there's still several hours until I need to be at the community centre and yet I'm standing right on top of one of the icons and there's no prompt to pick it.

Edit: Oh, seems the one I was trying to pick was just bugged. I went to another patch and it worked fine.

Incidentally I was peeking through Emily's window earlier ( :unsure: ) and noticed her sink was full of singed dishes, the wall above her cooker charred black, which I thought was a nice touch. Of course for every detail like that there's also a squirrel which sounds like a monkey, but that's Deadly Premonition for you.

How do you get George's second side-quest?

I'm in his office with him but all he wants to talk about is making sure I'm on time for the community theatre talk, which is hours away.

Also, spooky tunnel side-quest:

I went to the tunnel, ended up in a single room with some enemies. I wiped them out but the door to somewhere else was locked and the only other place to go was the glowing ring which took me back out to the tunnel. What are you meant to do?

Also, spooky tunnel side-quest:

I went to the tunnel, ended up in a single room with some enemies. I wiped them out but the door to somewhere else was locked and the only other place to go was the glowing ring which took me back out to the tunnel. What are you meant to do?

Once you kill all the enemies then the door will unlock, I got a bit confused by this too and I don't know if there's something funny about it cos I'm sure I've found it locked when I've killed everything. Sometimes there might still be more enemies to spawn or you have to look at the item that's available to pick up, I don't know.

I just started this yesterday going on nothing but a couple of posts in this thread. I’m an hour and a bit in (where you drive for the first time) and so far it has been mind blowing. The opening was awesome, the absolutely mental lead character is awesome and the utter surreal nature of it all is just amazing. I’ve never played anything like it. Even the graphics, in their PS2 way, are actually really good.

I played it alone, with the lights off at night and after getting stoned. I’m going to drop that last part today because whilst it undoubtedly made the surreal bits completely amazing I realise that I don’t remember any of the conversation I had with the old woman at the start because I was tripping balls at the surreal nature of it haha. Today I’ll try it sober and hope that it keeps up its mesmerising level of surrealness.

I’m worried I’ll read spoilers if I read the rest of the thread so I’ll have to wait until I complete it until properly interacting. But so far so utterly amazing.

EDIT: Oh, I see this thread is spoiler free according to therearerules. Excellent.

I'm back on this too. I played the prologue after getting this on release, but left it due to masses of other unplayed games and quite unhealthy obsession with 2D fighters. Maaaan. Played all the way from chapter two to chapter seven today, which doesn't sound like much, but I'm actually obsessed with going back to chapter 2 and doing more and more sidequests. Also, since getting the stuff as recommended in the Timmo's mini guide, the combat doesn't bother me in the slightest (although I actually got quite used to popping off headshots with the pistol anyway).

I actually really like the super sedate pacing. It's quite nice and relaxing to just potter around town, looking for trading cards, pushing some boxes here, getting a carwash there. Even the combat isn't all that taxing. It's like the videogame version of a saturday afternoon film on channel 5. I'm totally hooked!

Also, fucking nailed the darts high score. Get in!

How can I take on Diane's quest? According to the sub-mission menu I'm in an eligible chapter — 12 — but whenever I go to the art gallery she's in a room I can't get in to and if I wait around for her to come out instead she'll magically teleport to Polly's where she isn't in a quest-giving mood.

I know she gives a card as a reward and...

I don't want to progress the story until I have it as I know what happens to her if I do, having watched the Endurance Run.

Edit: After some more experimentation I found the best time to enter the gallery is around 15:00, that way you can catch Diane whilst she's walking around the exhibits. I entered through the back entrance, although I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Holy shit.

After putting in about 10 hours this weekend, and spending an agonizing amount of time doing quests, the game bugged out on me on chapter 9, forcing me to restart.

I've now checked around, and apparently, it's a known bug. NEVER REPLAY CHAPTERS WHEN YOU HAVE A KEY IN YOUR INVENTORY. IT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY ERASED AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER.

At least I can skip stuff this time I guess. Jeez. It's really quite disheartening. I had done about 30+ odd sub quests. At least I wasn't further in. Sigh.

Holy shit.

After putting in about 10 hours this weekend, and spending an agonizing amount of time doing quests, the game bugged out on me on chapter 9, forcing me to restart.

I've now checked around, and apparently, it's a known bug. NEVER REPLAY CHAPTERS WHEN YOU HAVE A KEY IN YOUR INVENTORY. IT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY ERASED AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER.

At least I can skip stuff this time I guess. Jeez. It's really quite disheartening. I had done about 30+ odd sub quests. At least I wasn't further in. Sigh.

Ouch!! :(

Good on you for getting straight back into it though.. as much as I loved the game I dont think I could have forgiven it if that had happened.

Cheers. It's a real pain, but the game has me sort of hooked. I want to continue to get into its weird world.

I'd gotten lots of fancy weaponry, and never even had a chance to check it out, so I guess I"m still okay with going back to just the pistol. I'm not doing too badly though, having skipped everything so far, I've gotten to chapter 2 in about 20 minutes, and this time I'm just going to follow a guide to maximise my subquest efficiency until I get back to where I was.

Two and a half hours later and I'm on chapter 3. I've gotten a shit load of subquests out the way, and done a bunch of preparation too. Hopefully, it'll be fairly smooth sailing until I reach where I was. Not particularly looking forward to the 'dungeon' sections without being tooled up though. Roll on Chapter 6.

This bug has actually pissed me off to the extent that I'm more determined to finish it, and finish it properly, I can't just leave all the work I put in unfinished! No no no. Fuck it. 1000 points inbound, provided I get the time.

1000 points inbound, provided I get the time.

Um, another thing...you've probably figured out that some of the achievements are for completing the game on each different difficulty setting, right? Well, here's the problem: the achievements don't stack. Even if you complete the game on hard, you'll have to complete it again on easy and medium if you want the full 1000G.

I love Deadly Premonition but it really is a mess sometimes.

Um, another thing...you've probably figured out that some of the achievements are for completing the game on each different difficulty setting, right? Well, here's the problem: the achievements don't stack. Even if you complete the game on hard, you'll have to complete it again on easy and medium if you want the full 1000G.

I'd almost be disappointed if they managed to get that right.

I'm actually aware of this, I'm just hoping the achievements will unlock if I replay chapters, rather than starting a new game, as I hear there is no NG+. I think I could mostly speed through it with decent weapons and plenty of skipping stuff. I'm actually feel like I've put so much effort in it would be a waste if I didn't do it!

I'm the kind of special case that needs to do every possible side quest in a game; are there quests that are only available during certain episodes/chapters? I don't want to plough on too far with the main story if there's a chance I'm going to miss out on stuff. Or is that the point of being able to replay individual chapters? Do items awarded for completing sidequests in that mode carry over to your main game?

I'm still early on (currently in the hospital, I think chapter 3) but I'm enjoying this. I mean it's terrible and everything but there's just something about it. I'm getting a pleasant old-school Resident Evil vibe from the shonky controls, so that's a bonus too.

Or is that the point of being able to replay individual chapters? Do items awarded for completing sidequests in that mode carry over to your main game?

That is the point indeed. But be very careful - I encountered a bug about 10 hours in that meant I had to completely restart. I would suggest not replaying chapters while in the middle of a chapter, - only at the very start of a chapter after the game auto-saves. The keys in you maybe pick up during a chapter in your current chapter are erased from your inventory when you replay an older chapter. Unfortunately, these are not replaced when you come back to your current save.

I caught up back to where I was and overtook myself last night. God this game is getting good. Although I've had enough combat to last me a lifetime now.

It's out in Japan on PS3 - but apparently there's no english language option and the load times are awful. I think it was supposed to come out on PS3 in the US, but I don't think it has as of yet.

I finished this yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it to the end... yeah... probably won't be going for the 1000Gs though. :lol: