PS3 Essentials

Kryptonian

Similar to the 360 thread, I'm thinking of getting a PS3 but can't help but think my reasoning for doing so is that 1. I don't have one and 2. New gadget fever

As I know literally nothing about PS3 games, if people could suggest some titles that are must haves it would help me decide whether it was my cup of tea or not.

I have a vague interest in MGS4 (played MGS on PSOne and liked it but thought Twin Snakes on the GCN and whatever was on the Xbox was crap) and Pixeljunk Monsters but can't really justify buying one just for those alone.

I'm not interested in any multiplatform titles at all as I would get them on the 360, unless the PS3 version is far superior for some reason. Expanding a little on just posting a list would be helpful, to encourage some discussion :lol:

edit - I've dipped in and out of the PS3 thread but it covers too much stuff - firmware/home/etc

Not sure about Wipeout. I bought myself a PS3 before Christmas and it's one of the 3 games I bought...man, it's pretty unimaginative in the looks department, with the exception of SOL 2 - and before anyone says it, yes; visuals matter plenty in a Wipeout game. Providing you do pick it up, don't play through on novice, even if that's seemingly the default - it's far, far too easy.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with Valkyria Chronicles (even if it is incredibly hard) and I'm really looking forward to Yakuza 3, God of War 3, and Heavy Rain - all due before the end of March.

Wipeout is a must. I really, really like Blast Factor too - although I seem to be the only person that does. Super Stardust is a far more popular choice, but I think Stardust is too easy; one run can last hours. Blast Factor is proper second by second thrills with some interesting use of the controls.

I'm like you that I use my PS3 for pretty much exclusives- it has plenty to feed that purpose thankfully, though some of the titles don't have much widespread appeal as amazing as that may be.

The game I love most, Demon Souls, is one of them. It's a hard game to describe so that the person who hasn't played it will really understand what experience it provides. It's a game you will either not be interested at all or love to bits with all your heart. It feels immensely unique in the sense that you go through some very distinct stages with how you play the game. You essentially make your way through certain sections of an enviroment, be it a castle or mine or swamp. At the end of these sections are boss fights and before them are a whole host of deadly enemies and traps to navigate. If you die you go back to the start of the level (though you can unlock shortcuts which sort of act like checkpoints) and every enemy respawns, and if you're not careful, it is very easy to die. The online aspect is brilliant, other players leave you messages to warrn you of upcoming danger or leave you tips and you can summon in others for help or be invaded by another human player who wishes you dead. Anyway thats a tiny shit summary, the thread is way more informative and while it's not a game everyone will like, it's something everyone should try or at least research- it's THAT good!

Another more niche game is Valkyria Chronicles- this can be summed up more easily- its essentially a Japanese action strategy RPG. There is a demo of this up on the US PSN I believe so you can play it for yourself and see how it feels- personally I've really enjoyed the 25 hours or so I've played of it. Anyway I mentioned these two first as they're definately the most unique games on the system and you'll find nothing like them on the 360.

Of course theres also the Uncharted games- best to be played from 1 to 2. The first is nowhere near as enjoyable as the second for me, but its an enjoyable adventure and more importantly, increases the impact of the second. You'll also probably enjoy Killzone 2 as it can be picked up for cheap! The graphics are still pretty damn impressive and though it has its flaws, I think its a good experience for a budget price.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift is a frustrating but exciting racer, I hated it and loved it at the same time, but the love definately took precedence. Everybodys Golf World Tour is great, I'm sure someone else will cover why better than I could.

On PSN, there are a number of unique and cool games to try out. Wipeout and Flower are at the forefront for me, though I've head pixeljunk shooter is great too.

Uncharted 2 was my favourite game of last year. A new standard for games of it's ilk and easily the best looking game this gen too.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is excellent - I didn't get it at first but once you put some time in it just clicks. One of my favourite racers this gen - it looks gorgeous and a real challenge at times.

I enjoyed inFamous, it's not essential but an enjoyable romp. LittleBigPlanet is definitely worth a look, again not essential and very flawed, but for the tenner or so it'll cost you there's so many ideas and charm that you'll get your money's worth.

I loved Katamari Forever and currently loving God of War collection, but they're essentially just repackaged PS2 games so if you've previously played them there's not too much new to look at. Must buys otherwise.

PSN exclusive stuff I'd recommend:

Shatter

Pixeljunk Shooter

Pixeljunk Eden

Wipeout HD

Crash Commando (only if you play online)

Trash Panic

Noby Noby Boy

Flower

My most played PS3 game is Burnout Paradise, just having it sit on the HDD ready to play made it so tempting. Supposedly a slightly better version than the 360, but there's not a great deal in it.

As others have said Wipeout HD, Everybody's Golf and Uncharted 2 are fantastic... also Killzone 2 as a mp game is the shit. Single player its OK but nowt to write home about. MGS4 did nothing for me and that and Everybody's golf was the reason I went for one in the first place. Also as a media centre I think its a hell of a lot better than a 360, plus its a piece of piss to slap in a huge HDD.

EDIT: and a pair of triggers!

PS3triggers.jpg

Uncharted 2, and 1 just for the hell of it. I'm playing 2 again on Hard at the mo, and it really os the most beautiful game I think I've ever seen. That's the Himalaya levels, and then the even later levels make your eyeballs melt with an orgy of colour.

Wipeout Fury, Metal Gear 4, Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls are all great as is Everybody's Golf. Super Stardust, Everyday Shooter, Noby Noby and Flower are worth a punt as well. Motorstom's very fun too.

Killzone 2 if you aren't sick of FPS's yet. The online I found very good. Oh yeah, and I love Warhawk.

Got Yakuza 3 and Heavy Rain on pre-order.

I use my 360 as my main machine, in part because most of my friends have one, but that all said, the PS3 has some of the best games this generation in my opinion. Valkyrie Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Everybody's Golf and Uncharted 1/2 are absolutely brilliant for starters. There's also some really good stuff on the PSN and dare I say, a little more interesting that what's available on XBLA.

This will be a short thread...

:lol:

Everyone will list the same 5 to 10 games.

Metal Gear 4 (If you like that sort of thing, which I certainly do. It's not for everyone though.)

Uncharted.

Uncharted 2.

Demon's Soul (THIS.)

Valkyria Chronicles. (Although it's a little...dry.)

Ridge Racer 7.

Wipeout HD

Flower.

...Killzone 2 is ok.

Trying to come up with something that hasn't been mentioned.

Shatter - lovely PSN take on the Arkanoid/Breakout type game. Gorgeous visuals, great Daft Punk-ey soundtrack, some really neat mechanics - particularly the way the bat can "blow" and "suck" the ball. Great game, especially at £4odd.

I really enjoyed InFamous as well.

Valkyria Chronicles isn't dry in the slightest. Its story and characters are warm and full of pathos and the game engine is nicely flexible to allow you to do your own thing and still do well. "Dry" would be the last word I'd use to describe it.

Uncharted 1 and 2 are both really good. I'm quite addicted to the multiplayer in 2. Demon's Souls, motortorm 1&2, killzone 2 have all had me really hooked too.

Valkyria Chronicles is also great, i loved the gameplay it reminded me of advance wars for some reason.

Infamous is quite a good game, it does have it's flaws but its got great pacing and i liked the combat.

I certainly recommend Uncharteds 1 & 2, both the disc-based Ratchet & Clanks (skip the PSN one), MGS4, Everybody's Golf World Tour and inFamous. I'd also recommend Little Big Planet and Killzone 2 (although if I recall you're something of an FPS dude, and it might not rock your boat.) I'd skip the Resistance games for sure, although 1 is infinity times better than 2, which should be avoided like it's got tramp AIDS. Folklore's OK if you see it cheap. And there's a Disgaea on PS3 too. I really like both MotorStorms also. Maybe Warhawk also.

On PSN, WipEout HD is obviously a key game. I really like having Burnout Paradise in its PSN version, but it's not an exclusive. Other highlights include Super Stardust, Everyday Shooter and Blast Factor (that's the twin-stick shooters covered), the PixelJunk games (personal faves being Monsters and Shooter), The Last Guy, Flower, Cuboid, Lumines, Critter Crunch, Crash Commando, and Siren Blood Curse. Trine, perhaps.

Loads of people love Valkyria Chronicles, but I found the gameplay a little dull. Demon's Souls is massively raved about, but I haven't played it.