Archer

Luke

I've not being loving the Archer Vice direction - but this weeks episode is incredible.

Don't worry, I won't, because selling cocaine to cocaine dealers doesn't really compare to helping overthrow democratically elected governments, like the US did in Guatemala, Chile, Nicaragua, er, oh, Iran. Because - spoiler alert - those didn't really worked out so great. But that's ok, because I'm pinning my hopes for the future on the next big shipment of stingray missiles to that ragtag bunch of mujaheddin heroes in Afghanistan.

I'm still enjoying this a lot although I don't think it's at the highs of the earlier seasons. For better or worse there's possibly too many established jokes now, and while they work well and have evolved (like this episode's "why aren't we doing 'phrasing'?"), it's still not quite as fresh as it was back in the first couple of seasons.

That's maybe a weird complaint. But Archer seems a lot more... comfortable to me now. Even with the formula shake-up.

I think this season has been really good, but would say it's been more of a slow burn because of the overall plot going on in the background. The last two episodes picked up the pace a bit, and we kinda know from Archer's Vice montage/dream sequence that there's even more ridiculous action to come.

This is so much better than the last series. Not that series 4 was rubbish or anything, but there were a couple of episodes that fell a bit flat; this is just solidly fantastic. The new plot line doesn't change the series all that much - most of the episodes could have been done in previous series with a few tweaks - but it just makes everything feel a bit fresher, and gives them the opportunity for the running jokes about cocaine.