Re the speeded up sensation, it may just been I'm not a big fan of the animation in this game in general. NPC's penetrating walls and throwing spasmodic fits aside, it feels too fluid at times, like the enemies have no weight.

Really I'm nit picking though. The rest is a lot of fun. I don't know how far I've got into it, but I'm starting to worry how far they're going to stretch out the travel from A to B mechanic.

I don't remember complaining about the amount of grenades.

No you didn't, you said you didn't like selecting them as an item as opposed to instant casting. My point is, by reducing the immediacy of the grenade, they reduce the natural tendency to spam grenades everywhere, which is a common problem with that other certain shooter. Either it's a design decision or simply caused by having the suit abilities take up extra buttons in the standard COD control scheme.

On the PC version you just hit G to instantly chuck a grenade though.

Re: multiplayer, I really like it. It's completely fucked at the moment though, haven't been able to get into a game for two days. It seems like a bog standard COD ripoff 'but with invisibility' and I suppose it is when you play the standard instant action modes. However, add an objective into the mix (relay, assault, CTF, drop pod etc) and it becomes a whole new ball game. You need to use your powers wisely and co-ordinate well with your team, especially if the enemy are doing something clever like all bunkering down with armour on to protect an objective.

I wonder if its possible to stream data ala GTA IV - so we get this engine for a city instead of Rockstar's one.

That said, all Rockstar's engine needs is better lighting and effect shaders. Something thats not unfeasible.

Anyway, another thing i really liked (and thought was quite errie) was the Alien ship passing across the street in the second section. Theres a lovely humm as is passes.

Reminded me of Dalek Invasion Earth.

Had another example of brain dead AI, a team of cell agents have entered the building im in and are searching for me, i was standing in an elevator and they entered the far end of the corridor, i can hear them sayign shit like "hes here soemwhere!, spread out and find him!", so im waiting for them to walk past the elevator doors and blast them, but they never arrive. Im like what the fuck is the hold up, and look outside the lift to see the elite cell operative walking headfisrt into a wall over and over :lol:

Naded a group of agents clustered together earlier; post carnage, another agent appears, surveys the bodies and reports a false alarm.

I lol'd.

Got this from LOVEFiLM today, the single-player is excellent, but the matchmaking is completely broken.

Releasing an FPS in 2011 without locality-based matchmaking is ridiculous. I don't think I've had a single game where I was above 2 bar.

I prefer fighting the aliens rather than the soldiers. The soldiers were great and all that, especially for head-shotting, but they are much easier to defeat as a group. With the aliens I'm feeling really tense taking on two at a time, I get killed extremely quickly if I make any mistake. I enjoyed playing with the soldiers whereas with the aliens I just feel way more vulnerable.

Just had a couple more hours and you guys were right, the aliens are great to fight after all. At first I didn't like how they sometimes don't recoil to shots, but it's necessary to give them their power. Like Halo's Elites one on its own can mess you up if you're not careful. I particularly like the move they do when they send out a shockwave which kills your cloak. There's some great stuff when they hear a shot and then come floundering around like the blind claw guy from Resi 4, hoping to catch you cloaked, or fire their weapon towards where they think you are to try and interrupt it.

In fact I'm loving it more and more, only the buggy AI (getting caught on stuff, massively repeated dialogue etc) is my real complaint. Loads of variety in how the fights go down which I wasn't expecting. An ACOG scope that's actually of some worth with some of the ranged fighting you get.

Glad I didn't play on Supersoldier just yet!

Best console shooter since Halo CE. Fuck, it's probably the best console game full stop since Halo.

Anyone splitting hairs or picking it apart over minutiae deserves a chip fork down the Jap's eye. It's absolutely glorious.

Not even looked at the MP, yet.

Just coming in here to post the same thing. I've just finished (the brilliant) Level 9 and I reckon this is the best single player FPS campaign I've played in a very long time. Nit pickers be damned, this is gorgeous to look at and play.

Glad to hear people are enjoying this.

I've said it before but I got a real Halo feeling from the original Crysis when I finally got around to playing it (although - whisper it - I liked it a lot more than Halo) so I'm not surprised that comparisons are being drawn now. Looking forward to playing this and I hope it's not been scaled down too much from the original. I'd be buying it right now if I didn't have a dissertation to write and far too much gaming to get through already.

Glad to hear people are enjoying this.

I've said it before but I got a real Halo feeling from the original Crysis when I finally got around to playing it (although - whisper it - I liked it a lot more than Halo) so I'm not surprised that comparisons are being drawn now. Looking forward to playing this and I hope it's not been scaled down too much from the original. I'd be buying it right now if I didn't have a dissertation to write and far too much gaming to get through already.

It's definitely been scaled down but it is still very much Crysis so fear not.

Finished it there with just under 7 hours on the clock but I know for a fact it's longer than that, around 8 - 9hours at least due to retries etc. Also, I just ran through a few levels later on in cloak and I am sure they could take a lot longer if you just had firefights all the way through them (or most of the levels even). I love the way the excitement comes from doing the levels/firefights any way you want with what you have at your disposal. I don't think I'll ever get tired of kicking cars with C4 attached to them at enemies :lol: Story's a bag of shite though, you are never confused as to what to do or anything like that but it wasn't very interesting apart from giving you a reason to go from point A to B.

Overall though, excellent stuff and does the Crysis name proud for sure. Roll on Crysis 3.

Sounds great. Would you say there's stuff equal to (or better than) the Assault and Onslaught levels from Crysis?

I'd say so, but you need to be aware that the areas are much, much smaller in general. However, there's no fannying about getting from one enemy camp to the next. Also there is next to no 'onslaught' style large-scale vehicle stuff in this really, at least not so far (but hey, it's long right?) You really need to understand that it's a much smaller, more focused and boiled-down game this time around, for better or worse depending on personal preference. I don't mind the smaller environments but it might be a real issue for some. I've enjoyed the campaign since the first combat section and it hasn't gone off the boil yet.

The main complaint seems to be the AI, and yes the enemies do react weirdly on occasion (ie I kicked a car at one and he just shrugged it off). However, once you're actually engaging them in combat they're as sharp as they ever were in Crysis. The customary Crytek shit aliens have been swapped for aliens that are now very fun to fight.

I really fucking miss 'speed' though. All you can do now is sprint at the standard FPS speed, I really miss darting around like a lunatic.

I have to agree with Brer on this one, the aliens are much more fun and satisfying to fight against compared to the human enemies.

They just give you more options and are better at sniffing you out i think. Also because they can leap it adds a new level of verticality to the gameplay. Theyre definitely more fun than the cell. Im not sure too but i think the level design seems to improve when youre fighting the aliens, i dunno, all i know is i just went from finding it merely 'okay' in the opening levels to really enjoying it when the aliens showed up

I'd say the best gunfight is right at the end where

you are fighting 4 really tough invisible mother fuckers. That fight was, for me anyway, incredibly intense and darting around looking for ammo, using Nanovision, sniffing the sods out and waiting for them to attack you as well was really fun. Great bit of combat that was

Here's something I made earlier featuring the early levels of the game. This might get taken down shortly because of a copyright dispute, so watch it while you can!

720p available!

Crysis 2 in Slow Motion 1 : "Risk"

I'm surprised people enjoy fighting the aliens more, personally I much prefer fighting the humans. I think them reacting to your bullets is mostly why, and because it's easier to spot when you headshot them which is always fun, they also take less bullets to kill (but are usually more of them as a result) which I like. Just thinking back to my favourite levels and they all seemed to involve the human enemies, the Church is an obvious one, then there are two very good levels late on which also involve humans. The aliens are much better in this game than the first though.

Just got up to the eye of the storm level, and the cutscene at the beginning honestly had me just thinking "how the fuck have crytek managed this??". Its unbelieveable for a console game. I think its definitely got an edge on KZ3, as KZ3 was pretty spotty, it looked absolutely incredible in levels like the factory and the mawlr but could look pretty poor at times too. Crysis 2 seems to maintain an overall level of "fucking WOW".

Tho i didnt particularly enjoy fighting those bipedal fucking things. Quite irritating having to fight them, all the grunts, and constantly trying to use nanovision cause its so fucking dark

I think its definitely got an edge on KZ3, as KZ3 was pretty spotty

The thing for me that gives this a definite edge over Killzone, is that while you're in an apocalyptic scenario a lot of the time it's honestly beautiful looking, sun shining through trees that are swaying in the breeze, water flowing to form pools and rivers, the impressive (even when partially destroyed) architecture of Manhattan. Killzone is undoubtedly technically impressive, with however many shaders and particle effects and whatnot flying around, but it's so constantly grim and grimy it feels like they've hired Michaelangelo and then gotten him to paint an industrial estate in Glasgow.

it feels like they've hired Michaelangelo and then gotten him to paint an industrial estate in Glasgow.

:lol:

Good point, even their jungle managed to look grimy and industrial! Gonna get to spend some more time with the PC version today, cant wait! Im pacing myself with the 360 version, think im more or less on the last level now, but its been brilliant so far. I do prefer the original, and the sequel really is a stripped down and condensed version of Crysis 1 and not without its problems, but man, this and bulletstorm have been a real kick up the hole for console FPSes. It puts any cod sp you care to name to absolute shame

I'm loving this game (360 Version.) I feel like one of the Replica soldiers from the FEAR series, sliding about, snapping necks and stabbing folk. It looks consistently awesome but actually has a brilliant, solid game behind the graphics to back it up.

The amount of tactical options the game offers is just fantastic and keeps it fresh, not just with the suit powers but the gun customisation is great as well. Sticking a rifle scope and one shot mode on a Scar turns it from a generic assault rifle to a gun with a totally different feel together - something which CoD et al really lack. The fact you can do this on the fly, safely camouflaged as a patrol walks by is even better.

One thing that really deserves praise that i feel is being overlooked is the superlative sound design, playing it through a 5.1 setup is stunning. Through the audio and visual feedback, it really feels like you are squeezing off a round everytime you pull the trigger, particularly on the Hammer.50 Pistol and the Marshall Shotgun (quite frankly one of the best videogame shotguns yet). Also the reverb on the weapons is fantastic when indoors, the previously mentioned Shotgun sounds like a howitzer in confined spaces, blowing back cell agents and aliens with delightfully violent consequences. The F2000 type weapon (feline?) ripping through soldiers is also a ton of fun.

So far the only dissapointment has been the lagtacular multiplayer,that and the fact it takes far,far too long to unlock guns and attachments. The potential is there though, so here's hoping EA/Crytek look after the community. Some of the maps are great particularly the wall street and parking lot.

Well done EA/Crytek. Finally a 2011 release that's not been a gigantic disappointment!