IGNORED

Capcom x Microsoft Announcement - January 26

The Sarge

Were Rare pretty much unknown then? Why did anyone buy KI?

It was an arcade game too, and pretty popular. It was all like, whoaa shiny 3D pre-rendered characters and stuff. The combos you could pull off were RIDICULOUS too. I was never really into it, but can totally understand the love the KI games get.

Were Rare pretty much unknown then? Why did anyone buy KI?

It was an arcade game silly, nobody ever means the console versions when they say 'killer instinct' unless they explicitly say so. When it came out it was claimed to be a showcase for the upcoming Ultra 64 graphcis, and at the time it looked stunning - it was the best looking arcade game by far at the time. The Crysis of beat'em ups if you will. I remember the KI cabs being packed with onlookers when it first came out, it looked so far ahead of anything else. Of course, in gameplay terms it was somewhat lacking compared to Street Fighter.

It was an arcade game silly, nobody ever means the console versions when they say 'killer instinct' unless they explicitly say so. When it came out it was claimed to be a showcase for the upcoming Ultra 64 graphcis, and at the time it looked stunning - it was the best looking arcade game by far at the time. The Crysis of beat'em ups if you will. I remember the KI cabs being packed with onlookers when it first came out, it looked so far ahead of anything else. Of course, in gameplay terms it was somewhat lacking compared to Street Fighter.

Nah, Crysis is a decent game underneath, not a haphazard collection of cliches and stolen elements crammed together under pretty graphics which will attract the morons. It was clearly the Halo of fighting games.

Killer Instinct's looks were a sham, con-job of the largest magnitude. It was all pre-rendered sprite bollocks, basically the same technique they used for Donkey Kong country.

Yeah, which was revolutionary (and award winning) at the time.

Eh? Killer Instinct came around the same time as the first DKC (Checking Wikipedia reveals it came out a month before the first Donkey Kong Country.) I mean, as Mr. Gerbik says, it had the looks. People were crowding around that cabinet.

Of course, but that doesn't mean it's bollocks. It's one technique in achieving nice visuals. To the casual observer with no idea of the differences between pre-rendered and real time, Killer Instinct looked miles ahead of the blocky, untextured goodness of Virtua Fighter. From what I remember, KI got a lot more exposure. Maybe unjustly so, but still.

KI was like a shallow glamour model (looks and ultra combos were its 2 best assets), now she's just yesterday's chip paper, while Virtua Fighter 2 still plays like a dream, heck, even the original Virtua Fighter has aged better than Killer Instinct's low res sprites and shallow gameplay, try it in an emulator.

KI was like a shallow glamour model (looks and ultra combos were its 2 best assets), now she's just yesterday's chip paper, while Virtua Fighter 2 still plays like a dream, heck, even the original Virtua Fighter has aged better than Killer Instinct's low res sprites and shallow gameplay, try it in an emulator.

Well, let's just forget the Mega Drive version of VF2 then. ;)

Well, let's just forget the Mega Drive version of VF2 then. ;)

And I'll also try to forget the SNES conversion of Killer Instinct, which looked only mildly worse than the arcade original. Amazed Rare don't use this technique now, 1080P pre-baked/rendered sprites, you'd actually get a game that looked like a Pixar movie in realtime :)

Nah, Crysis is a decent game underneath, not a haphazard collection of cliches and stolen elements crammed together under pretty graphics which will attract the morons. It was clearly the Halo of fighting games.

Troll/10. If you're going to attempt being contentious at least have a basic grasp of the subject matter.

This little nugget from a while back might give a clue ;)

Q. So what brings you by the studio today and what do you think of our setup?

A. Bungie is an amazing studio that has made incredible games. So I was always curious about how they made their games in hopes of being up to add some of the flavor into Capcom games. Also, I wanted to come down to Bungie in order to see just how well our philosophies on game design matched up. If things clicked, I know it would be interesting to collaborate together on a title in the future.

Final Message to Bungie-net fans:

Visiting Bungie was a great experience because I got to see just how passionate everyone even the Marketing staff and high level execs were toward designing high-quality games. I’m not just blowing smoke, I really got that vibe from almost every creator I met when I visited. It’s was a great visit because it helped motivate me to push Capcom to that same quality bar so that we make games that can compete with Bungie. It’s a good thing to see the friendly competition because it helps you set high goals and that is exactly what I have for Capcom. Of course, as I mentioned before a Bungie-Capcom collaboration would certainly create something amazing as well… but I guess we’ll have to see if the next twenty years holds something that special or not.

Not impossible that it could be Halo related. This month's Edge article mentions that Reach is the first of a new Halo trilogy. And... it's supposed to be Bungie's last Halo game. If it is HDR SFIII though, I will have to buy a 360 immediately.