Games that you want to like...

Asura

Fifa.

All the parts are there now but it just doesn't do it for me and I don't know why. Every time I try a demo, for the last few versions anyway, I think, 'this is bloody great!' then the full game comes and I can't get into it or persevere with it. A shame because PES has had a few shocking years to say the least (2010 shows signs of a recovery but still creaks) and yet there are no football games out there other than the big two.

In other news, I'm in the 'wish I could like Zelda' camp as well.

I would really like to enjoy, or even 'get', SRPGs. Most of them look absolutely gorgeous, I love that blocky, 2D art, but I have no idea how to play them, and not enough patience. I also like the idea of traditional strategy games, but in reality they bore me to tears. Playing Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars on the train would be brilliant, but it'll never happen :quote:

A specific game I'd like to enjoy is Bioshock. It looks incredible, and the atmosphere is great, but I didn't get that either. It was rubbish.

Halo for me in'all. I've fallen for it four fucking times now and I just don't get the fuss.

I did enjoy the first. Loved the change of pace halfway and it does get pretty intense at times, but every game since has left me cold. I've totally ruled out Reach.

I bet Bungie would be devistated if only they could hear me in their diamond encrusted office block.

Yeah put me down for Halo as well. I've got the first three and I'm baffled as to why people get excited about 'em. Dull shiney space wars. I played the first one up to that fucking library full of Flood, oh I completed 3 but it was a joyless experience

Street Fighter 4 also left me in the dark, I sooooooooo desperately wanted to like it. I've got untold versions of Street Fighter, but SF4 just convinced me I'm now too old to be practising 'reverse parry combo counter breakers' for 400 hours before I stand a chance of being any good.

Also any ultra competitive on-line FPS, such as COD, MW, Halo, Counter Strike, et al. Just baffling why you'd endure being called a fucking fag by nine year olds in the pursuit of enjoyment. Also same problem as SF4, i.e. putting hundreds of hours in to be any good. I've got a huge pile of games to play here, I don't need or want to sink my life into a single game.

Skies of Arcadia I was loving it. Looked beautiful, wonderful characters, music from heaven...and then i spent 3 hours trying to find a place to land the ship, all the time being peppered with random battles.

The disc sat in my Dreamcast for 4 weeks. Too much love to shelve it, and too much hate to press the power button.

JRPGs and more specifically Final Fantasy.

I've got VII, VII, IX, X and I think X2. I play 'em for abut 3 hours, think meh, and never switch them on again. I probably played VII for a lot longer but got fucked off with the random battles.

See for some reason I can forgive archaic game design in series like Castlevania or Resident Evil, but there's something about Final Fantasy that just screams - this is a ageing and not very good game template from 1988 in some prettier clothes.

But I'd like to like them, I really do!

If (and this is a big if) I was going to give the series another stab, what would be a good one to win me round?

Joyrex is able to run with the thread on his own! :quote: Only kidding dude!

Quite frankly all it has made me realise is that I usually like most genres I want to like, and even some that I don't. My gaming tastes are very open, though there are genres I'm less interested than others= like sports games, but I've still enjoyed them in the past on rare moments. I do dislike games

I know what I will usually dislike- stuff from nintendos new age like Brain Training, the Mama games, the more simpler mini games stuff meant for another market genuinely don't entertain me at all, but I never really thought they would. Just tried them out but good for family and friends. But I feel no loss from not enjoying them at all

Modern Warfare 2

After putting in nearly 50 days on COD4 (possibly more than anyone else on rllmuk), I was so looking forward to MW2. I watched the trailers and preview videos avidly; replaying them again and again. I picked it up on a midnight launch, played the single player through that night and took two days off work to play the multi-player game. And therein lies the problem for me.

Whilst COD4 had its flaws, they were clearly fixable. Indeed, the awful COD5 WaW had solutions to the hosting problem and team-killers. So, I was hoping that MW2 would incorporate these and, essentially, be an extended map pack for COD4.

Sadly, I could not get used to the multi-player on MW2. I found most of the maps were far too big with too many nondescript buildings. There is no flow like you had on most of the COD4 maps.

The new perks and killstreaks altered the gameplay significantly to the point where all the stuff I had learned on COD4 was useless. I was excellent at controlling and protecting areas in COD4; moving after each kill but within the same part of the map. I just could not do that on MW2 and just ended up dying again and again. It was just no fun. In two days (in MP), I have had two games where I actually did well and one of those was the first game I played. The rest have just been spawn-die, spawn-kill-die.

The lag problems and lack of local host selection is so frustrating also seeing as COD5 had a fix for that. One US player wrecks the lobby for the other 11 UK players. Shooting people full in the chest but have them still come and shoot you seconds after is no fun.

I wanted to love this game so much, just as I do COD4. But dying, to me, is no fun. Dying randomly especially so. I know some people don't care about kill/death ratios, but I do.

I've sold it now, so I don't have to worry about it any more and will concentrate on COD4 again. Luckily, there are plenty of players still on that, so I can generally get a good game, especially if my old friends come and play too.

With this and Avatar (the film) being huge disappointments for me, the end of last year turned a bit shit media-wise.

So what makes you want to like them, and is it JRPGs, Western, strategy, or something else?

I like the idea of a huge sprawling world, interweaving stories, loot and weapon upgrades. I love the idea of forming a squad that I can engage and execute tactical orders with. I really don't want any JRPG stuff, I think I grew out of that kind of thing when I was 15, but more than anything I want well crafted combat, that works 1:1 in terms of my inputs.

All Metal Gear Solid games

All Zelda games

All RPG's

Anything that has an opening cut scene longer than five minutes. In fact any title that takes me out of the game to tell a bit of pointless story. If I want a great story I'll read a book or watch a film as they will inevitably do a better job of it.

These days I could say the topic title refers to all games for me now. After many years of it being one of my biggest hobbies (back when I could afford it I would regularly blow £3-5k on it a year) I now struggle to sit down and get past the start menu. I didn't buy a single game last year and with the possible exception of The Last Guardian it will probably be another lean year in 2010. The annoying thing is I'm still addicted to buying the bloody hardware.

Actually Joyrex's avatar reminded me... I don't really get along with shmups, I played a lot of the earlier games like R-Type, Xenon II and the 19XX stuff but somehow just got bored of them or realised I didn't really enjoy them somehow. The bullet dodge ones I just find incredibly un-fun, too precise and a lot of dying ('cos I'm shit). Same with Metal Slug to a degree, I find it quite fun and like the animation and that in it but I generally don't ever play it in the "proper" way of paying attention to all the bullets and stuff, I just sort of run through it shooting stuff...

Also any ultra competitive on-line FPS, such as COD, MW, Halo, Counter Strike, et al. Just baffling why you'd endure being called a fucking fag by nine year olds in the pursuit of enjoyment. Also same problem as SF4, i.e. putting hundreds of hours in to be any good. I've got a huge pile of games to play here, I don't need or want to sink my life into a single game.

Agreed. When I've played MW2 online I get a certain thrill from getting a few kills in, but that's not often, I'll get 2 or 3 per round if I'm really lucky. Yet I really really want to like it, really want to be in there enjoying it. The only FPS I've managed to enjoy in recent years is QuakeLive, and I feel like I'm getting somewhere there. If only all FPSs online would be that enjoyable. And yes, every online FPS should replace the "ESRB does not rate online play" with "You will be called a fag cunt noob every 5 seconds during gameplay".

All the Zeldas ever.

Same... apart from Windwaker. I loved, loved, loved, Windwaker. All the others I've started to play but just can't be arsed after I realise it's just the same game again. I'm looking at YOU specifically, Twilight Princess with your "innovative Wiimote fishing mechanic".

Any RPG with random battles.

I can't fucking stand it when you're trying to explore and then you hit some invisible enemy... then going to the bog standard battle scene. It really pisses me off. I love reading about how much love and energy has gone into them, but as soon as there's a random battle involved, I switch it off.

Later 2D beat-em-ups, in particular SNK ones. And Mortal Kombat.

There was a certain point with 2D fighters that I just stopped getting it. It was when you had to know 20+ button presses in order to get a finisher combo. It just moved from the enjoyable beat em up (with a few hidden moves) like Street Fighter II, to having to know every single fucking hidden combo like Killer Instinct. A quote for a combo move in Killer Instinct from Gamefaqs-

Ultra 25 hit combo: B,F,2,B,1,F,F,1,D,5,F,F,3,pause,F,F,3

That's the sort of shit that I really, really can't stand. Who the fuck is going to learn that?

I really wanted to get into them, but it seemed like having to study for an exam.

Ultima

Maybe similar to the random battles one, but I remember reading with jealousy about the Ultima games.. when I just had a lowly spectrum. Then I finally got the chance to play them, and god they were fucking boring.

Anything that has an opening cut scene longer than five minutes. In fact any title that takes me out of the game to tell a bit of pointless story. If I want a great story I'll read a book or watch a film as they will inevitably do a better job of it.

:quote:

Ghostbusters on the 360. I got it for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, and for the first 20 minutes I was grinning from ear to ear; after an hour I was bored to tears...

To be fair, that is actually shit.

I guess the top of my list would be JRPG's. Very rarely does one break through for me, I think the last one was Lost Odyssey. Even that turned into everything I hate about he genre, whinny cliched characters, far too many random battles. The random battles are what destory's these types of games for me. I want to explore, next thing I know I'm stuck in a battle that I don't want to be in and achieve nothing from it. It just feels, to me, a genre that is scared of trying new things. I thought FFXIII maybe the breakway title but that seems to have taken 2 steps back

Not really. It's actually a bit messy and clumsy. I find the childish presentation of war mildly revolting, too.

Surely though it's just an abstraction of warfare. Do you find Risk, which boils down the bloody business of war into a load of plastic pieces on a card map similarly revolting?

I mean the "dude" character in Advance Wars DS did push it, but I never really had too much of a problem with the presentation. It was suitably bright, cop & robbers bullshit - the games were never intended to make any serious social commentary on the role of war.

I don't see what he said as an IMMEDIATE facepalm. Then again, I'm one of those people who holds arcade experiences like Crazy Taxi in very high regard. I like GAMES.

Unlike him I also like my cinematic experiences too, but sometimes I'm in the mood for one, and sometimes the other - so I can see his point of view.

Fine, you disagree with it but it wasn't a reactionary comment from me. I think games do certain things very well (much better than films and books) but I've never come across a game where I've felt the story has surpassed, or is equal to, that of cinema or literature. Without derailing this thread I have played many of the games that people hold up as having great stories and they've never done anything for me. Most are either unoriginal and poorly written at best.

Anyway, as you can see in the post you quoted, I was talking about games that don't effectively integrate story into the game. The ones, like MGS, that let you play for five minutes and then have a cut scene you have no control over. I hate anything that actually stops me playing and interacting with the game.

Oblivion - I grew to really like Fallout 3 but despite two different attempts I just can't get into this. The dialogue and characters are terrible, the world is cliched and sterile, the levelling up system feels like I'm trying to break the game to contain its idiocy, the lore is tedious, the combat is unsatisfying. I can see hints of greatness here and there but I just can't be bothered with it. It feels too much like a chore

Any game with random battles - Oh look this looks like a nice area, I wonder what's over there.....screen dissolves suddenly, in random battle arena for the 5th time in 3 minutes. FUCK OFF. Stop interrupting me with no warning you pricks.

Devil May Cry, Bayonetta etc I need something more to my games than just trying to string together huge combos in fighting arenas

Crackdown I did actually like this enough to complete it, but after the first island it started to feel like a samey slog. The missions just weren't very good and it has the same old missions type that so many unimaginative sandbox games do - collectathons, races etc....the jumping about was fun but I was relieved when it ended if I'm honest.

Katamari Series - Just don't find them fun or exciting or anything really. I like the imagination and all the stuff outside the actual game, but once I start playing I'm incredibly bored.

Halo series - Just find them too hollow. I'm not the biggest fan of FPS anyway, but if I play one I want there to be some kind of hook, either in terms of settings, mechanics or concept. I don't find any hook in Halo.