2010 FIFA World Cup

SnoopZakaDaVe

Got this today after taking up the HMV FIFA 10 trade in offer. Just had a quick go and first impressions are that it's superb! The presentation is great and one thing I have really noticed that EA have cranked up since FIFA 10 is the sound - the chants and commentary are much better in this. I really like the summary screen after the game showing the players in formation with their ratings next to them - looks good.

Penalty kicks are interesting with the new method - the first couple I skied well over the bar before I got the hang of the timing with the composure bar.

This is going to be a very enjoyable game of footie! Free World Cup book is ace too!

(online multiplayer)This game is a big pile of steaming dog shit :coffee: I'm going to have to stop playing before I put my controller through the wall. My fucking defenders will not stay back no matter what custom tactics I use. Controlling the ball takes so long, even a 1 star team has dispossessed you before you can pass it. Also when playing the world cup mode beware people using low ranked teams, they press you all match and lob through balls constantly that seem to get through way too easily and then do the classic cut back goal, even when 1 on 1, the'll pass it backwards 20 out yards and tap shoot, the goalies will spaz out and it'll fly in.

Two times out of ten you'll get a great game online, but too often the huge flaws are so obvious. It feels like Fifa 10 but with the faults x100. The game will make you miss place a pass on the halfway line, your defenders will suddenly not want to start moving, little dude from Korea is through and has square it to score, a stupid fucking dance and the controller is ready to be thrown.

How can EA fuck up so bad? 09 was near perfect and with Konami looking like they've completely lost the plot I'm stuck for a footy game. Offline is not an option for me either as personally it bores me.

Playing with friends offline seems to be great and I'll keep it for that I guess. So frustrated, can't remember a game frustrating me this badly.

Feel better now I've vented and the controller is safe, for now.

(online multiplayer)This game is a big pile of steaming dog shit :facepalm: I'm going to have to stop playing before I put my controller through the wall. My fucking defenders will not stay back no matter what custom tactics I use. Controlling the ball takes so long, even a 1 star team has dispossessed you before you can pass it. Also when playing the world cup mode beware people using low ranked teams, they press you all match and lob through balls constantly that seem to get through way too easily and then do the classic cut back goal, even when 1 on 1, the'll pass it backwards 20 out yards and tap shoot, the goalies will spaz out and it'll fly in.

Two times out of ten you'll get a great game online, but too often the huge flaws are so obvious. It feels like Fifa 10 but with the faults x100. The game will make you miss place a pass on the halfway line, your defenders will suddenly not want to start moving, little dude from Korea is through and has square it to score, a stupid fucking dance and the controller is ready to be thrown.

How can EA fuck up so bad? 09 was near perfect and with Konami looking like they've completely lost the plot I'm stuck for a footy game. Offline is not an option for me either as personally it bores me.

Playing with friends offline seems to be great and I'll keep it for that I guess. So frustrated, can't remember a game frustrating me this badly.

100% agree.

As good as the single player is, like you say, it's started to bore me too. I've played single player for the last 2 days with no online games, and it is good, but it's just too artificial. Had one game in online world cup tonight, my Japan vs their Germany (just for a change!), got beat 5-3. Ridiculous score lines prevail, clean sheets are seldom, it's a total arcade fest. If that's what you want then great. It's odd because the single player game is the exact opposite, tight games where you really have to work for a goal, online is a farce. Extremely frustrating.

As I said, online is completely shit. Stop playing altogether, empty their servers! :facepalm:

Bring a friend and play a decent co-op in single player, much more fun.

Although in many cases the cheating is blatantly obvious and the physical play destroys any sense of realism, the overall experience is much better.

(online multiplayer)This game is a big pile of steaming dog shit :facepalm: I'm going to have to stop playing before I put my controller through the wall. My fucking defenders will not stay back no matter what custom tactics I use. Controlling the ball takes so long, even a 1 star team has dispossessed you before you can pass it. Also when playing the world cup mode beware people using low ranked teams, they press you all match and lob through balls constantly that seem to get through way too easily and then do the classic cut back goal, even when 1 on 1, the'll pass it backwards 20 out yards and tap shoot, the goalies will spaz out and it'll fly in.

100% Disagree

When i play a lower rank team and they try to play the long ball game, i switch to ultra defensive and start cutting them out with long headers back into midfield. It's frustrating as they keep trying but soon you'll find that they'll get pissed off with the packed out defence and try to pass it about. That's when i switch to attacking and try and get the fucker down the wings. SWP is amazing when i'm playing it wide.

As for the cut back goals, think twice about rushing the keeper. I tend to leave it till they get closer in this, it gives me time to move my defender in the way of the other attacker.

As for ball control, i'm really surprised to read that it's not working out for you. I just finished my review and one of the comments i made was that ball control has been improved. The only thing that seems different, is turning on the ball, which has been made harder. This cheered me right up as the amount of goals score in FIFA10 where the attacker would just turn a defender and there was nothing you could do about it was just shit. This doesn't have that.

Just picked this up, I was waiting for a big price drop but with all the love it's getting I caved. After falling for them on a Footbal Manager save, my first world cup will be with Uruguay.

As has it become a custom of mine to upload my first goal on a new game, here it is:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19809428

I did then score this peach of a goal in the same game:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19810130

Forlan went on to complete his hat-trick.

and sorry to anyone following me on twitter for the game by game update you've had to put up with of my first world cup. :hat:

The only thing that seems different, is turning on the ball, which has been made harder. This cheered me right up as the amount of goals score in FIFA10 where the attacker would just turn a defender and there was nothing you could do about it was just shit. This doesn't have that.

I like the sound of that, fingers crossed for fifa 11.

Infact thats probably why I felt the demo was a bit more wooden than fifa 10, if that makes sense :hat:

I like the sound of that, fingers crossed for fifa 11.

Infact thats probably why I felt the demo was a bit more wooden than fifa 10, if that makes sense :)

They should do Online Cup mode though for sure. It's been a wonderful gaming experience. Less people quitting out. REALLY tense matches. It's been fantastic.

The online World Cup is brilliant, but I'm starting to feel like the Dutch do now. 6 semi final exits and two final defeats, one quarter final. I just cannot get over the finishing line. The worst had to be going 2 nil up in the final with Ivory Coast, two identical Drogba bullet headers, only to lose 3 2 with a minute left. I'm hooked on this, but im never gonna win it.

The online World Cup is brilliant, but I'm starting to feel like the Dutch do now. 6 semi final exits and two final defeats, one quarter final. I just cannot get over the finishing line. The worst had to be going 2 nil up in the final with Ivory Coast, two identical Drogba bullet headers, only to lose 3 2 with a minute left. I'm hooked on this, but im never gonna win it.

It does bring out some arse hole gameplay though. Played a guy who was 1-0 up and every time i would go 1 on 1 with his keeper his last defender would just take me out. He only got yellows too which made it worse.

That and they tend to pass along the back 4 all the fucking time too.

For anyone on here who has played through the qualifying campaign and got through to the world cup, have you experienced this;

After the world cup draw, you are asked to pick your 23 man squad for the finals.

When you get to the squad screen with your 1st team listed, about half of the names are missing, and next to the non existent name is their overall rating, which has now increased to 160000 ish.

Continue to the world cup, you then get the option of selecting your squad, etc, before the match. Your players with no names have now been automatically replaced with other players from your squad, and your 1st team players have gone completely.

Try to continue to the actual game and the screen turns black, the game has crashed and the ps3 has to be reset back to the home screen.

Basically, you cannot enter the world cup after qualifying.

It's now happened twice to me, once with Croatia and once with Japan. If you play all of the friendlies it takes a long time, and I'm pretty fucked off about it at the moment. Anyone else?

Bought this yesterday but only played online today for the first time.

First game against England as Bosnia. I went with the standard Bosnian formation looking to use Dzeko's wonderful link play with Misimovic and Ibisevic to undo the defence and play through the defence since I was expecting a Fifa 10 style Blitzkrieg from my opponent in advance.

He went 5-0-5. Suspicious. I kicked off and had a lovely passing move straight away, pulled him all over the shop as he pressed like I expected. A good save from Robert Green kept out my attack though. The resulting corner came to nothing. He played the ball out, it went to Gerrard who played a lofted through ball and Agbonlahor tore away from my defence at a pace that was barely believable. Finesse shot from 18 yards, goal.

I kicked off, he pressed and won the ball. To Gerrard, through ball, Agbonlahor, finesse shot, goal.

I quit to dashboard never to play the game online again.

A fucking disgrace. Hopefully the single player is decent.

It's now happened twice to me, once with Croatia and once with Japan. If you play all of the friendlies it takes a long time, and I'm pretty fucked off about it at the moment. Anyone else?

It's not happened to me, but after picking the squad it forces me to save the game (360). If it does that on the PS3, you could try multiple times to see if it always happens?

Two irrelevant things (to your bug, at any rate) I noticed today. If you play as South Africa, you play the qualifiers (as you should) and if you fail, you still make it. I half expected a game over, so that was nice.

On the other hand, the draw was a touch buggered, as I got drawn with Ivory Coast and Paraguay were in the same group as Brazil. Tsk.

It's not happened to me, but after picking the squad it forces me to save the game (360). If it does that on the PS3, you could try multiple times to see if it always happens?

I am playing on PS3. I don't think it forces you to save, but I have saved both games at this point anyway. The fact that it's happened twice with different teams suggests it's a bug doesn't it?

There's no way I'm playing all the way through a qualifying campaign again, only to come to the same conclusion. The Japan campaign took me effing ages! Looking on the Fifa forum suggests that bugs are starting to appear all over the place, thers a ton of complaints about cheating A.I., which I can only agree with.

Probably gonna trade this in next weekend, shame. It started off with a lot of potential, but it's got too many problems for me now.

Bought this yesterday but only played online today for the first time.

First game against England as Bosnia. I went with the standard Bosnian formation looking to use Dzeko's wonderful link play with Misimovic and Ibisevic to undo the defence and play through the defence since I was expecting a Fifa 10 style Blitzkrieg from my opponent in advance.

He went 5-0-5. Suspicious. I kicked off and had a lovely passing move straight away, pulled him all over the shop as he pressed like I expected. A good save from Robert Green kept out my attack though. The resulting corner came to nothing. He played the ball out, it went to Gerrard who played a lofted through ball and Agbonlahor tore away from my defence at a pace that was barely believable. Finesse shot from 18 yards, goal.

I kicked off, he pressed and won the ball. To Gerrard, through ball, Agbonlahor, finesse shot, goal.

I quit to dashboard never to play the game online again.

A fucking disgrace. Hopefully the single player is decent.

@fifaqutters is watching!

For anyone on here who has played through the qualifying campaign and got through to the world cup, have you experienced this;

After the world cup draw, you are asked to pick your 23 man squad for the finals.

When you get to the squad screen with your 1st team listed, about half of the names are missing, and next to the non existent name is their overall rating, which has now increased to 160000 ish.

Continue to the world cup, you then get the option of selecting your squad, etc, before the match. Your players with no names have now been automatically replaced with other players from your squad, and your 1st team players have gone completely.

Try to continue to the actual game and the screen turns black, the game has crashed and the ps3 has to be reset back to the home screen.

Basically, you cannot enter the world cup after qualifying.

It doesn't happen only in squad selection screen of the world cup. It's a corrupt save bug and it has appeared to me twice, in regular season.

I think it has something to do with the autosave and the way the data is linked to your profile. I had experienced it in FIFA 10 too.

So much for playtesting, eh?

I'm enjoying this but I can't stand the hidden catch-up for the team that conceeds a goal so they get a 50/50 chance of scoring straight after they conceed a goal. You have to knock the ball out of play or foul them just to ride the storm and then it goes back to normal.

It also still does the thing where it slows down your defenders if you're not the chosen one. It feels like they have a bungee rope tied to them where it holds them back until the attacker gets past with a through ball or a pass and then snap the defenders run like normal.

It's so much better than FIFA10 but it doesn't have to balance of the old Pro Evos so a rubbish player can hold their own and fluke and steal wins by aid of their computer controlled players and plays. It's highly annoying when you get knocked out of the online World Cup when you lose to cheap goals etc so you have to go through the group stages again.

I finally got this, and did about 3-4 hours on it yesterday, all online.

It's much, much, much better than FIFA 10, isn't it? Some matches still turn into packed midfield pinball rubbishness, but less so than FIFA 10 - and most of the annoying issues such as endless stumbling and defenders continually letting passes through their legs are largely gone. FIFA 10's annoying passing is hugely improved for me, although there's still the odd bizarre pass selection. Player selection is still iffy: the number of times I continually hammered on the left bumper trying to get the best-placed defender was a little worrying. But overall it confirms my initial expectations that this would be the game FIFA 10 should have been. It takes the great parts of 10 and streamlines them, and removes many of the annoying aspects. FIFA 11 should be great.

I really like the online world cup thing too - lovely touch, that. I've been using Greece, and it's a bit annoying when every single person uses Brazil, Spain or England, and all they have to do is hit hopeful through balls beyond my statuesque defenders. Getting control of a CB early on and tracking the run yourself is key here, but the iffy player selection doesn't help. Still, using a poorer team makes the wins sweeter. I'd almost forgotten what a bunch of win at all costs imbeciles the online community is.

Does anyone know how to do penalties? I've had about four, and blazed every single one, even when I thought I'd stopped the bar in the green.

Does anyone know how to do penalties? I've had about four, and blazed every single one, even when I thought I'd stopped the bar in the green.

The bar is just composure, the actual placing and power are seperate. You basically hit the shot button when the bar is in the green, hold for required shot power and then hold the stick in the desired direction for placement. Fiddly at first.

It's worth doing the tutorial on penalties with the placement indicator turned on to see how sensitive the stick movement is.

The bar is just composure, the actual placing and power are seperate. You basically hit the shot button when the bar is in the green, hold for required shot power and then hold the stick in the desired direction for placement. Fiddly at first.

It's worth doing the tutorial on penalties with the placement indicator turned on to see how sensitive the stick movement is.

Thanks. Should really have RTFM I guess.

Player selection is still iffy: the number of times I continually hammered on the left bumper trying to get the best-placed defender was a little worrying.

Right stick, Willy. That's what you need. It's still not perfect but allows actual control over who you're going to get, instead of picking one itself.

It works by taking your currently selected guy as a starting point and picking the guy in the direction you push from there.

Player selection is still iffy: the number of times I continually hammered on the left bumper trying to get the best-placed defender was a little worrying.

Always been a problem for FIFA and it's one of the very few things that PES does better. Also, as Dognuts says, make sure you do the penalty tutorial.