2010 FIFA World Cup

SnoopZakaDaVe

Miner, old bean - you tried the demo of this? Interested to hear your opinion, for me this is at least as big a leap as '08 to Euro '08.

Yep. Really, really enjoyed it - but obviously the big test is how it plays in multiplayer. As I may have mentioned once or twice, I really didn't like FIFA 10 in 1v1, but this seems to have ironed out my issues, and plays a lovely, slick game of footie. I don't know if the multiplayer will be affected by the niggly problems that 10 is, but right now it feels, as you say, like a decent jump forwards. Fingers crossed.

I'm definitely picking it up, although I may wait a few weeks if there's no supermarket deal.

Your explanation makes sense to me. But regardless of whether it is a) a stupid system, or b ) a badly explained one, I really couldn't care less about this 'flaw'.

That's because you don't play single player.

There are people who still play single player, although we are a minority these days. :wacko:

That's because you don't play single player.

There are people who still play single player, although we are a minority these days. :wacko:

You're right that I don't play single player, but it wouldn't bother me anyway. This sort of thing just doesn't wind me up, that's all.

I play single player almost exclusively (the occasional bout against my mate/brother, or the Rllmuk league, are the only multiplayer ventures), and don't particularly mind the flaw if it doesn't rear its head in ugly ways. There are plenty of other single player gripes in the last FIFA, such as the lack of variation in AI play with different teams, or worse still the baffling decision to not allow countries playing a Spring-Winter season (Ireland, Norway, Sweden) to qualify for Europe rendering careers there stifling.

At least the World Cup game, focussed as it is on one tournament in a format where virtually every game matters, there'll be less such issues. The repetitive AI grates more when the game is one of 38 identikit matches. When there's something to play for, I tend not to notice.

Aw, don't tell me that they didn't bother putting in the full qualification process? Malaysia lost in the first round, I presume the game starts from the third where the groups kick in.

Random teams are going to be fun in this. My mate and I select our teams by hitting the random button three times and choosing from what we're given. Lots of scope for turds here.

Actually, can anyone with the game tell me what round each of the confederations start their qualifying in? I assume (from the above post) it's the group stages in each, which means Europe and South America are full, Africa starts in the second round, Asia and North America the third. Oceania could be first or second round, there's no guarantee they'll use the first as it was a separate competition.

Random teams are going to be fun in this. My mate and I select our teams by hitting the random button three times and choosing from what we're given. Lots of scope for turds here.

Thats what I do when I play online with mates.

Spain vs The Cook Islands should be a classic. :D

I had Azerbaijan versus my mate's Spain in Euro 2008. He wasn't as good at the game as he is these days so it wasn't as good a challenge, but great fun. I beat him soundly, and hit the bar three times. Well, his bar twice, and I hit my own bar with a fluffled clearance from the edge of my own area. Added giggles.

I'd be a real blow though if I can't use these weak teams in qualifying at all. I may have to shift allegiances to Turkmenistan.

I think someone said it'll be cheap at Tescos in this thread but they weren't sure about the validity of the link that claimed it. Tesco's site isn't loading for me either. I'd love to not pay more than £30 for this. Probably gonna trade Fifa 10 in for it.

Answering my own question, I know, but according to posts here:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/world-c...up-24-99-a.html

This will be going for £24.99 at Morrisons, hopefully other supermarkets will follow suit and maybe even push the price even lower.

Quote from above:

Hi just thought i wouldd tell you this. I work at morrisons on the audio department and i can confirm that 2010 Fifa World Cup will be £24.99 only on the PS3 and Xbox 360. So expect Tescos and asda to probably do the same.

Cheers,

Ryan

Bit disappointed with this, while my country (Malaysia) is in the game, they don't appear as a selectable country to use in qualifying or Captain Your Country. WTF EA. :P

I looked into this. Seems if you set up a custom World Cup qualifying instead of the "real" one, you can play as Malaysia or any other team that didn't get that far for real. Presumably you still get to keep things as they were, only shuffling teams about rather than having to recreate it exactly. Why they omitted the early qualifying rounds is baffling, but there you go.

Dunno if that applies to Captain Your Country, but fingers crossed.

I looked into this. Seems if you set up a custom World Cup qualifying instead of the "real" one, you can play as Malaysia or any other team that didn't get that far for real. Presumably you still get to keep things as they were, only shuffling teams about rather than having to recreate it exactly. Why they omitted the early qualifying rounds is baffling, but there you go.

Yeah, you can select custom fixtures in both and replace any team with Y.

Looks like just the final group. When you click start in both 'Full' and 'Qualifying' type with custom fixtures, there's still only four teams to choose from (Fiji, New Caledonia, New Zealand and Vanuatu).

They're be the four that qualified for the final group. So you're saying you can't stick American Samoa in there in a custom setup?

You're a star, I'm going to have to try this tonight. I presume you don't get achievements for custom cups?

Also, did anyone manage to import their gameface from FIFA 10 yet? The download keeps failing for me.

You can. I meant that there are four team spaces, but you can change any of them.

Phew! The absence of the South Pacific Games is a bit disappointing, more so than the knockout rounds of other confederations (as it's a full group stage) but at least I can still lead minnows to glory.

Also, everyone needs to be India. They have a midfielder called Climax Lawrence. Reason enough.

I couldn't care less about playing the CPU seems like a massive waste of gaming time. I can't see why anyone would bother when you can play online? Looking forward to this and hope they've fix the virtual coin toss!