IGNORED

New Cup Format

mackenie

Leave it as it is. Nothing wrong with it now, to be fair.

It's not about what it is wrong, it's about what can be enhanced.

If things stayed as they currently are, it'd not be a problem.

The reason why competitions are based on current season positions, rather than last season performance, was to keep things simple and easy to manage when the cups were manually organised.

The website now takes about 95% of the labour out of running the cups, allowing a bit more complexity without drowning the admin in extra work.

As mack suggested (and how we usually get the numbers 'right'), have a pre-lim round for some of the teams.

Does that mean a knock out round for some players to get to the group stages? So after that knock out round it is narrowed down from 24 to 16 for the groups?

I would say stick all the champions in the champions league to make it fitting. The only issue is, in your initial outline you didnt put the LC winner straight into the Champions league next season?

Plus you have to remember even though they won there leagues with lesser teams, the teams they will be using the following season are going to be better so Jamin will have a championship team, donnie will have a premierleague team etc etc and where ever the other lads who are up for re-evaluation end up.

I suppose the people to ask about such things is Prime, Lily and Smithstock, whether they would like the challenge of the CL or just stick in the EC.

we haven't even played the play off yet! ;) thanks for the vote of confidence steely...

its not broke, making it more like the real life group stages of the CL would be immense i think. Think of going into the final week of group stages what results will determine who goes through etc... then the draw with all top spots playing 2nd in other groups for a KO. I'd love it if this was the case, makes it better than a single KO for every cup.

GROUPS GROUPS GROUPS!

Wincho, what in particular don't you like about it? Just the basic concept?

Just don't see the point in changing the current format. I like it how it is and don't see why we are changing it.

If we are then the idea in itself looks sound and it'll get my support

firstly its not necessary to change it guys, but after mike suggested it to make the cup competitions a bit more interesting than i thought i would elaborate on the idea, i enjoyed coming up with this and it's not gonna be a problem if it doesnt get passed, but i personally think it would be a shame as it does give alot of depth to the cups, if theres something people dont like about it let me know. The only person thats really gave me bad feeback has been dave (happy to get it), everyone else has just said 'whats the point' etc, so please let me know how you would like it to be and if it should stay the same, why? Wincho if i dont manage to convince you over the next few days you will get your say in the vote buddy, btw the vote will most likely be on a couple of different things, the qualification and wether it should be group stages, incase there was a perticular part you didn't like.

i will be submitting this proposal today if anyone has any last mintue comments.

Apologies not kept up with this but does this proposal mean those in the lower leagues are now only in one cup competition. Before we had the League Cup and Intertoto not just the Intertoto? or have I missed something obvious which wouldn't surprise me.

lol - I know but I am waiting for Saint to point out the thread I should have read which in this case can only be about a page ago. I really don't get this internets
Here is my proposal for a new qualification system for the Champions league, Europa cup and Intertoto cup, this would replace the cups partcipants just being from the same league.

First of all here are the stats for how many participants in each cup and where they would come from:

CL: 16 teams - 6 from Prem, 4 from Championship, 1 from leagues one, two, conference and rymans. Also CL winner and EC winner.

EC: 24 teams - 6 from Prem, 8 from championship, 6 from league one, 2 from league two and 1 from Conf, also IC winner.

IC: 6 from league one, 8 from league two and the rest of the participants from the last two leagues that arn't already mentioned, which could fluctuate depending on number of teams in a season.

The new qualification system is shows here – Cup qualification – this shows each of the finishing positons for all of the league and which cup it would get you into, as you can see there are 5 positions that are subject to change depending on who won the cups the previous year, if you follow the guidelines at the bottom of the chart it will show you how its worked out.

:)

Here is my proposal for a new qualification system for the Champions league, Europa cup and Intertoto cup, this would replace the cups partcipants just being from the same leagues.

First of all here are the stats for how many participants in each cup and where they would come from:

CL: 16 teams - 6 from Prem, 4 from Championship, 1 from leagues one, two, conference and rymans. Also CL winner and EC winner.

EC: 24 teams - 6 from Prem, 8 from championship, 6 from league one, 2 from league two and 1 from Conference, also IC winner.

IC: 6 from league one, 8 from league two and the rest of the participants from the last two leagues that arn't already mentioned, which could fluctuate depending on number of teams in a season.

The new qualification system is shows here - Cup qualification - this shows each of the finishing positons for all of the leagues and which cup it would get you into, as you can see there are 5 positions that are subject to change depending on who won the cups the previous year, if you follow the guidelines at the bottom of the chart it will show you how its worked out.

The new qualification system is shows here – link – this shows each of the finishing positons for all of the league and which cup it would get you into, as you can see there are 5 positions that are subject to change depending on who won the cups the previous year, if you follow the guidelines at the bottom of the chart it will show you how its worked out.

The only issue not raised in the qualification chart is what to do with leavers and newcomers, first of all the finishing positions would be recorded for all of the leagues, then the leavers would be removed.

> There will now be some spaces throughout the leagues which will all need to be moved to the bottom of each league, to do this all of the players that have remained in the league are moved up until the spaces are at the bottom, this gives preference to the staying players over the newcomers. The last step is to put the newcomers into the spaces, this is done based on which league each of the newcomers are put into, with the highest spaces being filled by the newcomers in the highest league.

> Multi promoted chaps will be dealt with as follows: if they qualified for champions league or europa league – no change, if they qualified for intertoto cup - change unless they are moved into the championship, in which case they take a europa league spot.

The next part of my proposal is the possibility of implementing a group stage for each of the cup competitions:

Champions league:

> There are 16 teams that take part – the group stage would consist of 4 groups of 4, with the top two in each group going through, each team will play the other team twice but to keep the cup running smooth the home and away games with each oppenent will be played in the same fixture round.

> After the groups it will be the quarter finals, semi finals and the final, all matches after the group stages are single matches, with a replay then penalties if needed, this means the Champions league would be 6 rounds long.

Europa cup:

> 24 Teams take part in this competition, the group stage would consist of 6 groups of 4, with the top 2 from each group going through, each team will play the other team twice but to keep the cup running smooth the home and away games with each oppenent will be played in the same fixture round.

> The highest four group winners will progress into the quarter finals, this will be decided by points, goal difference, goals scored, coin flip. The other two group winners and the 6 group runners up will take part in round 4 of the cup, the four winners will then join the four teams already in the quarter finals, after this round there will also be the semi finals and the final.

> All matches after the group stages are single matches, with a replay then penalties if needed, this means the Europa cup would be 7 rounds long.

Intertoto cup:

> The participants in this cup are subject to change depending on how many people are signed up for the Rymans league, so there will be multiple ways the cup might work.

> If the Rymans has a full compliment then there will be 32 teams taking part, which will mean 8 groups of 4 teams with first and second place finishers going to the next round, if there are 10 teams in the Rymans then two of the eight groups will only have 3 teams in, but the top two will still progress to the next round, if there are 6 teams in the Rymans then there will be 5 groups of 4 teams and two groups of three teams, the top 2 teams will progress from each group, also the best two 3rd place finishes will also go through to the next round, this will be sorted by points, goal difference, goals scored, coin flip.

> Then there will be the 1st knockout stage with the 16 progressing teams, followed by the quarter finals, semi finals and finals.

All matches after the group stages are single matches, with a replay then penalties if needed, this means the Europa cup would be 7 rounds long.

Seedings for the group stages - this is something that may or may not be good for the cups, so this will be voted on seperatly from the main proposal, the seeding numbers on the qualifiaction chart are put in order for each cup, there are 4 pots A to D and the number of groups is the number of teams put into each pot. So for the champions league the first 4 teams in seeding order go into pot A, the next 4 pot B, the next 4 pot C and the last 4 pot D. The random draw takes place with one person from each pot into each group, in the case of the intertoto cup pot D may have less numbers in, whch means some of the groups are drawn with only 3 teams.

Well there it is, long but not too complicated and hopefully it wil be something that can be implemented into the league, one more thing that needs to be considered is if this system gets implemented, do we put it inplace for this coming season, meaning last seasons positions will decide the cups.

:wub:

That's some dossier there mack.

I'll be brutally honest, it's far too long for me to even consider reading, but I'm sure it's tops and look forward to hearing the result of the steering group...