IGNORED

Vanquish

Vemsie

I'm assuming you played through the tutorial? The dodge then slow time thing is pure amazing. It's like you can jump out of the way and, while still crouching, put it into slow mo and shoot fuck out of the baddy while looking cool as.

I'm the first person to not get right into fighting games that with extremely deep combat systems... this one doesn't strike me as particularly deep - it's just all set up to make you look really really cool.

and you smoke too.

The best bit is when so much is going on you realise you've gone crosseyed and you find yourself wanting to use slow-mo time when queuing up in Subway.

This is all the the bits.

I want to slide backwards across the office shooting everyone... it would be cool

I hate fighting games, but this is pretty much a third-person shooter with all the depth and complexity of a fighter. The best thing about it is the fact that you can showboat – a really good player isn’t just clinically taking down the enemies like an accountant with a gun, but toying with them like a steel kitten on military combat drugs.

I'm assuming you played through the tutorial? The dodge then slow time thing is pure amazing. It's like you can jump out of the way and, while still crouching, put it into slow mo and shoot fuck out of the baddy while looking cool as.

I played a couple of hours (maybe less) or so of it, I can't remember. I dunno, it just didn't appeal to me at all. I expected it to, I went out and a bought a second hand copy to give it a whirl.

I feel like i'm missing something. It all seemed a bit weightless and lacking in impact to me.

I'm not really criticising it though, just saying I didn't connect with it at all.

Smitty - You should try starting a new game and giving it a bit more time to grab you. The fun really starts once you're comfortable enough with all of the mechanics to start thinking creatively.

You can slow things down while you dodge but also whenever you're airborne, like when you're jumping over cover. Jumping over cover into slowmo into sniper rifle was a favourite of mine.

Just randomly picked this up for super cheap. I wasn't too blown away by the demo but reading this thread and other stuff, and thinking how much I loved Bayonetta, I thought I might as well. Any pointers for a new player?

My advice for you is this: dont think of Vanquish as TPS in the vein of Gears,

Think of it as a bullet-hell 2D shooter. The point is not to finish the game, but to rinse every stage for all its got.

Only then the enemy and cover placement makes sense. otherwise you better off playing something else IMO.

Do you mean play for score? Because I don't think that's the best way to approach this. The most important thing is to play with style - be creative, take risks, experiment.

Playing with style and experimenting is part of playing for score IMO. Playing to improve your score/time will involve trying new things and experiment, at least it does for me.

One example: in the demo area where you fight the giant spider/robot, you can use the sniper rifle while slowing down time, which will expose a weak point in middle of the robot head for massive damage. the weak point doesnt show up with any other weapon, it has to be sniper rifle.

Also, practical advice: stun greades are your greatest ally. while sliding, throw a stun, keep sliding behind the enemy back, shotgun to the back. this will take down those huge fuckers with the tanks on the back that are otherwise hard as nails.

Edit: some crazy play for the demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpYWRIFmRcU

And done. That was simply the best game I've ever played, and I've played loads including Resident Evil 4. Anyone who was involved in making it should be proud.

I'm going to buy Godhand and Revengance next I think and sell the other games. They aren't really games are they?

Awesome. Play it on Hard if you didn't already.

OK so shame time, I love Platinums stuff but I've never played Vanquish, I bought the 360 version on release day, supported them etc but never actually played it. This has always annoyed me so today, finally, I played through the lot in one go, on normal....on the Playstation 3 (I still have my 360 one but downloaded it randomly on PS3 due to PS Plus)

Anyway not much I can say other than UTTERLY FUCKING FANTASTIC!

Of course I knew I'd like it but man what a game. So stylish and cool as fuck. Of course I will go back to it (and probably play the 360 one too :D ) but man I'm so glad I finally got my arse in gear and played it. Mikami and Platinum Games, I bow down to you good sirs :hug: I will never get bored of the 'smoke behind cover' move. Boss. What really impressed me was the enemy AI, they made no bones about flanking me and meleeing the shit out of me. Utter cunts but so much fun to keep you on your toes.

What makes me laugh is I remember a few reviewers going on about how much they disliked Vanquish because it was 'too japanese' or whatever the fuck. After playing the disappointing Dead Space 3 and the god fuck awful Aliens Colonial Marines there was nothing I needed more than a little bit of Platinum Games sunshine :wub: Roll on Friday for Metal Gear Rising!

I've just played the first hour of this... why did this not sell a million billion copies????? It's astonishing!

Another question might be 'why are you only playing it now?'

It's a similar reason why a cracking film like Dredd doesn't find an audience - people who should be/are its natural audience not bothering to check it out until it's in the bargain bins 18 months later/on DVD. The general public can point to a lack of advertising, certainly, but anyone who regularly posts in Discussion has no such excuse because those of us who did play it extolled its virtues, only to fall on deaf ears.

Seriously, it's crap seeing a developer as good as Platinum get mediocre sales and zero buzz while people who should know better queue up like morons on day one to get whatever overhyped piece of shit CoD-style megabucks nonsense Activision/EA/Ubisoft are peddling this month.

Aye I bought mine on release day (had it preordered) but never got round to playing it until yesterday. Certain things came into play such as family circumstances at the time (and not playing many games) but I'm so happy I supported them at actual release :D Game is most certainly worth it.