Xbox Live To Drop Original Xbox Support This April

Uzi

I don't know. I put Halo 2 when the announcement was made to try downloading the maps, but apart from that I've not played either that or any BC games for a long time. Street Fighter III a few years ago, something like that.

I call shenanigans! I've played loads of BC titles on Live, including Halo 2 a couple of times and also 3rd Strike and Chaos Theory! And I even accidentally purchased an Xbox Original title! And I didn't get any such e-mail! And you got one for faffing about trying to get some free maps for a bit years ago? :(

There is no justice in this world!

Indeed. Combined with the newness of Live it was certainly something that had to be experienced at that moment in time, similarly to Rainbow Six 3; those early days will never be experienced again.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've made any real 'friends' on Xbox Live since those days. I used to enjoy going into random lobbies, meeting new people and just generally having a laugh on games like Rainbow Six. Those days were certainly the highlights of my time spent gaming, probably 50% of my friends list is made up of people I met back then and even 5 years later I still play with most of them now and again.

Definitely true. I remember when Live was first released; I used to play MotoGP and Mechassault constantly. Everyone you ran into was, well, nice. It was very rare you ran into any twats. Even though you ran into stoned people etc. they were usually just funny.

Not since the release of the 360 have I turned on a Live game and had 1) all players in the lobby talking and 2) none of them be yelling obscenities.

PGR2 as well as Microsoft's whole XSN Sports initiative was really creative. Great at the time; it's a shame EA made them close it all down.

I think Halo 2 was the watershed. When it started out, it was all good happy fun, and as the months passed more and more assholes appeared until it was thick with cheaters and loud-mouthed idiots. Thank God for the banhammer.

A mate of mine who is messing around with the possibilities of Jtag just informed me that playing 360 games from a USB HDD (like the Wii USB loader) now also apparently works with XBox originals. Not only that (and this is where it gets interesting) the emulator used for Xbox Originals has apparently been hacked (or whatever you call it) and they're working on getting XBox games to work on it that Microsoft never bothered to include in the BC list for various reasons. It would be brilliant if those smart nerds got games like Strangers Wrath working properly on the 360!

A mate of mine who is messing around with the possibilities of Jtag just informed me that playing 360 games from a USB HDD (like the Wii USB loader) now also apparently works with XBox originals. Not only that (and this is where it gets interesting) the emulator used for Xbox Originals has apparently been hacked (or whatever you call it) and they're working on getting XBox games to work on it that Microsoft never bothered to include in the BC list for various reasons. It would be brilliant if those smart nerds got games like Strangers Wrath working properly on the 360!

<citation needed>

More info please. Any links?
<citation needed>

Heh, it's not something I read somewhere but what he told me. he's been messing around with his Jtagged 360 for a few weeks now. What he told me about running Xbox Originals from a USB HDD sounded plausible enough (especially since running 360 games from a USB HDD has been possible for a while now) but if they have indeed cracked the Xbox Originals emulator then it stands to reason that 1337 hobbyists would try and see if it's possible to make more Xbox games BC on Jtag'ed 360s. Doesn't mean that they will actually succeed though, but I love the fact that modders and hackers are looking into the possibility at least. I'll ask him for further info and some links and post them here.

Seems like a shitload of effort and trouble though for something a modded xbox could do a lot easier and cheaper. First of all if you use xbox live you would need another 360 under the tv anyway so it doesn't save you any space. Secondly, jtag 360's are ones that need an actual hardware mod and are ones that somehow haven't been updated since last summer or something right?

Then you factor in the compability rate and issues with the emulation when you can have a modded xbox that runs games from the hard drive 100 percent natively. The only thing you miss out on is upscaling (which your screen will do anyway) and using the wireless 360 pad. Seems completely pointless to me unless you already have a jtag hacked 360, a hard drive and no means to get a nice modded original xbox

edit- that said running 360 games from the hd sounds cool

Oh I agree with everything you say, but keep in mind that Jtag'ed 360s also do emus and stuff and do them better that a modded Xbox thanks to the increase in pure powah. They also have custom dahsboards up and running so it could evolve into a nice replacement for a modded Xbox in theory.

However, in practice there are indeed several factors working against it. Media hubs are commonplace now, so a console with XBMC-like capabilities is far less attractive in 2010. And like you say, a modded Xbox will * always* be able to run XBox games better than a 360 ever will. And on top of all of that you need a 360 that hasn't been updated past a certain date as you said.

But even with all those negatives it's just a bit of interesting fun for those of us following the modding scene. A 360 version of the Wii USB Loader sounds very nice, increased BC support is interesting if nothing else, and running emus and homebrew should be a good bit of fun.

Edit: didn't read your edit before posting. Yeah, we agree on the USB loader at least. Apparently they can also do away with the artificial size limit on the 360 HDD itself, which would negate the need for any external USB HDD even. I love how creative these 1337 nerds can be!

• 4 weeks later...

Say goodbye to Halo2 this weekend:http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=220834&st=0

This is the final opportunity to play Halo2 on xbox live. We will be running custom games from 3pm on saturday afternoon until early sunday morning.

Halo 2's LIVE support is shutting down.

If you're planning on sending Halo 2 out with a bang with us, tonight's the night. Xbox Original support is getting unLIVEd in less than 14 hours. To facilitate some meet and greets, we'll be in the mix in full force from 6-11pm PST in Team Slayer (4v4 Ranked) and Big Team Battle (8v8 Social).

You don't need to find us and make us dead to win some free stuff. We'll have Halo: Reach flair for anyone who plays and plenty of other prizes on offer for anyone that achieves one of many super secret metrics we're not disclosing. Just play. That's all we ask.

If you haven't already downloaded the Halo 2 DLC, expect to invest 15-30 minutes grabbing up all the free map packs.

See you on the battlefield, Seventh Column. One last time.

Who else wants to ride this out until the end of the world? I'm guessing it'll be about 0600.

6-11pm PST would be like 4-9am tomorrow, no? unless i'm failing to factor in british summer time?

edit: no, 2-7am. because there are more than 20 hours in a 24 hour day.

edit2: i still accept no responsibility for anyone missing this because they trust my shitty maths.

i stuck the game in my 360 and started downloading a map pack and it is taking a very long time. i wonder if the map packs are compulsory - guess i'll try and find out if this first one ever finishes downloading.

wish i'd bothered with it before.. i've never played halo 2 online, despite having spent about half my university career holed up with three friends playing split screen.

almost done with the first map pack. don't think i'm going to end up getting a game.

for the last twenty minutes everyone on the mic chat has just been saying "last game of halo 2, guys" over and over, but now the occasional "when is this shit going to end?" is creeping into the conversation. it's pretty entertaining. i'm gonna have to go to work soon, though.

glad i decided not to wait and see (left about 8.30) because i probably would've just ended up late for work and still having to leave before it got switched off! still, awesome that people are able to sneak a couple of extra games in.

in my last match our team was up by about 30 kills with about two minutes left and the other guys were hiding on the far side of the map with rifles and it was all getting a bit tense. then someone on my team just said "fuck this [i imagined "...for my last game of halo 2 being wasted on these guys" being implied by that exclamation]... i'm betraying." and we all just started shooting each other and laughing, and carried on like that til the end of the game. given that i didn't come out bottom of the scoresheet and it was on one of my favourite maps and i was almost late for work and it was awesome, i decided that would be a good place to call it a morning.

also, really glad i didn't follow my first defeatist impulse and give up on downloading the map packs last night. last night's games mostly sucked for me because i am rubbish and i didn't even get to play on any of the old maps (that is, the ones so old that i remember them) but this morning was awesome - loads of good games (i even captured a flag for the first time in my halo career) and some great banter between the old hands and the "first timers" (who, of the talkative ones, mostly seemed to be people like me who played it a bunch on split screen when it came out). add to that the fun of the game not magically disintegrating at 8.00 and everyone's reactions to that, and it was a far more interesting way to begin a thursday than repeatedly hitting "snooze" on the alarm clock!