IGNORED

The Intertoto Cup

mackenie

Tyler's right I play a similar formation - a modified 4-3-3 formation, don't see why the big hullabaloo to be honest. I still conceded 6 to Tyler using it ;)

I noticed during the Man City v Arsenal game at the weekend the commentator mentioned how Man City's game has improved since changing to a 4-2-1-3 formation. I thought to myself... they're using my formation the gits! ;)

Like I said when we were arguing, I wasn't telling you not to use it, I was just saying that I don't think it's fair and why I thought so. But that's just my opinion and you have your own obviously. I didn't know that Ventieee plays the same formation more or less as Jamin until reading above, but you only need to look at their respective league tables and see how they've crushed their leagues. I'm not trying to discredit them or their skills, of course I'm not saying that anybody can just play it and win, but it isn't that hard. I just think it's a bit of a shame to see formations like that winning leagues comfortably. Just my two cents ;)

Think you might be generalising a bit there though re: "crushing their leagues". I've played around 4 or 5 people in the league and cup this season (probably more - I don't always remember to check formations) who have used pretty much the same formation against me, and not all of those people are dominating their leagues or doing particularly well. So that kind of kills off your opinion that "anybody can play like that and win".

Once I've finished my exams and have a bit more time I'm going to be in the team management for the new season having a little tinker (oo-er!) because that cup final loss to Tyler gave me pointers about possible improvements against certain tactics/formations. I think that's what is so good about FIFA - it's not all about in-game skill, there really is some deep managerial tinkering that can also help your game.

Think you might be generalising a bit there though re: "crushing their leagues". I've played around 4 or 5 people in the league and cup this season (probably more - I don't always remember to check formations) who have used pretty much the same formation against me, and not all of those people are dominating their leagues or doing particularly well. So that kind of kills off your opinion that "anybody can play like that and win".

Once I've finished my exams and have a bit more time I'm going to be in the team management for the new season having a little tinker (oo-er!) because that cup final loss to Tyler gave me pointers about possible improvements against certain tactics/formations. I think that's what is so good about FIFA - it's not all about in-game skill, there really is some deep managerial tinkering that can also help your game.

I think the managerial tinkering you talk of is one of the reasons why the 09 top guys haven't necessarily come out on top in 10. I think the road to success tactically in 10 is very different to in 09. I've still not nailed it to be honest and don't think I will now before 11 comes out. It's all a bit rock, paper, scissors in my opinion. Against some people my tactics work and against others it doesn't. I see this every day. Most games that I play online now I come up against people with 5 men attacking at once. It only frustrates me when I can't punish them for it. Sitting back, playing long balls over the back of them is effective if you've got the pace up front to do it.

I played a game against Jamin in the Semi-Final of CL and i played dirty tactics

It worked aswell up until the 89th minute when i conceded. Still, i made numerous chances with my two strikers even though there was no back-up. I am seriously considering playing a really defensive formation for next season depending on my team.

You haven't read what I've said properly have you.

of course I'm not saying that anybody can just play it and win

If you're playing the same formation against somebody who's using it as well or something similar, it's not a fair comparison to somebody who isn't using it. I'm not generalising either, I simply said yourself and Ventieee (I don't know what formation the other league winners have played) have crushed their leagues and you have, if you look at the points totals. I know you said you condeded six to Tyler, but that was a one off. Of course having one of the few five star teams in the game would help, as you've got great players, but it's not as easy when you're players range between 70-80.

I don't think that its unfair to play 4 at the back and two cdm's sitting in front. It makes for a frustrating game but like Jam said, you occasionally see it in real life football. The only thing that I find slightly unrealistic and insane is playing 5 up front and no midfield! It just wouldn't ever happen and almost de values the game in my opinion. I almost hope that Fifa 11 has some slight restrictions in formation just to keep it fairly realistic.

Before everyone starts shouting at me, I know a few of you use 5 up front and that's fair enough, just saying I wouldn't enjoy the game playing or playing against it.

Anyway, congrats on the cup mate! Looks like a little debate has taken away your glory ;)

But sir, I have read what you said!

I'm not saying that anybody can just play it and win, but it isn't that hard.

Or, what you actually mean:

I'm not saying anybody can play it and win, but most people could.

No? I'd imagine most people read it as that. Hence my disagreement with you. ;)

In my opinion your arguments don't stand up - there are plenty of weaknesses to exploit in any formation - and I don't believe there is one holy grail of a formation which will, FIFA randomisms aside, allow you to win every game.

Congrats on the double Ventieeeeee mate, i didnt have a problem when i played you with that formation, i got through ok was just finishing and ultimately you battered me, aint nothing wrong with playing a 'modified 4-3-3' or 6-0-4 whichever you wanna call it ;)

He's just jealous that you beat him lol

But sir, I have read what you said!

Or, what you actually mean:

No? I'd imagine most people read it as that. Hence my disagreement with you. ;)

In my opinion your arguments don't stand up - there are plenty of weaknesses to exploit in any formation - and I don't believe there is one holy grail of a formation which will, FIFA randomisms aside, allow you to win every game.

Of course there isn't a formation which will allow you to win every game, but there are certain formations which barely give the person your playing a glimpse of winning, relative to skill level and team choice. Which when applied to the context of this league setup, where skill and team levels are supposed to be as even as possible, makes the formation even more decisive. If there were plenty of weaknesses to exploit in this formation, it wouldn't be the choice of many of the Fifa elistists who play online. There may well be weaknesses, but they're a damn sight harder to exploit than most other formations, hence once of the reasons I imagine it is so popular.