IGNORED

Ubisoft announce Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Roboplegic Wrongcock

I'm with you sandman. Thoroughly enjoying the campaign, it's very satisfying when you and your squad pull off a perfectly executed marked kill on 4 enemies for example.

Love the stealth nature to the levels, but also enjoy the open gun fights when needed. No gripes from me.

I'm having a good time with it, too. Whilst the opening isn't especially inspiring the game's done a good job of keeping things varied since, both mechanically and aesthetically. Granted it's been some time since I played the GRAW games, but I feel like they were very samey in comparison; this is perhaps erring closer to Vegas.

All the cutscenes so far have been bobbins, of course. They tend to be the ugliest parts, too; graphically the game has the variable quality of a game that's been in development for far too long.

Ultimately multiplayer is the first item on the menu, and what I've played of it has been pretty great. Rather than being a twitch shooter the skills that really count are positioning and playing the intel game; flagging enemies and avoiding detection yourself. The unfortunate consequence of this is that you're likely to die a lot until you've got a handle on each map's layout — or at least I did! — but the counter to that is managing to flank an enemy squad and mow them all down. I also find playing support to be really satisfying: zipping around as a UAV can be invaluable when trying to take a position as any enemies in its view will be visible to your team through walls; you can even 'park' it and it'll continue to tag enemies whilst you're back in your soldier's boots, so long as no one destroys it.

Is there any way to "tag" enemy locations in multiplayer when playing as a Rifleman other than the little camera?

Also, whens the next shooter out? I'm tired of all the CoD players that are online playing this at the moment.

Lastly, anyone gone for a semi-auto trigger? So so satisfying :D

Just to say thanks to Flytipper for the multiplayer invite. It defintiely adds to the fun playing in a team even though it was a slightly frustrating affair getting dominated by those no good blaggarts. I am not sure on the multiplayer, already there are those people that know every nook and cranny of the maps and seem to be able to predict when where you will be coming from or can headshot you from miles away. Saying that though there is a definite push and feel that if you can work as a co ordinated team then you should be rewarded with more success than 8 lone wolves.

Major downside for me is that you can't play Guerilla with random players only your friends. I have never really had issues playing a coop mode with strangers as when it is not a PvP environment most have always been pretty sound and realise for them to succeed the group needs to succeed. I think Halo firefight was originally like this - strange choice really, especially when it has the option to have an open party.

Haven't really touched the campaign but from what I have seen it seems pretty well put together for a modern day shooter.

No worries Dave. Those guys were good and it's the first bad session I've had on it. Most of the games have a good ebb and flow.

I played the first bit of SP and liked it. The weapons and movement just feel good.

Well contrary to my admittedly rather low expectations, I'm really enjoying this.

The game play is nothing new for sure and it's not like Ghost Recon of old but it does do a lot of things right. The 'bounding' towards cover is executed rather well. It's smooth and intuitive and it feels great running under fire, vaulting over a wall then doing a knee slide to a prone position. The guns are suitably meaty and as mentioned already, the customisation options really do offer a tactical advantage rather than being just cosmetic. The trigger options seem insignificant but a minor tweak on set up can produce vastly different results. Using different gas settings for control and manuverability change recoil behaviours etc. Customizing the rifle really makes it unique to the user and I've become very attached to my PKM.

I was worried that the excess of gadgets would impact on the multiplayer gameplay but the balance is just fine. There's a lot of cloaked snipers around but a decent support player will spend time identifying targets and the points reward is enough to make that happen. There does seem to be a lot of goons flying around at the moment but a reasonable squad can make all the difference, tactics are moulding slowly but in a few weeks I think it'll be second nature to cover and flank etc. The ebb and flow isn't as pronounced as battlefield but it is there. On a couple of maps it does seem easy to get pinned into spawns and get a good kicking but even these situations are enjoyable because it becomes an intense firefight for survival. The online component reminds me very much of a hybrid of Socom on the PS3 and RS6.

I'd highly recommend picking this up as soon as the price starts dropping its definitely better than the lacklustre promotions suggested.

I am thoroughly enjoying the MP but really miss the old style of gameplay, it was all alot slower paced and somehow felt alot more expansive in the environments, more atmospheric and once you shot the UAV down you would sneak prone and wait to spot a miniscule trace of movement, or utterly jump out of your skin as someone made and killed you from across the map. Thats gone now sadly. I find the maps really small compared to previous games, and I far prefer a games MP maps based on places you go through in the campaign.

I understand the pacing and action changes appealing to the Gears type fans, but something of the core has been lost for me and the things that made it unique sacrificed. Its good but nowhere near as good as GRAW2 for me.

Well contrary to my admittedly rather low expectations, I'm really enjoying this.

The game play is nothing new for sure and it's not like Ghost Recon of old but it does do a lot of things right. The 'bounding' towards cover is executed rather well. It's smooth and intuitive and it feels great running under fire, vaulting over a wall then doing a knee slide to a prone position. The guns are suitably meaty and as mentioned already, the customisation options really do offer a tactical advantage rather than being just cosmetic. The trigger options seem insignificant but a minor tweak on set up can produce vastly different results. Using different gas settings for control and manuverability change recoil behaviours etc. Customizing the rifle really makes it unique to the user and I've become very attached to my PKM.

I was worried that the excess of gadgets would impact on the multiplayer gameplay but the balance is just fine. There's a lot of cloaked snipers around but a decent support player will spend time identifying targets and the points reward is enough to make that happen. There does seem to be a lot of goons flying around at the moment but a reasonable squad can make all the difference, tactics are moulding slowly but in a few weeks I think it'll be second nature to cover and flank etc. The ebb and flow isn't as pronounced as battlefield but it is there. On a couple of maps it does seem easy to get pinned into spawns and get a good kicking but even these situations are enjoyable because it becomes an intense firefight for survival. The online component reminds me very much of a hybrid of Socom on the PS3 and RS6.

I'd highly recommend picking this up as soon as the price starts dropping its definitely better than the lacklustre promotions suggested.

What does the control attribute impact for guns?

Also is there one called manuverability - I assumed that meant how fast you could run maybe?

Yeah I think control is the weapon recoil and the effect of recoil on the follow up shots accuracy whereas maneuverability is the weapon draw time from the hip and when going prone etc. Anyone up for some games tonight?

Yeah some of the weapon imbalance is brutal at the moment - got taken out on Mill from about 60 yards with an MP7, fuck knows how he'd modified it but it was super accurate. What's this U-play bollox? How do you unlock weapons through that?

• 2 weeks later...

I've really tried to love this game but I just can't, and I can't quite put my finger on why either. Been playing the campaign solo and with a friend and we both agreed it just doesn't really work. I'm not even sure I can bring myself to finish it.

There's some really good points, the cover mechanics are great, and the guns and gadgets are satisfying to use but it lacks something.

So I decided to see it out, and i'm glad I did, the difference in quality between the first half of the campaign and the second is huge. The scale is bigger, the maps are better, it's less divided and you're left to get on with it. To put it another way, the opening 5/6 levels feel like an ongoing tutorial save a few sections which are very good, after that things open up and you get to play a lot more, rather than watch.

Unless I just wasn't in the mood for it the night before, there's been a huge turnaround in quality and if the entire campaign was as good as the levels I played last night, it would be a very good game.

The last part on 'Shattered Mountain' was horrible, it's so off-kilter with the rest of the game and becomes a Gears of Modern Warfare run n' gun level. On Elite, it was a fucking ball ache. Up until that point, I'd enjoyed planning my attack, doing my best to stealth my way through levels (where possible), but that level irked me something rotten.

With that said, the campaign was reasonably easy on Elite difficulty up until that point, although your team's AI is decent enough that they tend to do most of the work; I liked it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too far in (I don;t think). Each mission is giving me something new to play with, but once I finish a mission not got much compulsion to go on, one mission a day seems enough. Bit worri...

So I decided to see it out, and i'm glad I did, the difference in quality between the first half of the campaign and the second is huge. The scale is bigger, the maps are better, it's less divided and you're left to get on with it. To put it another way, the opening 5/6 levels feel like an ongoing tutorial save a few sections which are very good, after that things open up and you get to play a lot more, rather than watch.

Good to know, I was getting worried it was just a brief tutorial for online but now I'll finish it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Playing through this at the moment, and it all feels a bit flat to me. I'm up to midway through chapter 8 or 9 (somewhere in the woods in Russia), and whilst it's quite nice taking out four guys in secret in one go, there's nothing else really gripping me about it. I've no idea what the plot is or who's who or why we keep ending up back on an Aircraft Carrier for some annoying, horrible vignettes. It just seems that they didn't know what to do with it and it's been pulled in too many directions for it to feel cohesive.

It also doesn't help that I'm playing it after Spec Ops, but I suppose that's something for another discussion.

I rented this a few weeks back, got about two missions in, got bored and sent it back.It wasn't that it was a bad game, but for some reason it didn't really 'grab' me. I played the previous 360 versions on release with friends and really enjoyed them. For whatever reason, I didn't feel the same way about this. Ah well.