Seabass promises PES 2011 'overhaul'

Bleeders

Uh oh.

Konami has pledged a series of changes for Pro Evolution Soccer 2011.

Speaking to Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang), producer Shingo "Seabass" Takatsuka said that the franchise will be given an overhaul after several years of criticism, particularly in Europe.

The series, which was accused of merely extending concepts from the NES era, will apparently change such aspects for modern-day consoles, including improved AI and player motions.

Takatsuka also said that the belief that faster movement means better control is outdated and will be amended in the next update.

The Japanese version of the game, Winning Eleven, is currently 30% complete and will release in November or December, possibly delaying the usual October release in Europe.

Although PES 2010 debuted at the top of the sales charts, competitor FIFA 10 has remained in the top ten since its release in October.

The most recent PES wasn't that bad - certainly compared to the two which preceded it. It was as if everyone was in denial for two years before finally realising that EA had caught up and overtaken its bitter rival.

That said, on normal difficulty it was embarrassingly easy. And on the highest level, AI opponents would just outright cheat.

We've

Konami has pledged a series of changes for Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.

Speaking to Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang), producer Shingo "Seabass" Takatsuka said that the franchise will be given an overhaul after several years of criticism, particularly in Europe.

The series, which was accused of merely extending concepts from the NES era, will apparently change such aspects for modern-day consoles, including improved AI and player motions.

Takatsuka also said that the belief that faster movement means better control is outdated and will be amended in the next update.

The Japanese version of the game, Winning Eleven, is currently 30% complete and will release in November or December, possibly delaying the usual October release in Europe.

Although PES6 debuted at the top of the sales charts, competitor FIFA 07 has remained in the top ten since its release in October.

heard

Konami has pledged a series of changes for Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.

Although PES 2008 debuted at the top of the sales charts, competitor FIFA 08 has remained in the top ten since its release in October.

that

Konami has pledged a series of changes for Pro Evolution Soccer 2010.

Although PES 2009 debuted at the top of the sales charts, competitor FIFA 09 has remained in the top ten since its release in October.

before.

• 2 months later...

PES 2011 officially announced

As stated before, here we go again:

"It was time for PES to transform, and PES 2011 represents the most ambitious redesign in the series' history," commented Jon Murphy, European PES Team Leader for Konami.

My favourite part of PES 2010 (on the PS3, at least) was the fact that the game featured a bug from the previous title that had been patched out (something to do with playing music stored on the system rather than from the disc), showing that they probably copy and pasted code along the way. I bet it happens again.

Do they have a heading system like Fifa has yet? One that takes into account a players position and when you jump for the ball as to who wins the header and how well. If they don't, stick it top of the list.

Quite enjoyed PES 2010 but it also has a lot of room for improvement. Maybe more a mansion with five beds and en-suite bathrooms than simply just a room but the core game is still enjoyable, particularly with mates as a quick pick-up-and-play game. Two decent football games on the shelves this Autumn would be no bad thing.

If we're talking additions, I'd like a five/six-a-side league mode, akin to Masters Football, although FIFA would probably handle such a thing better given the game's better application of skills...oh, FIFA Street, yeah that didn't work out so well. Hmmm.

I thought it was just being accused of going downhill since 4, and now being nothing but a much worse version of a 10 year old design. Ever been to a PES forum? Beyond awful, imagine Sony Defence Force comedy, but it's meant.

• 4 weeks later...

My brother still maintains that PES is better than FIFA. Every year he buys PES, and every year I tell him to buy FIFA. Every year he tells me that FIFA is for people who don't know about football games and are only interested in licensed players, and every year I tell him that FIFA has been better than PES for ages. Maybe, one year, he'll believe me.